Finebaum: Shoop needs to go

Did he have a "stacked deck" at Vandy? How is it possible for a coach to get this bad with better players and resources than he had before. I kinda gave him a pass last season especially after the comeback wins versus Va Tech and Florida and chalked the huge drop off to injuries since things got worse towards the end of the season. However, I am losing patience this year. I hope things turn around soon.

Finebaum says that Adams is saying if Tn loses to Fla, that Shoop needs to go. Is firing coordinators the new thing in cfb? Two got fired last week. If Tn loses Saturday, no reason to let Shoop go, he has to have time to play his defense with a stacked deck, he hasn't had that yet.

Fla should not get 300 yards Saturday, if they do, it's a miracle. Their offense is even worse than in the past. Ive never seen them this bad.

Hypothetical, if Fla gets 400 or heaven forbid 500 yards Saturday, do you make the move?

I think it's all for naught.
TN 31 FL 10 (they have a pick 6)

Newsflash: on fabricated drama like this, both Adams and Finebaum are so much more irrelevant than they would like to believe. They don't even get a vote. Waaah-waaaaaaah. :p

Reactions: 1 person
Not for Florida, but if we lose to Vandy again then I'm all for it if the D is still shoddy.

Shoop needs better players. My question at this point would be how much Jones is influencing personnel and playing time decisions. Surely a guy who has coached up his best athletes at Vandy and PSU to make good D's wouldn't make some of the player decisions he's made so far on his own, would he?

Better players? Isnt our defense pretty much full of fairly high rated 4* guys??

Did he have a "stacked deck" at Vandy? How is it possible for a coach to get this bad with better players and resources than he had before. I kinda gave him a pass last season especially after the comeback wins versus Va Tech and Florida and chalked the huge drop off to injuries since things got worse towards the end of the season. However, I am losing patience this year. I hope things turn around soon.

Its called James Franklin.

Finebaum says that Adams is saying if Tn loses to Fla, that Shoop needs to go. Is firing coordinators the new thing in cfb? Two got fired last week. If Tn loses Saturday, no reason to let Shoop go, he has to have time to play his defense with a stacked deck, he hasn't had that yet.

Fla should not get 300 yards Saturday, if they do, it's a miracle. Their offense is even worse than in the past. Ive never seen them this bad.

Hypothetical, if Fla gets 400 or heaven forbid 500 yards Saturday, do you make the move?

So, when did a man who never played collegiate sports, and relies on less than educated listeners from Alabama become a expert or insider to coaching defenses? Who is the fool, PF or those who take anything he says seriously? PF is an idiot, but because of his following and love for Bama, he gets a job on ESPN........what a joke, he adds no legitimacy to the College Sports, he is no better than a day time talk show host who interviews men and women who have the most embarrassing personal drama for the world to see. If anything, he takes away any creditability to the SEC and Bristol Connecticut is laughing at him behind his back.

UT 31 UF 17

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Get rid of Shoop but keep the guy who selected him? Whatever.

I'm guessing you were just as excited as most of us were when we hired Shoop. I know I was..

Maybe we all got sold a bill of goods. I don't think so but time will tell..

If he could perform at Vandy and Penn State, then he should be able to perform with what he has had here just fine

Ben Fry

Shoop needs better players. My question at this point would be how much Jones is influencing personnel and playing time decisions. Surely a guy who has coached up his best athletes at Vandy and PSU to make good D's wouldn't make some of the player decisions he's made so far on his own, would he?

You may have hit the nail on the head, Shoop needs better players, UT is unable to contain the edge and the LB's are weak and slow, the DB's are scarcely much better
How many yds they give up at Florida is anyone's guess, no?

I tend to look at how the previous school performs after the coach leaves. PSU has got a LOT better since Shoop. It's the reason they should've made the CFP over OSU last year.

PSU's defense was ranked #2 in the nation in 2014 and #14 in 2015. They had a W-L record of 7-6 in both those years. Evidently there wasn't anything wrong with Shoop's defense in those two years, which are the only years he coached at PSU. Like so many posters on VN just type whatever you like without checking the facts. These same fans ran off the best coach they ever had in the past 50 years along with a top DC who were both alumini. UT isn't gonna get more motivated coaches than they have right now IMO. It's best to let this season play out 1st and give the team time to become a unit. They are just feeling each other out right now.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm a believer in not firing anyone during the season. If you start a season you should be allowed to finish it and at least be given the opportunity to correct the issues. If by seasons end nothing has changed then a decision can be made. Doesn't make much sense to fire someone 3 games into a season anyways.

Reactions: 1 person
Does Shoop even recruit ? He knows the defense he wants. Thig is a good recruiter and Hoke is supposed to be I heard. The reason I'm saying that is because I only see one LB committed so far. I think we need one or two more in this class.

VN Store

Back