Freshmen of the year predictions:

skasper06

Offense: Jalen Hurd. 190 attempts, 780 yards, 8 TD's

I know a lot of people would predict Ferguson here but but I still think it will be Worley starting under center for us. Coach Jones has no reason whatsoever to start a quarterback who has never taken a snap in college football over the experience and leadership of a senior QB. Hurd will probably split carries with Marlin Lane right down the middle and might even start before the season is over with. If he stays healthy, he will be a bigger, faster, harder-hitting version of Jamal Lewis.

Defense: Todd Kelly Jr. 56 Tackles, 2 INt's, 1 FF

I think Dillon Bates will make an impact in the rotation of linebackers, but I don't think he starts right away when he can learn and develop under Maggitt, Johnson and Weatherd. I do think however that TKJr will start at Safety on August 30th (and every other game) and will make a big impact immediately to help a struggling secondary. I'd expect TK to start all four years.

Special Teams: Vic Wharton. 22 yard KO return avg. 2 TD

I read somewhere that Wharton returned 20 punts/kicks for touchdowns during his HS career. That's NUTS. The guy is a track star and apparently knows how to read the field and blocks. Once he gets used to the speed of the college game and build chemistry with these guys, he will be a nasty return man. I do hope Aaron Medley succeeds early (we will need it). But he is a freshman kicker in the SEC. I do think he will be a good kicker, but he may miss a few here and there.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I think you need to temper your expectations of the freshman, and just let them get acclimated to the speed of the game

Reactions: 7 people

I know a lot of people would predict Ferguson here but but I still think it will be Worley starting under center for us. Coach Jones has no reason whatsoever to start a quarterback who has never taken a snap in college football over the experience and leadership of a senior QB. Hurd will probably split carries with Marlin Lane right down the middle and might even start before the season is over with. If he stays healthy, he will be a bigger, faster, harder-hitting version of Jamal Lewis.

I think Dillon Bates will make an impact in the rotation of linebackers, but I don't think he starts right away when he can learn and develop under Maggitt, Johnson and Weatherd. I do think however that TKJr will start at Safety on August 30th (and every other game) and will make a big impact immediately to help a struggling secondary. I'd expect TK to start all four years.

Special Teams: Vic Wharton. 32 yard KO return avg. 2 TD

I read somewhere that Wharton returned 20 punts/kicks for touchdowns this year alone. That's NUTS. The guy is a track star and apparently knows how to read the field and blocks. Once he gets used to the speed of the college game and build chemistry with these guys, he will be a nasty return man. I do hope Aaron Medley succeeds early (we will need it). But he is a freshman kicker in the SEC. I do think he will be a good kicker, but he may miss a few here and there.

What do you guys think?

That is a big statement regarding Jamal Lewis. He was the size of a coke machine and had a jet engine strapped to his back..

Reactions: 3 people
That is a big statement regarding Jamal Lewis. He was the size of a coke machine and had a jet engine strapped to his back..

I don't think Hurd will be the better Jamal Lewis this year...but by his junior year if he stays healthy. Yes.

32 yards per kick off return? Seriously? Last year, in the FBS, only 2 players with more than 10 returns managed to do that. It's a little overboard to expect Wharton to do what only the most elite return men do, right out of the gate.

Reactions: 2 people
Build them up in the offseason so you can call them busts when they fall short of your lofty expectations next season.

It's the VN way.

Reactions: 8 people
You are completely out of your mind with these predictions. There are do many things to respond to I dont know where to start. Ill just say that at this point in his career Hurd has a lot to do before he can be compared to Jamaal and for someone to say better than... that's asinine! If TKjr starts at TN for three years you probably won't even have him on campus for the fourth. .. and Wharton had 20 returns for IN HIS HIGH SCHOOL CAREER, not this year

Reactions: 1 person
32 yards per kick off return? Seriously? Last year, in the FBS, only 2 players with more than 10 returns managed to do that. It's a little overboard to expect Wharton to do what only the most elite return men do, right out of the gate.

Yeah. You're right. My bad. I didn't think about that. I was just doing some optimistic football math in my head. Would probably be more like 22. Will edit.

You are completely out of your mind with these predictions. There are do many things to respond to I dont know where to start. Ill just say that at this point in his career Hurd has a lot to do before he can be compared to Jamaal and for someone to say better than... that's asinine! If TKjr starts at TN for three years you probably won't even have him on campus for the fourth. .. and Wharton had 20 returns for IN HIS HIGH SCHOOL CAREER, not this year

I hardly call it asinine. Jamal himself even thinks Hurd will be nasty. Heaven forbid someone predicts a player could be as good or even better than a Vol Legend. VN goes apes@#t.

And my bad on the Wharton thing. I said I read it somewhere...meaning I didn't know if it was 100% accurate or not. But it is still pretty crazy.

Sorry for the interruption though. Troll on. :)

I hope Vic will averagfe more than 22 yards a return on KO's even if he doesn't have any taken to the house. I think every good returner should average 25+.

Special Teams: Vic Wharton. 22 yard KO return avg. 2 TD

I read somewhere that Wharton returned 20 punts/kicks for touchdowns during his HS career. That's NUTS. The guy is a track star and apparently knows how to read the field and blocks. Once he gets used to the speed of the college game and build chemistry with these guys, he will be a nasty return man. I do hope Aaron Medley succeeds early (we will need it). But he is a freshman kicker in the SEC. I do think he will be a good kicker, but he may miss a few here and there.

What do you guys think?

I love your optimism OP. However, I think that Hurd will have better overall production than his counter parts just merely because of how many more touches he will get than they do. With that being said, I hope they all perform better and better with each game, that's all we can really hope for. If we get better with each game, we will get the results we desire. :hi:

I think Cortez McDowell might be the sleeper in the class. He reminds me a lot of Deion Grant. Big, rangy safety. He's gotta be faster than McNeil...

I think Cortez McDowell might be the sleeper in the class. He reminds me a lot of Deion Grant. Big, rangy safety. He's gotta be faster than McNeil...

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but McNeil is, or was, the fastest guy in the secondary.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but McNeil is, or was, the fastest guy in the secondary.

I found pic of the finish of his race with AJ.

the_great_turtle_snail_race_invitation-r4b12e8ae2d9a452098e55b48578988da_imtqg_8byvr_512.jpg

I have no idea if you are right

Instead of flaming the OP for optimistic expectations why don't we put up our own thoughts for FOTY like this thread intended.

For me I'll take the safe money on Hurd. He's got all the physical tools needed. It seems like he's got the mental part down as well. Already a leader. Couple all that with the immediate playing time and I predict the OP may be correct on his expectations.

I think it's a good sign when we may be expecting a little more out of some of these recruits than is reasonable. We have some good talent coming in and one may break out but that is not the norm. From a strictly physical standpoint, I would say Hurd has the best chance but due to a new OL, that may not be possible. Evan Berry is the sleeper for me. Eric has said that Evan is the best athlete in the family. Good enough for me.

:rock::rock::rock:

Jamal was terrific, but he became very tentative after his injure. He may have been saving himself for the NFL. I expect Jalen to give he all his entire stay @ Tennessee.

While those numbers may be a little high, I see no reason NOT to be enthusiastic about the incoming freshmen...so tired of all of the negativity. I would HOPE you guys would WANT our freshman to produce like this...because it means we surprise a lot of people this year, and maybe even shut up some bammers in the process! GBO!

:hi: :rock: :)

I think this freshman class will create peace in the middle east, solve world hunger, and balance the budget. Only after they each do what no other freshman has dont before at their respective positions.

VN Store

Back