From a long time die hard UCONN fan.

It's been awhile since I've posted here. My wife heard the news of Coach Summitt's passing first and let me know. My wife doesn't follow WCBB as intently as I do but she knew I would be quite saddened by the news.

I think that by osmosis of sorts, she came to respect her as much as I did and was also pretty upset.

We both wore orange to work on Tuesday - a small sign of respect to be sure.

BTW, I don't think I ever shared this story here but I hope you'll find it appropriate. I worked for a year at Hudson High school in WI. Most years they have one of the strongest wrestling programs in the state. Above the entrance way leading into their practice room, the coaches have painted inspirational sayings regarding hard work and being true to yourself. All of the quotes are from Coach Summitt and are attributed to her?

Reactions: 4 people
Let me perhaps expand on what I've said. I'm a fan of WBB. The trail that Pat blazed wasn't merely extraordinary. It was singular. I've always responded with dismay on the Boneyard at those in both of our camps that just can let the past go. As one fellow poster on the BY has said, I've learned to give those people a wide berth. It's been my contention that the rivalry between our two teams created a wave of interest that catapulted WBB to since unparalleled heights. It's been my contention that said rivalry was responsible eventually for the WNBA. It's also my contention that WBB needs rivalries of this type to propel WBB to those heights again. Many on the BY feel as I do, that the invectives thrown against the walls of our respective camps needs to stop. It's my hope that the future brings, if not reconciliation, then at least an easier peace between our two sides. Hopefully that future will find the adult in all of us will prevail.

Reactions: 3 people
Let me perhaps expand on what I've said. I'm a fan of WBB. The trail that Pat blazed wasn't merely extraordinary. It was singular. I've always responded with dismay on the Boneyard at those in both of our camps that just can let the past go. As one fellow poster on the BY has said, I've learned to give those people a wide berth. It's been my contention that the rivalry between our two teams created a wave of interest that catapulted WBB to since unparalleled heights. It's been my contention that said rivalry was responsible eventually for the WNBA. It's also my contention that WBB needs rivalries of this type to propel WBB to those heights again. Many on the BY feel as I do, that the invectives thrown against the walls of our respective camps needs to stop. It's my hope that the future brings, if not reconciliation, then at least an easier peace between our two sides. Hopefully that future will find the adult in all of us will prevail.

People like to post this on here but it really isn't true. The WNBA was approved by a vote of the NBA Board of Governors on April 24th, 1996. That was just 15 months after Tenn/UConn played for the first time. They had only played 4 times to that point. The rivalry was just getting started. The growth in popularity of the women's game internationally is what convinced David Stern that the WNBA could one day be financially solvent (it still isn't after 19 years).

I agree with everything else you posted though.

People like to post this on here but it really isn't true. The WNBA was approved by a vote of the NBA Board of Governors on April 24th, 1996. That was just 15 months after Tenn/UConn played for the first time. They had only played 4 times to that point. The rivalry was just getting started. The growth in popularity of the women's game internationally is what convinced David Stern that the WNBA could one day be financially solvent (it still isn't after 19 years).

I agree with everything else you posted though.

You said "people like to post that here"?????? This is my first time seeing someone bring that up.

Reactions: 2 people
I am facing the imminent loss of an older brother, USAF vet, due to long term kidney issues and now dementia problems.

I honestly can't say that I feel any different for him than I do for Coach Summitt. It is a loss of FAMILY.

May GOD bless and keep them.

Well, my brother has passed! His long years of illness and pain has come to an end. May he forever RIP.

Reactions: 2 people
Gule, so sorry for your loss. Although we don't always see eye to eye on basketball, I'm very sorry about your brother's suffering and his family's loss.

Thank you all. Thankfully, he had a full life, filled with fun and family. He spent 24 years in the USAF, was a Vietnam vet. Married a wonderful Montana girl and spent all his years after the service living there. He still followed the Vols and always wore Orange. :)

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back