Faster Offenses Lead To Weaker Defenses In The SEC

Most of these teams had horrible defenses before they became no huddle teams. The only difference now is that they have a great offense to go along with their horrible defense.

And what numbers do you have to prove that no huddle teams have inferior defenses? Also, inferior to who? Alabama and LSU? Is it in anyway fair to compare anyone's defense to Alabama and LSU?

Are you comparing Tennessee's program to the Baylor, Clemson and Texas Techs of the world?

You google much?

Hurry up teams national rankings:

Texas Texas 1st (plays per game) 114th (defense yards per game) 117th (scoring defense)

Baylor 4th ppg 116th dypg 113th sd
Clemson 10th ppg 71st dypg 81st sd
Arizona 8th ppg 110th dypg 107th sd
Okie St 11th ppg 107th dypg 61st sd
TAMU 5th ppg 59th dypg 70th sd

i just read this on Mr SEC,i thought it was an interesting read,showing the differences,between up tempo teams and the slower snap times

"To see exactly what impact those up-tempo offenses have had on their defensive counterparts, we’ve pored over a number of SEC statistics from 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. We wanted to see if going all no-huddle and lickety-split on offense took a toll on a team’s defensive performance. Many have made that case in recent years, including those of us here at MrSEC.com."

Sure You Wanna Speed It Up? Faster Offenses Lead To Weaker Defenses In The SEC

other than the Cam Newton team,the slower snapped time teams did better

i wonder how much up tempo coach Jones teams will be ?will it be a hurry up and get to line and make adjustments from the formation or a hurry up and get the ball snapped type?

When Nick Saben complains about a fast paced offense, that means it gives defenses trouble! Nothing worse than sucking wind for Corner,s and safeties, covering on every play.... Trust me I know. Would hate in college to play a fast paced team but then again, the no huddle wasn't even thought of.

If Nick says it drains a D, as much as I hate him, I'll agree 100%. Been there, have that T-shirt!

I know. But between the two thread on this, the hypothesis is that there is a "spread/hurry-up" defense. It is the hypothesis that going spread/hurry-up inherently effects the defense's fundamental soundness.

There is also the fear that it will gas our own defense.

I know. It was a joke. I was wondering how you can run hurry-up on defense.

Nobody played along. This is a super srs conversation.

Reactions: 1 person
When Nick Saben complains about a fast paced offense, that means it gives defenses trouble! Nothing worse than sucking wind for Corner,s and safeties, covering on every play.... Trust me I know. Would hate in college to play a fast paced team but then again, the no huddle wasn't even thought of.

If Nick says it drains a D, as much as I hate him, I'll agree 100%. Been there, have that T-shirt!

The question for the immediate future is who will scheme the hurry up defense, best? Getting plays to the defense faster is a must. Putting players into position, with pressure, that can handle the pace for the entire drive is a must. Good defenses make adjustments to the speed of the game and things usually slow down considerably after the first quarter.

Great offenses are nice when they are clicking. Match ups are a big deal for the giddy up, turbo drive, smaller, more finesse, hurry up teams. Great defenses show up every Saturday. In a long season and those Saturdays the opposition has your number, great defenses will more often than not figure out how to get it done.

The question for the immediate future is who will scheme the hurry up defense, best? Getting plays to the defense faster is a must. Putting players into position, with pressure, that can handle the pace for the entire drive is a must. Good defenses make adjustments to the speed of the game and things usually slow down considerably after the first quarter.

Great offenses are nice when they are clicking. Match ups are a big deal for the giddy up, turbo drive, smaller, more finesse, hurry up teams. Great defenses show up every Saturday. In a long season and those Saturdays the opposition has your number, great defenses will more often than not figure out how to get it done.

Yeah, you're right except one thing, Bama doesn't run against one in practice. You have to see it everyday to adapt. And if anyone can Nick can. But as I stated before, being winded in college ball with the standard huddle offense vs the fast paced no-huddle, I do see his point. But then again, bama has the studs to adapt...let's just hope we don't blow chunks covering the same! :)

Are you comparing Tennessee's program to the Baylor, Clemson and Texas Techs of the world?

You google much?

Texas Texas 1st (plays per game) 114th (defense yards per game) 117th (scoring defense)

All the stats you're looking at are irrelevant. Obviously a defense that's on the field more plays gives up more yards. But that's not important to the argument. Because that doesn't make them a terrible defense. What would be important to the argument is the number of yards per play and points per play given up. Given the disperity in plays per game, this is the only fair way to compare the two defenses.

And like I said earlier: Baylor, Texas Tech, Arizona, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M all had crappy defenses before going no huddle. Now the differnce is thu have great offenses to go along with it.

And no I'm not comparing Tennessees defense to those teams, but I don't expect LSU or Alabama level defensive success this year even if we run the wingt.

You google much?

What's your source? Those rankings don't match up with the website I googled. College Football Stats - College FB Team Plays per Game on TeamRankings.com

It is also a conditioning problem. It's harder to condition a defense to play against hurry-up when they aren't practicing against hurry-up.

Great offenses are nice when they are clicking.

Is that supposed to mean something? Are you inferring, "but they don't, so why bother?"

Match ups are a big deal for the giddy up, turbo drive, smaller, more finesse, hurry up teams.

So, you equate "hurry-up" to smaller, finesse teams? What will happen to your misconception in August when UT comes out with SEC-sized players and punches people in the face at a turbo-pace?

Great defenses show up every Saturday.

They do? Was the 2008 Sugar Bowl against Utah played on a Tuesday?

In a long season and those Saturdays the opposition has your number, great defenses will more often than not figure out how to get it done.

Great coaches will figure out how to get it done. Like Saban, who would rather petition for rules changes that would keep him from having to face it.

Yeah, you're right except one thing, Bama doesn't run against one in practice. You have to see it everyday to adapt. And if anyone can Nick can. But as I stated before, being winded in college ball with the standard huddle offense vs the fast paced no-huddle, I do see his point. But then again, bama has the studs to adapt...let's just hope we don't blow chunks covering the same! :)

If the hurry-up was inherently more dangerous to defenses, it would seem that statistics would bear it out. It would follow that there would be more injuries to the defenses on teams that were practicing/scrimmaging against their offensive hurry-up counterparts. All Saban has to do is present these statistics...

Going fast when you're learning a new offense and have zero experience at QB and WR is a minefield. You usually dont see true hurry up unless you've got a 2-3 year starter at QB. Then there's the well documented problem of hanging the defense out to dry if you can't convert first downs while going fast. Basically you look up and you're Kentucky.

And personally, I've just always been in favor of doing it right vs doing it fast.

I'll agree that "doing it right" is very very important. But your comment about a QB needing to be in the system 2 or 3 years first just doesn't seem correct. Example: Mariota at Oregon will be a sophomore this year. He did a reasonable job at QB for the Ducks last year.

I'll agree that "doing it right" is very very important. But your comment about a QB needing to be in the system 2 or 3 years first just doesn't seem correct. Example: Mariota at Oregon will be a sophomore this year. He did a reasonable job at QB for the Ducks last year.

I think the hurry up is actually easier for a young qb.

1. You limit the size of your play book so you can play faster.
2. The defense has to play more of a base look because they have less time to get signals and personnel in.
3. You eliminate most motions, which leads to less presnap movement by the defense.

That makes a qb's job a whole heck of a lot easier.

Even if they did, it wouldn't be a fair comparision. Like Tusk said, these teams play 5 quarter games. So the only fair comparision would be yards per play and points per play.

Yea, I know. It's just that this guy likes to think he knows something about football when all he is, is really a bandwagon fan that lives life vicariously through Alabama football. At least that's my opinion.

VN Store

Back