Freshmen of the year predictions:

I've tempered my expectations for Hurd. He's coming off back to back season ending shoulder surgeries on the same shoulder. I'm expecting him to not even play.

That way, if he plays at all, he has exceeded my expectations. But, to expect him to be Jamal Lewis is just unfair. Let him prove it on the field, and be the first Jalen Hurd

Offense: Jalen Hurd. 190 attempts, 780 yards, 8 TD's

Defense: Todd Kelly Jr. 56 Tackles, 2 INt's, 1 FF

Special Teams: Vic Wharton. 22 yard KO return avg. 2 TD

I do hope Aaron Medley succeeds early (we will need it).

Bryce Brown's freshmen stats: 101 attempts, 460 yards, 3 TD. He was running 2nd in the rotation behind a much better back than Lane and the O-line had 2 walk on 265lbers starting. I remember being disappointed in "the #1 ranked recruit in 2008", thinking he would be much more explosive than he was. Also, I thought Poole deserved more of the back up carries than he got in 2009. I don't think its a stretch at all for Hurd to perform significantly better than this if he stays healthy. RB is a position with the opportunity for immediate playing time.

I love Kelly also, but it will be unusual for a true freshmen to come in and start immediately over a returning starter who was a highly ranked recruit himself coming out of HS. Kelly shows up with an SEC ready body. We should all be excited if he's named the starter as he will have to clearly prove himself to the coaches for this to happen IMHO.

I'll be surprised to see Warton make a big impact next season. I see him as a solid prospect but not one to unseat returning starters.

AM needs to be the kicker we expect next season. Most of the best we've had were good the day they showed up on campus.

While those numbers may be a little high, I see no reason NOT to be enthusiastic about the incoming freshmen...so tired of all of the negativity. I would HOPE you guys would WANT our freshman to produce like this...because it means we surprise a lot of people this year, and maybe even shut up some bammers in the process! GBO!

:hi: :rock: :)

dont disagree with you but many CREATE their own expectations for these players. And when the player doesnt reach that expectation they flip out, tweet the player that he sucks, create websites to fire the coaches, frequent vol calls, and join volnation.

Id like to see big things out of bates, I think hurd could achieve those numbers but with a whole new OL in place that might be difficult

dont disagree with you but many CREATE their own expectations for these players. And when the player doesnt reach that expectation they flip out, tweet the player that he sucks, create websites to fire the coaches, frequent vol calls, and join volnation.

I am OP and I can tell you, that has never happened. I might get frustrated (like any fan) when our team does poorly, but I don't melt down when a recruit expected to do well has struggles...and I DEFINITELY don't tweet them or say anything directly to them about their play. They face enough from the media. They don't need it from their own Vol family.

Don't listen to 'em OP. I think your predicted numbers are definitely possible. I completely agree that TKJr is going to be a starter at safety and those numbers seem about right to me. I think Hurd will eventually be a star, but I think Lane is going to have a big year, so I'm going to go with Malone as the oustanding offensive Freshman. North, Pig and Pearson will take a lot of pressure off and I think Malone will make some key plays for us like North did last year!

Reactions: 1 person
Bryce Brown's freshmen stats: 101 attempts, 460 yards, 3 TD.

I didn't like the fact that Kiffie gave Brown the backup role to get him and his dad to commit - with Tauren Poole getting close to nothing on the bench. But in Brown's defense, he was hurt almost the entire season, or his stats would have been better.

i think hurd will have the biggest impact this year, but i think malone and todd kelly will make a impact too, and watching dillion bates at the under armor game he has good fundamentals and can fly to the ball i think he will see the field alot.

I didn't like the fact that Kiffie gave Brown the backup role to get him and his dad to commit - with Tauren Poole getting close to nothing on the bench. But in Brown's defense, he was hurt almost the entire season, or his stats would have been better.

Seeing Brown now in Philly I wish Dooley had "re-recruited" him. He looks elite.

Even the best RB of all time may have trouble with a new oline in the SEC. I got to be conservative and hope the new K will make us proud.

VN Store

Back