Florida names Luke Del Rio starting QB for Sept. 3 opener vs. UMass

Mixed reviews on Del Rio's practice and scrimmage performances so far...but he's not Treon Harris, so that's an automatic improvement.

Regardless of how well Del Rio plays, Kyle Trask is the future, with Jake Allen waiting in the wings.

I thought CJM liked a mobile QB?

From everything I've read, this guy is a statue. How's your O line looking?

I thought he was mobile? Is he not? If not, I am not sure what the fuss is about then because Harris made a lot of plays out of nothing.

The Gator fans I've seen already are considering this guy the next coming of Jesus based off his Spring Game.

McElwain likes mobile QBs? That's news to me.

Coach Mac didn't have a mobile QB at CSU (pretty sure Garrett Grayson had negative rushing yards in 2014), and he didn't have one at Bama as their OC.

OL lost a starter to a knee injury, but the unit as a whole has improved significantly over last year...hell they couldn't get any worse.

McElwain likes mobile QBs? That's news to me.

Coach Mac didn't have a mobile QB at CSU (pretty sure Garrett Grayson had negative rushing yards in 2014), and he didn't have one at Bama as their OC.

OL lost a starter to a knee injury, but the unit as a whole has improved significantly over last year...hell they couldn't get any worse.

That's why I said "I thought" instead of making it an absolute.

Either way, I see from his time in Oregon State he tends to stay in the pocket. That could prove to be fatal.

The Gator fans I've seen already are considering this guy the next coming of Jesus based off his Spring Game.

but is on his third school and couldnt win the job at garbage Oregon State haha. Also the Appleby kid who is the backup is terrible. Saw him last yr against Marshall and he looked atrocious. Pretty sure he got pulled.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Mixed reviews on Del Rio's practice and scrimmage performances so far...but he's not Treon Harris, so that's an automatic improvement.

Regardless of how well Del Rio plays, Kyle Trask is the future, with Jake Allen waiting in the wings.

Couple of questions. What is your view on the game and what is your view of your defense? I've seen posters on gator sites thrilled with him and stating he is better than grier and that the defense will be better than last year (I don't see that) and that the defensive line is one the best Florida has had in the last 10 years. I admittedly know little about the UF roster. Your thoughts?

Couple of questions. What is your view on the game and what is your view of your defense? I've seen posters on gator sites thrilled with him and stating he is better than grier and that the defense will be better than last year (I don't see that) and that the defensive line is one the best Florida has had in the last 10 years. I admittedly know little about the UF roster. Your thoughts?

Our defense will not be better than last year. It will be very good, but last year's squad was elite. Tabor is beginning to wear on the coaching staff...stay tuned there.

More than a few insiders said Del Rio would have started over Grier last year had he been eligible, so take that for what it's worth.

Del Rio isn't as good an athlete as Grier, but that's not required in McElwain's offense (with apologies to Grand Vol for not being courteous enough in my previous posts). :good!:

Our defense will not be better than last year. It will be very good, but last year's squad was elite. Tabor is beginning to wear on the coaching staff...stay tuned there.

More than a few insiders said Del Rio would have started over Grier last year had he been eligible, so take that for what it's worth.

Del Rio isn't as good an athlete as Grier, but that's not required in McElwain's offense (with apologies to Grand Vol for not being courteous enough in my previous posts). :good!:

Hard for me to see on Grier and Del Rio. I just cant see the transfer situation if Del Rio was that talented but I'm not a talent scout. Will be interesting with his first road start here. Current thoughts on how our game goes? I think many UF fans would view it differently if last year we didn't give up the lead like that. Shoot, the last 2 years could have very easily been UT wins.

Edit: Do you think Tabor makes it to the game against UT?

Hard for me to see on Grier and Del Rio. I just cant see the transfer situation if Del Rio was that talented but I'm not a talent scout. Will be interesting with his first road start here. Current thoughts on how our game goes? I think many UF fans would view it differently if last year we didn't give up the lead like that. Shoot, the last 2 years could have very easily been UT wins.

Edit: Do you think Tabor makes it to the game against UT?

50/50 on Tabor making it through the entire season. He should survive long enough to play in Knoxville if he keeps his head out of his ass...easier said than done.

This year's game feels a lot like 2012. UT destroyed a Power 5 team on opening night and had all kinds of momentum headed into our game, then they fell flat when UF actually showed up, competed and tried to win. Crazy right?

I don't expect a Butch Jones coached team to quit like you guys did in 2012, but I also wouldn't completely trust Butch Jones until he gets the monkey off his back.

This is UT's most talented team since the mid 2000s, playing at home as a favorite against a team breaking in a new QB.

UF better hope Del Rio is closer to Ole Miss Will Grier than UK/Mizzou/1st 3 quarters vs UT Will Grier.

UT better hope all that momentum at the end of the season wasn't a function of playing poor competition.

I'm holding out on a prediction just yet...I need to see what Del Rio brings to the table first.

I feel like the coaching edge UF had has narrowed with Shoop in the fold at UT. That said, even if UT beats us I'm not sold on Butch Jones unless you guys win the East.

Reactions: 2 people
50/50 on Tabor making it through the entire season. He should survive long enough to play in Knoxville if he keeps his head out of his ass...easier said than done.

This year's game feels a lot like 2012. UT destroyed a Power 5 team on opening night and had all kinds of momentum headed into our game, then they fell flat when UF actually showed up, competed and tried to win. Crazy right?

I don't expect a Butch Jones coached team to quit like you guys did in 2012, but I also wouldn't completely trust Butch Jones until he gets the monkey off his back.

This is UT's most talented team since the mid 2000s, playing at home as a favorite against a team breaking in a new QB.

UF better hope Del Rio is closer to Ole Miss Will Grier than UK/Mizzou/1st 3 quarters vs UT Will Grier.

UT better hope all that momentum at the end of the season wasn't a function of playing poor competition.

I'm holding out on a prediction just yet...I need to see what Del Rio brings to the table first.

I feel like the coaching edge UF had has narrowed with Shoop in the fold at UT. That said, even if UT beats us I'm not sold on Butch Jones unless you guys win the East.

I feel like we really won't know what Del Rio brings to the table until Knoxville. Maybe, but KY is the only "competition" and I don't think that will be much of a contest. I don't know what can be observed by the games ahead of UT. I feel confident in saying the UT defense will be much stronger than anything he has seen up to that point. I envision quick passes and screens etc from FL to try and neutralize any pass rush.

I think the real contest comes down to UT rushing vs Florida defense and what improvements are made in passing game. Croom at TE this year may be a big advantage for us. We can put 2 wide receiver and 2 te on the field in running position taking the defense out of nickel and split out if need be to 4 wide with that set. Will be an interesting chess match.

I feel like we really won't know what Del Rio brings to the table until Knoxville. Maybe, but KY is the only "competition" and I don't think that will be much of a contest. I don't know what can be observed by the games ahead of UT. I feel confident in saying the UT defense will be much stronger than anything he has seen up to that point. I envision quick passes and screens etc from FL to try and neutralize any pass rush.

I think the real contest comes down to UT rushing vs Florida defense and what improvements are made in passing game. Croom at TE this year may be a big advantage for us. We can put 2 wide receiver and 2 te on the field in running position taking the defense out of nickel and split out if need be to 4 wide with that set. Will be an interesting chess match.

Agree with you 100% on Del Rio.

I don't fear UT's passing game at all, because your WR coach isn't very good, and Dobbs isn't the most accurate passer to begin with.

I do fear UT may not have to pass all that much to win.

Reactions: 1 person
Agree with you 100% on Del Rio.

I don't fear UT's passing game at all, because your WR coach isn't very good, and Dobbs isn't the most accurate passer to begin with.

I do fear UT may not have to pass all that much to win.

Didn't Azzani coach at Fl? What were the thoughts on him while there?

VN Store

Back