Fulmer’s legacy?

How do you view CPF’s legacy as a coach and AD?

• Good

• Neutral

• Poor

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm sorry. Did you say SEC Championship game? is that correct? Which means won the East. Within that 5 years that it "sunk".

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. He was lucky to even get into the game and then blew a lead to lose it. And still, making that SECCG didn't bring his post NC record against top-25 teams up to a winning record.

Here's a curveball question:

Was Fulmer a better football coach than Rick Barnes is in basketball? Barnes has no national championships but has been successful everywhere he's been. There isn't much age difference between them

Was Fulmer a better football coach than Rick Barnes is in basketball? Barnes has no national championships but has been successful everywhere he's been. There isn't much age difference between them
I am having trouble remembering who hired Fulmer after he was fired.

That's a fantastic question.

Part of me wants to say yes because Fulmer has a title. At the same time, Barnes has been around for much longer and his success isn't UT-centric; he's made the Sweet 16 with 3 different schools. Barnes faded towards the end of his Texas tenure like Fulmer faded towards the end of his Tennessee tenure, but then went and had a career renaissance at another school unlike Fulmer.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
That's a fantastic question.

Part of me wants to say yes because Fulmer has a title. At the same time, Barnes has been around for much longer and his success isn't UT-centric; he's made the Sweet 16 with 3 different schools. Barnes faded towards the end of his Texas tenure like Fulmer faded towards the end of his Tennessee tenure, but then went and had a career renaissance at another school unlike Fulmer.
Yeah, IMHO it's not that close

IMO Fulmer had to have top Coordinators, with Cut he was great without him he was mediocre. Barnes has been very consistently good over his whole career. Texas messed up getting rid of him IMO. Barnes had 382 victories@ Texas in 16 years that just over 23 a year he is a great coach.

I have quite a bit of doubt.

Fulmer should have retired after the 98 championship like his wife wanted and have Cutt take over as head coach.

Look at this record with and without coach Cutt, there is a noticeable decline.

Fulmer should have been let go no later than 2004 as he was coasting and all he wanted to do was have more wins than Neyland and I believe he admitted at one point that he was just coasting.

I will say he was a great recruiter; however, as I stated before he squandered quite a bit of talent and no one is going to deny that he was worse than a train wreck as AD.

We are just at opposite ends of the spectrum here, but I say that Fulmer set the blocks in place for the decade of dysfunction and he bookended it with his AD performance.
If you look at Fulmer's coaching style, it mirrored Saban. Saban changed and Fulmer was in the process of changing when he hired Dave Clausen. Clausen's system takes more than a year to implement, and we'll never know how it may have worked out with the Vols. If he had been successful, he may have succeeded Fulmer. Clausen has been successful as a head coach at lesser programs.

To be fair, you can say that about any college coach, good or bad, who has ever lived. The entire point of college coaching is to take the field with more talent than your opponent. How many games did Saban, Bobby Bowden, Tom Osborne, and Bear Bryant win with equal or lesser talent? Very little.

One critique about Fulmer that I will make is that he rarely seemed to squeeze all the juice out of the orange (pun intended). He didn't seem to elevate anyone beyond what that player's recruiting assessment would indicate. And towards the end of his tenure, his rosters were littered with busts.
There's an old saying something like 'he can take his and beat yours and he can take yours and beat his'. That was never said about Phil Fulmer. Another way of looking at your question is how many games did those coaches lose when they had superior talent? I'd say not as many as Fulmer.
You're right about what he got out of his players. They seldom exceded expectations and they often played flat.

Reactions: 05_never_again
If you look at Fulmer's coaching style, it mirrored Saban. Saban changed and Fulmer was in the process of changing when he hired Dave Clausen. Clausen's system takes more than a year to implement, and we'll never know how it may have worked out with the Vols. If he had been successful, he may have succeeded Fulmer. Clausen has been successful as a head coach at lesser programs.
Fulmer's style may have mirrored Saban's in ways but Saban's got about 30 IQ points on Phil and that makes a difference.
With Clawson it looked like Phil's meddling resulted in only partial use of Clawson's scheme, with poor results. Phil was never comfortable with assistants that could show him up. I guess that came from how he got his job.

That wasn’t Fulmer.
Fuller served as head coach at Tennessee from 1992 to 2008. is record was 152-52. He had 9 teams which won 10 or more games. He had 18 first team all Americans and 70 Vols were first team all SEC. He had 17 first round NFL Draft selections and 91 who players were selected overall. I think he has earned his place of honor in the Tennessee football history.

Fuller served as head coach at Tennessee from 1992 to 2008. is record was 152-52. He had 9 teams which won 10 or more games. He had 18 first team all Americans and 70 Vols were first team all SEC. He had 17 first round NFL Draft selections and 91 who players were selected overall. I think he has earned his place of honor in the Tennessee football history.
Most unearned checks cashed?

Reactions: EasternVol
Johnny Majors returned to coach those games in 1992. Fulmer coached the first 3 games and the bowl game.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Clausen forced on Fulmer?

If my memory serves me I think I remember that being an AD decision that Fulmer had to agree to in order to remain head coach and he kept tampering in what Clausen was trying to do as Fulmer did not trust him.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Clausen forced on Fulmer?

If my memory serves me I think I remember that being an AD decision that Fulmer had to agree to in order to remain head coach and he kept tampering in what Clausen was trying to do as Fulmer did not trust him.
I don't know if Clawson was forced on Fulmer or not. I know he was doing very well as head coach at Richmond before he joined the Vols.

VN Store

Back