Finebaum leaving espn?

The NFL game with no announcers 30-some (40?) years ago was the right idea. Now is the right time. Sorry blind folks, find a radio broadcast or Internet audio stream.

I would love it if they just had cameras and the audio was the in-stadium PA announcer.

Reactions: 3 people
Not sure thread worthy but am hearing reports that pawl may be disgruntled with espn. While not a big fan of him personally he often has some insightful guests on his show and the loss of his show would leave a gap. Mod move if you think appropriate

Pawl:eek:lol:

Not sure thread worthy but am hearing reports that pawl may be disgruntled with espn. While not a big fan of him personally he often has some insightful guests on his show and the loss of his show would leave a gap. Mod move if you think appropriate

One peckerhead looking for a job:popcorn:

Putting Pwal on for 4 hrs was stupid to begin with. It's like watching mushrooms grow.

I did watch alittle of his show when Laura was there for the eye candy.

you realize his show is doing better than 75 % of the content on all of the ESPN channels in ratings dont you ?

Hence why the SEC has a problem with ESPN. This is more than a Finebaum vs ESPN. Its the SEC Network vs ESPN. SEC is in Paul's corner here.

Reactions: 6 people
I'm surprised he's been on the air this long. When SECN started I just figured they needed to fill some airtime and would get rid of him when they had some better programming to fill-up their schedule.

I won't miss him, but I wouldn't mind a similar live daily show to replace it -- just without all the stereotype-reinforcing characters and redneck soap opera crap. And most importantly, without Paul's smirking face and arrogant personality.

Reactions: 8 people
I don't know of any serious college football fan that watches his show for anything more than comedy. He occasionally does have a guest that will do some serious analysis, but I don't hear anybody say "Man, I wonder what Paul Finebaum thinks about XYZ."

Give the guy credit - he turned a regional, 365-days-a-year Alabama/Auburn smack talk radio show into a national TV show, and is one of the most recognizable media figures in college football. Also interesting that he's a Tennessee native a UT alum, although you'd never know it from watching his show. He was basically an outsider coming into that Birmingham market.

I watch it when I'm having trouble falling asleep.

His show is awful and I cant even stomach 10 minutes of the idiots that call in there to talk about nothing! I really could care less if he ever does another broadcast either from his radio show or SEC Nation.

Reactions: 5 people
That's probably more of a statement about ESPN than it is about Paul.

Yep. ESPN has been in decline for years because it is irrelevant to air what used to be their bread and butter, highlights, on TV.

However, Paul's show represents what ESPN used to be before they went political, social media hyper-aware, and generally trying to look cool to a millennial crowd. It's still a pretty stupid show, but at least they do actually talk about teams and games.

And honestly, I think most people watching his show fall into more of the 35-54 demographic than the 18-34 demographic, which could explain the better ratings too. 18-34 year olds don't watch a lot of cable TV.

Reactions: 1 person
His show is really hard to listen to.
When he has a guest on like a coach or someone else in the media I actually enjoy it. When the bama fans get on there and they start screaming at each other like a bunch of drunk rednecks at a trailer park BBQ is when I cut it off. I will literally roll my window and listen to the wind blow.
For some reason a lot of people think drunk rednecks having a screaming match is entertainment.....

Paul is bright - has a good memory and can recall past games. Problem with his show is that he honed his skills in the Birmingham market, and can't shake (nor doesn't seem to want to) that group of callers. He's put them on a broader program than just the Bammer market, and until he can get trailer park boys from every SEC school, the program just doesn't scale up to total SEC or nationally. I can't stand watching it.

Caveat: It's a great show to watch when Bama hits the skids. I lived through the radio version in the Dubose, Price, Shula and Francione era.

Paul is bright - has a good memory and can recall past games. Problem with his show is that he honed his skills in the Birmingham market, and can't shake (nor doesn't seem to want to) that group of callers. He's put them on a broader program than just the Bammer market, and until he can get trailer park boys from every SEC school, the program just doesn't scale up to total SEC or nationally. I can't stand watching it.

Caveat: It's a great show to watch when Bama hits the skids. I lived through the radio version in the Dubose, Price, Shula and Francione era.

No truer words have ever been spoken. Any sports talk radio show about college football in the South is better when Bama is on the skids. They don't even have to be bad; they just have to be slightly worse than whatever the expectation is.

If you're in Chattanooga and listen(ed) to SportTalk you probably remember a lady named Bama Jean who called in. She had called in for years and years, and before Saban arrived her shtick was that Bama was right on the verge of becoming some great team, or was a great team, and the excuses for losses and poor play were incredible. So entertaining.

Once Saban showed up, she continued to call in with the same shtick, and while she was still funny all that could be said in response was "Yeah Bama Jean, you are really good...there's no point in arguing it anymore." :)

Iv'e been thinking it for some time now but remained quiet because I simply don't care, but I will make a couple of observations in regard to the SEC and the Paul Finebaum show.

When Finebaum was mostly serving a local Alabama market, he needed these characters he now regularly uses on air because they used to fit right in.

But when he became established as a national presence covering the world and representing the SEC, then I think most of those characters did not add anything to his show. I personally thought what hell is going on when he allowed "Tammy" to go on her ignorant and uninformed rants. I didn't and still don't think there is a place on any reputable media for the likes of Tammy. (I use her name because it is recognizable and by far the most offensive) But the others are similar and almost as bad. Ed from Conn. is another example. What the hell does that old sleepy sounding fart have to add? NOTHING--and he used to be on every day!

There have been good days. When he has Marcus Spears and Booger they add a lot to the show because they are knowledgeable and tell it like it is. Laura Rutledge also is a great addition although her recent absence might foretell a bit about Finebaums's future. Like maybe ESPN wants her off that sinking ship.

If Finebaum fails, it will be because he won't listen and wants to use the same format that was successful in the rural south when he in fact should be looking at what a national audience wants to hear.

Finebaum has a scripted cast of idiots and that format will doom him. I think this is the sticking point between the ESPN brass and Finebaum. The SEC surely would like to maintain that four hour daily show alive both on tv and radio, but at what cost.

I personally used to turn it on most every afternoon, but lately, its just not worth while. And it seems to me that it gets worse every day.

I think Finebaum is way overrated and could be replaced very easily. For example, Laura Rutledge could replace him and never miss a beat. And there are a lot of others who could do a better job as well.

If FOX picks him up--good! I won't follow him no matter where he goes!

I have a friend who formerly worked for ESPN. He had a very promising career ahead of him on the production side of the camera; he high-tailed it out of there almost two years ago. He saw the writing on the wall and is now doing the same job for the Golf Channel.

We may kvetch on here that the channel was becoming SJW Central with all their discussions of the phenomenology surrounding sports, but the channel was feeling the heat suffering under the weight of its own hubris. It felt too self important and tried to steer the conversation too far towards certain teams and markets. Disney money just managed to hide the issue for a while.

I'm sorry ESPN, but if I'm watching Tennessee vs Georgia, shut the hell up about Alabama vs the Mississippi School for Blind Girl Scouts coming up next week. You'll keep more viewers and enjoy higher ad revenue when you realise people care about the game they're watching more than they care about the game they're not watching.

Reactions: 2 people
We may kvetch on here that the channel was becoming SJW Central with all their discussions of the phenomenology surrounding sports, but the channel was feeling the heat suffering under the weight of its own hubris. It felt too self important and tried to steer the conversation too far towards certain teams and markets. Disney money just managed to hide the issue for a while.

ESPN is struggling because what used to be their bread and butter, highlights (specifically SportsCenter), are irrelevant in an era of the internet, smartphones, and social media. There is no need to watch the 11 PM or 7 AM SportsCenter to see what happened in sports during the day. There is also cord cutting.

I find their obvious political posturing irritating like most here, but they aren't losing many viewers because of the politics. They are losing viewers because an increasing amount of their non-live sports programming is irrelevant. Now that they are losing viewers, they are in a particularly vulnerable position because they've overpaid for broadcast rights for various things, pay some on-camera people way too much money, and were late to the party on creating a streaming service for their content.

Their move to go political (among other things) is because of the irrelevancy of their shows and cord cutting, not the other way around. Left-wing politics, integration of conversation about celebrities, non-sports pop culture, the stupid "debate" shows, and non-stop discussion about what some athlete said on social media are a desperate attempt to make their network relevant again.

Reactions: 5 people
ESPN is struggling because what used to be their bread and butter, highlights (specifically SportsCenter), are irrelevant in an era of the internet, smartphones, and social media. There is no need to watch the 11 PM or 7 AM SportsCenter to see what happened in sports during the day. There is also cord cutting.

I find their obvious political posturing irritating like most here, but they aren't losing many viewers because of the politics. They are losing viewers because an increasing amount of their non-live sports programming is irrelevant. Now that they are losing viewers, they are in a particularly vulnerable position because they've overpaid for broadcast rights for various things, pay some on-camera people way too much money, and were late to the party on creating a streaming service for their content.

Their move to go political (among other things) is because of the irrelevancy of their shows and cord cutting, not the other way around. Left-wing politics, integration of conversation about celebrities, non-sports pop culture, the stupid "debate" shows, and non-stop discussion about what some athlete said on social media are a desperate attempt to make their network relevant again.

Hopefully nobody there will read this because it makes so much sense it could actually help them.

There is only one way to watch Finebaum. I dvr it and fast forward the whole show , stopping only for guests I want to hear, and Laura ( for obvious reasons ).

VN Store

Back