'19 FL QB Brian Maurer (Tennessee signee)

That is the response of someone with no argument.

54% and 51% passers. JG was more accurate than both in camp. Pruitt even said Shrout has a problem with accuracy but has a big arm. So . . . . . . . .
That’s going to come down to whether it’s a mechanics issue or something deeper. If the former then a few coaching corrections could work wonders.

You sure have an axe to grind with a freshman QB that hasn't even taken one in-game snap. Definitely a worthy pursuit.
His usual song and dance. It’s all about the camps and “experts”. Aaron Rodgers never starts at Cal if K-Town has a vote. 3 star Johnny Manziel never gets a practice rep on a roster where 5 star Jamiell Showers resides. Mitch Mustain...

Maurer is the future Peyton Manning 2.0 and probably president of the USA after that. Then, first man on the moon...without a space suit.

I bet he throws JG into the end zone holding a football for the win in 2020 against Alabama. Who will be playing both Tua and Tualia together in tandem at QB. They just pitch it back and forth until somebody is open. We still win cuz Bill Norton flips to UT and plays the whole DL while we drop everyone else into protection every play, finished with 8 sacks.

Maurer is the future Peyton Manning 2.0 and probably president of the USA after that. Then, first man on the moon...without a space suit.

I bet he throws JG into the end zone holding a football for the win in 2020 against Alabama. Who will be playing both Tua and Tualia together in tandem at QB. They just pitch it back and forth until somebody is open. We still win cuz Bill Norton flips to UT and plays the whole DL while we drop everyone else into protection every play, finished with 8 sacks.

lol

That’s going to come down to whether it’s a mechanics issue or something deeper. If the former then a few coaching corrections could work wonders.
Saying I think another qb we recruited is better isn't axe grinding.

Butchie it's not just camps but performance in games also.

Saying I think another qb we recruited is better isn't axe grinding.

Butchie it's not just camps but performance in games also.
So you need to compare their first seasons...since Shrout only had one. I’ll let the relative talent, competition slide since that would be a load for your rigid noggin.

Maurer in 16...56% passer, 1609 yards, 12 td’s 10 interceptions. He got a little better last year (go figure!) and is having an impressive THIRD season. Imagine if a K-town had told him he’s only as good as that first season? I imagine he would have told that K-town to GFY and worked hard to show the hack how little he knew about REAL football...what’s your opinion?

Last edited:
Reactions: SugarCC and AaronUT
Do you think it’s Pruitt or Helton who likes to target these 3* gun slingers (Shrout and Maurer)

Question for those who have seen scouting reports on Maurer...is there a knock on his arm strength? Just wondering if that’s the reason he’s a 3*. He certainly has put up numbers. But Justin Worley did too. Then when he got to Knoxville, we saw why he was a 3*...he had a below average arm.

Question for those who have seen scouting reports on Maurer...is there a knock on his arm strength? Just wondering if that’s the reason he’s a 3*. He certainly has put up numbers. But Justin Worley did too. Then when he got to Knoxville, we saw why he was a 3*...he had a below average arm.
Outperformed most of the other QB’s in arm strength competition at the Opening in Frisco.

Who knows? JG was a 4 or 5 star wasn't he? Up to this point , he has proved to be no better than Worley.

Outperformed most of the other QB’s in arm strength competition at the Opening in Frisco.
Good to know. Thanks.

From the film I’ve seen of him in high school and The Opening, it looks to me like he throws with lots of zip. Just wondering if services are evaluating him differently in order to explain the 3* rating.

ESPN has him as a 4*, so maybe Rivals and 247 will eventually bump him too, given the numbers he’s putting up.

Good to know. Thanks.

From the film I’ve seen of him in high school and The Opening, it looks to me like he throws with lots of zip. Just wondering if services are evaluating him differently in order to explain the 3* rating.

ESPN has him as a 4*, so maybe Rivals and 247 will eventually bump him too, given the numbers he’s putting up.
It's probably more of the recruiting services like other QBs more than him.

It's probably more of the recruiting services like other QBs more than him.
This has been a breakout season...stats wise for him. It’s why I don’t underestimate the potential of Shrout. Two seasons is an awfully small litmus test...much less one.

1540477943762.gif

So you need to compare their first seasons...since Shrout only had one. I’ll let the relative talent, competition slide since that would be a load for your rigid noggin.

Maurer in 16...56% passer, 1609 yards, 12 td’s 10 interceptions. He got a little better last year (go figure!) and is having an impressive THIRD season. Imagine if a K-town had told him he’s only as good as that first season? I imagine he would have told that K-town to GFY and worked hard to show the hack how little he knew about REAL football...what’s your opinion?
The Sr season is the relevant comparison for evaluating what's they would do as a college freshman. There is a huge difference between a SR on the way to college or a hs freshman or sophomore.

The Sr season is the relevant comparison for evaluating what's they would do as a college freshman. There is a huge difference between a SR on the way to college or a hs freshman or sophomore.
First season as a full time starter is the better basis for comparison...especially when there’s only one season for Shrout. You don’t account for growth as a QB, which is surprising as a JG fan. Is JG his freshman year or has he gotten better?

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Hosting West Port on Friday night at Ned Love Field, the Tigers didn’t exactly contain record-breaking quarterback Brian Maurer, but more than traded blows and pulled away with a 65-41 victory. A game featuring a bevy of passing attempts and penalties lasted over three hours, and saw a combined 736 yards and nine touchdowns through the air. That the Tennessee-bound Maurer put up big numbers was no surprise. He completed 41 of 72 passes for 431 yards and threw for six touchdowns, though he was also picked off three times.
Dunnellon wins shootout vs West Port

Final senior-year passing stats: 282-439 (64.2%) for 3,517 yards and 34 TDs with 12 INTs. In West Port's last 4 games, Maurer threw for 1,639 yards & 17 TDs.

VN Store

Back