From a long time die hard UCONN fan.

And to be honest I think that we need to have a trophy or an award in her name. Possibly the womens national championship trophy could be the Pat Summitt trophy or something to that equivalent. We definitely need to show some sort of appreciation that way.

Reactions: 5 people
And to be honest I think that we need to have a trophy or an award in her name. Possibly the womens national championship trophy could be the Pat Summitt trophy or something to that equivalent. We definitely need to show some sort of appreciation that way.

Agreed. Pat made womens basketball what it is, and what it will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I just wanted to say that I got into women's college basketball in 1995 because of the Resurgence of Connecticut basketball at that time and have been a die-hard since that season. I knew about Coach Summit health because of the news but I did not realize how far along and how bad it is. I know that we are rivals on the court but reading what I just read about her condition literally felt like a kick to my stomach. Women's basketball is up and coming but it would be absolutely nowhere close to where it is without coach Summit Connecticut basketball wouldn't be what it is without coach Summit and we may have given her grief when she came to visit but that's just because she was on the other side of the lines. She is an absolute Legend and most if not all UConn fans hold her in very high regard. the ones that do not are just ignorant. I want to see coach Summit for all she has done for the sport because we will never see another one like her she is it true Pioneer and an absolute Legend and she will always have a place in this UConn fans heart.

Kind words and a very nice gesture

I just wanted to say that I got into women's college basketball in 1995 because of the Resurgence of Connecticut basketball at that time and have been a die-hard since that season. I knew about Coach Summit health because of the news but I did not realize how far along and how bad it is. I know that we are rivals on the court but reading what I just read about her condition literally felt like a kick to my stomach. Women's basketball is up and coming but it would be absolutely nowhere close to where it is without coach Summit Connecticut basketball wouldn't be what it is without coach Summit and we may have given her grief when she came to visit but that's just because she was on the other side of the lines. She is an absolute Legend and most if not all UConn fans hold her in very high regard. the ones that do not are just ignorant. I want to see coach Summit for all she has done for the sport because we will never see another one like her she is it true Pioneer and an absolute Legend and she will always have a place in this UConn fans heart.

I apologize if this was rambling and for any grammar mistakes as I am talking into my cell phone and it is typing for me.

Pure class! Thank you for coming!!

I apologize if this was rambling and for any grammar mistakes as I am talking into my cell phone and it is typing for me.

Very classy post. Thanks :hi:

Another Husky fan here. Pat will go down as the mother of modern women's hoops.....not only the college game, but also the pro game.

Pat's legacy is without question. We loved her. May she rest in peace.

Reactions: 7 people
I for one appreciate rival fans coming here to share their respect and sympathy, and I've only seen one classless post, which was unfortunately by a Vol fan.

Time to set aside rivalry and sniping to remember the woman who did so much for ALL women's basketball.

RIP Pat Head Summitt. :hi:

Reactions: 3 people
Madtown, I took it as they did not want to intrude in the "family" thread but wanted to express their sympathy and respect for Pat. So Majesty started a thread to do so. It's difficult to know, since we have so many resident uconn trolls on VN, but giving Maj and LVCT the benefit of the doubt and accepting them as they say they are...respecters of our CPS and sharers of our grief.

I believe (hope) these two are posting because they feel the pain and have the respect.

I completely agree that anyone who takes the time to send well wishes to others during a time of mourning is showing a lot of class and these gestures should be interpreted as nothing but noble and sincere... I also think these same kind words would have had more impact and been more impressive if they had been made in 2008 when there was extreme acrimony between the two programs. However, most of the rhetoric coming from UConn fans back then toward Pat Summitt was mean spirited and immature. It's much easier to say kind things for the recently departed when hearts have been softened but much harder when petty emotions are in the way.

I too am a long time Husky fan. I am also a long time voice for reconciliation between the more strident anti-Lady Vol, anti-UConn posters. More to the point I am also one whose mother suffers from the advancing stages of Alzheimer's and I am aware of the effect it has on my family, my friends and I. More so my sympathy goes to the victims of this insidious disease. My respect for Pat has always transcended any animosity shown by either side of the gulf between us. Without Pat this sport and these great athletes which we all love and to which we devote our fandom would never have achieved the respect it and they deserve. It's my opinion without the great rivalry between our two teams the WNBA would never have come to fruition. Pat's battle is won now and we all wish her peace. Pat is and will always remain the Queen of WBB. All of us right thinking Husky fans join with you in saying, long may she reign.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. Ignore the shade- a lot of pent up anger in folks, it's just hard to let go sometimes. Your sentiments are absolutely welcome here.

As I was watching the numerous tributes to Pat today on TV I was thinking if someone does eventually pass her wins mark, it will be hard not to think that Pat had many many more wins left in front of her if it weren't for this terrible disease. She very easily could have made that wins record an almost untouchable record.

Reactions: 5 people
As I was watching the numerous tributes to Pat today on TV I was thinking if someone does eventually pass her wins mark, it will be hard not to think that Pat had many many more wins left in front of her if it weren't for this terrible disease. She very easily could have made that wins record an almost untouchable record.

Had she been well, I think we'd be pacing each other just as we always used to - we definitely would have made 1 or 2 more Final Fours. I recall a game one or two years before she announced anything where some of my family noticed she seemed out of it at the end - the other team rallied and won and she just didn't show any of her fire or intensity. I remember we talked about whether she was sick or had some other problem. One can only wonder if things had started changing even earlier than we might suspect. But had she stayed sharp, stayed herself, the play, the recruiting, it all would have been better. Such is life. It's rare to have something that transcends the standard; you yourself well know that feeling too, that impression when you see something so good that its quality is unmistakable. But such is life. No matter what chances the disease took from her, it will never claim her legacy - which is equally unmistakable.

Had she been well, I think we'd be pacing each other just as we always used to - we definitely would have made 1 or 2 more Final Fours. I recall a game one or two years before she announced anything where some of my family noticed she seemed out of it at the end - the other team rallied and won and she just didn't show any of her fire or intensity. I remember we talked about whether she was sick or had some other problem. One can only wonder if things had started changing even earlier than we might suspect. But had she stayed sharp, stayed herself, the play, the recruiting, it all would have been better. Such is life. It's rare to have something that transcends the standard; you yourself well know that feeling too, that impression when you see something so good that its quality is unmistakable. But such is life. No matter what chances the disease took from her, it will never claim her legacy - which is equally unmistakable.

It's crazy that you noticed that cause my friends and I said the exact same thing. I forget what game it was but I believe it was during the SEC tournament. There's no doubt in my mind that we'd have another banner or two in the rafters if Pat had still been able to coach. We had Kaela Davis coming to UT her freshman year, although a lot of people say DD and Davis would have never played together in college, I don't believe Pat would have let those two get away from her. DD has said she'd always wanted to come here, but changed her mind after she knew Summitt wouldn't be the coach. Imagine DD and Davis alongside Harrison....I hate this had to happen to our coach. No telling what other recruits would be at UT had Pat still been here.

Reactions: 2 people
Our love and prayers to the family of Pat Summitt and the Lady Vol Nation.

In many conversations, vocal minorities are often allowed to represent the thoughts and opinions of the majority.

I am an '83 UConn grad, love women's basketball, and have not heard anyone in my sphere of influence ever say anything but the obvious ... Pat Summitt has always been someone to admire and appreciate.

It took a little time and effort to register to be able to post on this forum. We are sad at Coach Summitt's passing because ALL of us lost someone special!

I heard the statement by her son Tyler read yesterday on our K-Love radio station here in CT and I thought it was appropriate to sign into this Lady Vol forum. Pat Summitt demonstrated love during her life ... let's all carry on that legacy.

Our prayers are with you.

Last edited:

In many conversations, vocal minorities are often allowed to represent the thoughts and opinions of the majority.

I am an '83 UConn grad, love women's basketball, and have not heard anyone in my sphere of influence ever say anything but the obvious ... Pat Summitt has always been someone to admire and appreciate.

It took a little time and effort to register to be able to post on this forum. We are sad at Coach Summitt's passing because ALL of us lost someone special!

I heard the statement by her son Tyler read yesterday on our K-Love radio station here in CT and I thought it was appropriate to sign into this Lady Vol forum. Pat Summitt demonstrated love during her life ... let's all carry on that legacy.

Great first post, and thank you. Welcome to the board.

My level of respect has grown for you UCONN fans. Although I can't stand you on the court, I will respect you from here on. Thank you for your support and kind words to us here Volnation. It's nice to see the respect that she had outside of Tennessee.

My level of respect has grown for you UCONN fans. Although I can't stand you on the court, I will respect you from here on. Thank you for your support and kind words to us here Volnation. It's nice to see the respect that she had outside of Tennessee.

Unfortunately the uconn fans we know are mainly the trolls who come on our board; we don't know the regular uconn fan. I've met a few on trips and am always surprised at how nice they are....because the standard I have to evaluate them is the uconn regular posters here. We are now getting some of the regular uconn basketball lovers and they give us a much better perspective. And they all seem to be relatively new/infrequent posters, if you notice the ones we have all come to know have been least in sight(post:question:)).
Anyway, welcome to all the true representatives of uconn sports; it's really nice to get to know you all:hi:. And tell Huskynan I've always appreciated her control of your board (I lurk about 1-2 times a year:whistling:). She's very "Pat like"; a strong lady.

If you are listening to KLOVE....your a follower of Christ, welcome

I'll go a little further and say the Boneyard has had a very nice Thread called, RIP Pat Summitt, that gave great respect to Pat....Husky Nan, the administrator, was very careful to keep out of the Thread any posters that tried to snipe the Thread...Thank you to her, and thanks to the great UConn posters that have honored our coach...

As an adult, it is nice to see our two camps come together over the loss of this national treasure. I have read so many tributes that I have been amazed at Pat's national appreciation...When the New York Yankees, delay their game to honor Pat, to me, that is big time. And yes, Pat was Big Time.

...When the New York Yankees, delay their game to honor Pat, to me, that is big time. And yes, Pat was Big Time.

I didn't realize that had happened. Thanks for posting that GameTime. Wow, speeches on the Senate floor, the Yankees, everybody has really noticed this.

Sat with coach Pat at a luncheon some years ago, sat at a table next to coach Shula in Jackson Tn one night (he was after Ed too Tall Jones), the excitement level for Pat was much higher than for Shula.

For many years when I travel on any trips I always wear lots of Orange. Been all over this country wearing Orange.

The comments and discussions 90% of the time are about Coach Summitt and the Lady Vols. Not Football or mens basketball or any other sport. Just Lady Vols and how great Coach was.

Been that way for the last 30 years..

VN Store

Back