First Team Offense and Defense announced for O&W Game

True. Although once upon a time we were all thrilled that one of the very best D Coordinators in the country, Bob Shoop, was running our defense.

I’m cautiously optimistic about our defense with Pruitt and company, but I won’t be all in until they show me I should be all in. Kind of a fool me once, fool me twice scenario.

I don't think Shoop is the reason our defense has been terrible. If he's u successful at his next stop then maybe.

They will change personnel to do the things you are trying to describe.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. Didn't mean to say they won't change out personnel to fit the situation. Only meant that they have some hybrids in place (like Phillips) who can cover multiple roles giving the coaches the OPTION to change formations without changing personnel.

Mainly to catch offenses off guard, probably.

Carvin with the ones.....i really want to be impressed with that. and that has nothing to do with him, personally.

Shamburger in the Star spot, should be good......

This shows you how far we have fallen, not one of them would start at bama or the Dawgs, the defence is a little better but not much going to be a long 3 years on the hill.:thud:

Reactions: 1 person
This shows you how far we have fallen, not one of them would start at bama or the Dawgs, the defence is a little better but not much going to be a long 3 years on the hill.:thud:

Terry, I know you're pretty Eeyore on our Vols these days, but why do you say that about Shamburger? What makes you think he wouldn't start at Bama or UGa?

I mean, consider this one little highlight from his freshman (freshman!) season:
  • Led the Vols with 12 tackles, including a sack, at No. 1 Alabama in his first career start (cornerback)
If he can play that well against Bama's offense, you don't think perhaps he could play on Bama's defense?

Reactions: 3 people
we are going with a Dooley styled offense and defense. 13 guys on D, 12 on O, that should maybe let us be competitive.

This? this is it? where you been the last 10 years? you got a lot of catching up to do.

Tennessee Vols football unveils rosters for Orange & White Game

Here's how it breaks down with the scholarship players and most notable walk-ons grouped by their positions (not necessarily in any particular order) and injured players included on both rosters noted in italics:

FIRST-TEAM OFFENSE

QB: Jarrett Guarantano

RB: Ty Chandler, Tim Jordan

WR: Marquez Callaway, Josh Palmer, Jauan Jennings,

TE: Eli Wolf, Austin Pope, Jacob Warren.

LT: Drew Richmond.

LG: Riley Locklear.

C: Ryan Johnson.

RG: Jerome Carvin, Trey Smith.

RT: Marcus Tatum, Chance Hall.

K: Brent Cimaglia.

FIRST-TEAM DEFENSE

DL: Jonathan Kongbo, Shy Tuttle, Kyle Phillips.

OLB: Darrell Taylor, Deandre Johnson.

ILB: Quart'e Sapp, Will Ignont, Darrin Kirkland Jr., Daniel Bituli.

CB: Baylen Buchanan, Shawn Shamburger (nickel), Marquill Osborne, Terrell Bailey.

S: Nigel Warrior, Micah Abernathy, Todd Kelly Jr.

P: Paxton Brooks.

SECOND-TEAM OFFENSE

QB: Will McBride.

RB: Trey Coleman, Princeton Fant.

WR: Jordan Murphy, Latrell Williams, Tyler Byrd, Jacquez Jones.

TE: LaTrell Bumphus, James Brown, Jay Blakely.

LT: Nathan Niehaus.

LG: K'Rojhn Calbert, Eric Crosby, Devante Brooks.

C: Brian Garvey.

RG: Ollie Lane.

RT: Greg Emerson, Joe Keeler.

K: Laszlo Toser.

SECOND-TEAM DEFENSE

DL: Matthew Butler, Alexis Johnson, Kivon Bennett, Paul Bain.

OLB: Jordan Allen, Austin Smith, Ryan Thaxton.

ILB: Dillon Bates, Shanon Reid, Solon Page III.

CB: Maleik Gray, Alontae Taylor, Carlin Fils-aime, D.J. Henderson.

S: Cheyenne Labruzza, Theo Jackson, MaLeik Gatewood, Sam Harvin.

P: Joe Doyle.

Edited to add the italics back for injured players. I guess they're listed on there but probably won't play. I believe Brandon Johnson is supposed to be listed with the 1's.

I think Shoop's problem wasn't with the players, his problem was with the champion of "Champions of Life" - Butch Jones. My guess is simply that Jones wanted to control everything to include defense, hence not allowing Shoop to run his unit his way.

Just my thoughts.

Fully agree. More than one person who follows/covers the program has said that Jones’ micromanaging was Shoop’s issue and why he failed so spectacularly here despite an outstanding track record coming in.

Gotta say though, as much belief as I have in a proven commodity like Pruitt who’s been wildly successful wherever he’s been, I still need to see Tennessee’s defense actually manifest itself on field as infinitely improved before I fully buy in. BVS just too strong at the moment.

Fully agree. More than one person who follows/covers the program has said that Jones’ micromanaging was Shoop’s issue and why he failed so spectacularly here despite an outstanding track record coming in.

Gotta say though, as much belief as I have in a proven commodity like Pruitt who’s been wildly successful wherever he’s been, I still need to see Tennessee’s defense actually manifest itself on field as infinitely improved before I fully buy in. BVS just too strong at the moment.

we start getting the same level of talent he's had to work with, i'd imagine that'd go a long way to doing just that.

even still, he made fairly drastic improvdments on defenses at GA and FSU in his first year there, and how bad we've been the last couple of years....mediocre would be a big improvement, especially in run D.

yeah, he gets game ready, along with Smith....then it's just "please, please stay healthy".

If they get healthy and we don't have the injury issues of the last couple years that ol doesn't look too bad. Just no depth. But the starters have potential to be good.

What is everybody's take on Byrd? Everyone was clamoring for him to be on Defense and firing shots a Butch (well-deserved, I might add). Apparently, Pruitt didn't like him on D either.

Puzzling.

Our offense is straight garbage.. come to UT ans start.. no all- SEC players at skilled positions. Our TE’s with Wolf ans Pope strikes zero fear in The D

Several key players missing from the O&W game. Not just Jennings, but DKJr, TKJr, etc. All recovering from injuries or off-season surgery. And apparently (according to CJP comments), all pretty close to being back to playing form. Just not quite in time for the starting slots this Saturday. Maybe we'll see some of them on field as the game plays out.

TK jr is an average player at best

Forgot Wolf was still on the roster. for some reason thought be might have graduated or gone to draft. He could be a big part of offense this year with a QB that will likely need to get the ball out quickly

Unfortunately, we have yet to see this QB get the ball out quickly. He will, however, have all summer to work on that. Let’s hope he improves.

Our offense is straight garbage.. come to UT ans start.. no all- SEC players at skilled positions. Our TE’s with Wolf ans Pope strikes zero fear in The D

Eli Wolf has an opportunity to do something his older brother would or could not do at UT and that is actually block somebody. If Eli just gets in front of a defender and ties them up for 3 seconds or longer it will be better than his brother who took out a red cape, waved defenders on to our backfield, exclaiming, "OLE!"

That defensive personnel is interesting.

That's more of a 3-3-5 than 3-4 or 4-2

VN Store

Back