First Team Offense and Defense announced for O&W Game

I see. But then, they should be listing Phillips as a DE in that case, right?

That makes a lot of sense. So under that scheme, the Jack would always be on the same side as Phillips, while Kongbo would be on the opposite end of the line, always on the outside?

So the DT for Phillips is really shorthand for DT/DE? Like Jack is shorthand for OLB/DE or Star is short for OLB/slot coverage DB?

edit: thinking about it a minute longer, this all just seems to be nomenclature for a defense created (and manned) to shift easily between a 3-4-4, a 4-3-4, and a 3-3-5 nickel, without having to change out personnel on the field. Right?

eh, i didn't even pay attention to the position name...just thinking who's outside and who's inside....and usually it's a particular body type that will dictate which is which.

That makes a lot of sense. So under that scheme, the Jack would always be on the same side as Phillips, while Kongbo would be on the opposite end of the line, always on the outside?

So the DT for Phillips is really shorthand for DT/DE? Like Jack is shorthand for OLB/DE or Star is short for OLB/slot coverage DB?

edit: thinking about it a minute longer, this all just seems to be nomenclature for a defense created (and manned) to shift easily between a 3-4-4, a 4-3-4, and a 3-3-5 nickel (or even a 4-2-5), without having to change out personnel on the field. Right?

yep, pretty much.

Still in highschool. Won’t be here until Summer.

My mistake. I am hyped to see this kid play. Big style back that take the hit. Ty Chandler is a play maker but does he have the SEC RB build? I think we will use all the RBs in different ways.

Reactions: 2 people
Ty Chandler not only is the #1 RB on the team, probably our best playmaker on the whole roster this season.

Dumb question from me though - where's Jennings? Not practicing in Spring? Have to earn his way back to the top of the chart? Just got beat out? Anyone? Thanks!

NOC -- Not On Campus

Not a bunch of Rudies. Respectable talents, if they can smarten up and toughen up, in time for 2018 season.

Several key players missing from the O&W game. Not just Jennings, but DKJr, TKJr, etc. All recovering from injuries or off-season surgery. And apparently (according to CJP comments), all pretty close to being back to playing form. Just not quite in time for the starting slots this Saturday. Maybe we'll see some of them on field as the game plays out.

Look, he didn't know either.

Edit: quoted the wrong post. :crazy:

Last edited:
So Shamburger is playing the Fitzpatrick role when he played at Alabama?

Minkah played the Star when in nickel but also played the Money when in Dime. He could play everywhere. Shamburger will not do all that. Minkah was like another coach from the people that I have spoken with.

Reactions: 1 person
My mistake. I am hyped to see this kid play. Big style back that take the hit. Ty Chandler is a play maker but does he have the SEC RB build? I think we will use all the RBs in different ways.

No worries, ready to see Banks too.

Minkah played the Star when in nickel but also played the Money when in Dime. He could play everywhere. Shamburger will not do all that. Minkah was like another coach from the people that I have spoken with.

I wouldn't be so quick to say young Shamburger can't do something.

The young man proved last fall that he is amazingly talented. I don't think we've seen anything close to his top end yet.

Reactions: 1 person
But at least in 2018 our coaching staff looks good on paper too.

True. Although once upon a time we were all thrilled that one of the very best D Coordinators in the country, Bob Shoop, was running our defense.

I’m cautiously optimistic about our defense with Pruitt and company, but I won’t be all in until they show me I should be all in. Kind of a fool me once, fool me twice scenario.

True. Although once upon a time we were all thrilled that one of the very best D Coordinators in the country, Bob Shoop, was running our defense.

I’m cautiously optimistic about our defense with Pruitt and company, but I won’t be all in until they show me I should be all in. Kind of a fool me once, fool me twice scenario.

I think Shoop's problem wasn't with the players, his problem was with the champion of "Champions of Life" - Butch Jones. My guess is simply that Jones wanted to control everything to include defense, hence not allowing Shoop to run his unit his way.

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 4 people
I wouldn't be so quick to say young Shamburger can't do something.

The young man proved last fall that he is amazingly talented. I don't think we've seen anything close to his top end yet.

Fair. The practice I was at he only played Star. Never once played Money.

Per Jesse Simonton...

Tennessee’s Team White (1s defense)
DE: Kongbo
NT: Tuttle
DT: Phillips
JACK: Taylor, D. Johnson
ILB: Sapp
ILB: Ignont, Bituli
STAR: Shamburger
CB: Osborne
CB: Buchanan
S: Warrior, Abernathy

Tennessee’s Team Orange (1s offense)
QB: Guarantano
RB: Chandler,
TE: Wolf, Pope
WR: Callaway, Palmer, Johnson
LT: Richmond
LG: Locklear
C: Johnson
RG: Carvin
RT: Tatum

As I get 2nd teams I’ll post.....or, if anyone sees elsewhere, please add them here.

Thanks KB!

edit: thinking about it a minute longer, this all just seems to be nomenclature for a defense created (and manned) to shift easily between a 3-4-4, a 4-3-4, and a 3-3-5 nickel (or even a 4-2-5), without having to change out personnel on the field. Right?

They will change personnel to do the things you are trying to describe.

Ditto in 2017.....on paper

This Defense going to be good under pruitt. He cleaned up FSU defense and brought it where it needed to be. People forget he was a D cordinator on that 2013 FSU team. That team was stacked. I dont have any doubts in Pruitt

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back