Faster Offenses Lead To Weaker Defenses In The SEC

I had a whole table of run/pass ratio data but really, what’s the point? They called Bill Walsh pass-happy, in a derogatory way, in the 80s and early 90s. It happened, I’m sorry you don’t believe me. It doesn’t matter what the statistics say, it’s the knock people put on him and the 49ers.

Tempo will dictate lots of things. I’m not sure what’d difficult to understand about that.

I lived through the 80's bud and watched every game I could as a HUGE 49er fan....ANYBODY who ever watched the 49ers under Walsh knew they were a PHYSICAL FB team who could run the ball down your throats when necessary! Yes they threw the ball around, but never more than they ran it.....Their run:pass ratio didn't become pass-heavy until AFTER Walsh left and Siefert took over.

My whole point in this entire discussion is that UP-TEMPO and PHYSICAL FOOTBALL are usually mutually exclusive--and the mere running of an UP-TEMPO offense for the sake of HURRY UP--will not win consistently against the more physical teams! :salute:

GO VOLS!

If tennessee goes uptempo, they will become ole miss, the barn, clemson. Take a good look at their defense and you know what's coming. If your shtick is to have the offense run 100 plays a game, your defense will pay and pay and pay.

Reactions: 1 person
If tennessee goes uptempo, they will become ole miss, the barn, clemson. Take a good look at their defense and you know what's coming. If your shtick is to have the offense run 100 plays a game, your defense will pay and pay and pay.

Auburn won a NC playing like that. I'll take a nc.

And no huddle doesn't destroy a teams defense. Ole Miss had a crappy defense before they ran the no huddle. Louisiana Tech had a crappy defense before they ran the no huddle too.

The difference now is that all those teams can score points.

My whole point in this entire discussion is that UP-TEMPO and PHYSICAL FOOTBALL are usually mutually exclusive--and the mere running of an UP-TEMPO offense for the sake of HURRY UP--will not win consistently against the more physical teams! :salute:

GO VOLS!

1. Jalen Hurd is Jalen Hurd no matter what offense we run, and between him and guys like Orlando Brown, we'll be fine in the run game.

2. Did you ever watch Florida under Urban or West Virginia under Rich Rod? Both were very physical teams.

3. Playing up tempo actually makes your offense more physical because playing defense is more exhausting than playing offense. So you physically and mentally beat down your opponent on every snap. You also prevent them from substituting, meaning you get to physically beat down the same players. If you're a traditional offense, you give the other team time to sub in fresh players.

Reactions: 1 person

Just love 8 track minds.

All the defense has to do is to go three and out. We win by 5The problem last year was not the offense. The defense could not get the offense back on the field unless they gave up points. Third and long killed us last year. I think all of our coaches think we have to have a good defense to win.

I can't think of there names,they were discussing this on ESPN and the one guy said,that if there teams could run a slow paced,smash mouth offense,all the coaches would run it and they said the hurry up,is most often used because the team has to cover up problems

I can't think of there names,they were discussing this on ESPN and the one guy said,that if there teams could run a slow paced,smash mouth offense,all the coaches would run it and they said the hurry up,is most often used because the team has to cover up problems

Teams with less talent are more likely to speed up the game to try and gain an advantage. Teams like Alabama don't new such an advantage.

But any team that uses this offense, regardless of their talent level, gains a big time advantage.

I can't disagree. I keep posting it over and over. No huddle = good. Hurry up = problems.

What are the problems?

Going fast when you're learning a new offense and have zero experience at QB and WR is a minefield. You usually dont see true hurry up unless you've got a 2-3 year starter at QB. Then there's the well documented problem of hanging the defense out to dry if you can't convert first downs while going fast. Basically you look up and you're Kentucky.

And personally, I've just always been in favor of doing it right vs doing it fast.

Going fast when you're learning a new offense and have zero experience at QB and WR is a minefield. You usually dont see true hurry up unless you've got a 2-3 year starter at QB. Then there's the well documented problem of hanging the defense out to dry if you can't convert first downs while going fast.

And personally, I've just always been in favor of doing it right vs doing it fast.

You don't need a 2-3 year starter at qb. This offense will make our qb better, because the defense will be forced to play base looks.

This makes things easier for the wr's too. And any offense that goes 3 and out is hanging their defense out to dry.

Doing it fast also gives us more chances to do it right, and allows for more practice reps as well. It also helps to develop depth because of the frequent substitutions required.

The best answers I've gotten are:

1. Inherently flawed.
  2. Weak.
  3. Pansies.
  4. "The colts didn't go undefeated so up-tempo is garbage."

TIFWIW...

I think this applies to offense. I was more interested in the basic fundamentals of an "up-tempo defense."

Is that where you start playing defense before the opposing offense is able to snap the ball? Sounds promising. I think Dooley employed this during a few pivotal moments the past couple seasons.

Can you describe to me what a typical "up-tempo defense" is?

Forget schematics. You run 80 to 100 plays a game, the intent is but one, get 5 quarters of football into 4. Try to gas the defense to the extent that superior athleticism and coaching matters not.

Alabama had 137 drives this year. 49 drives under 2 minutes and 40 drives over 4 minutes.
Clemson had 181 drives. 104 under 2 minutes and only 18 drives over 4 minutes.

That ranked Clemson 105th in the country (120 teams) in time of possession this year.

While the hurry up teams are trying to physically break down defenses from fatigue and stress and gimmicks, the same is occurring to the hurry up teams defenses.

I think this applies to offense. I was more interested in the basic fundamentals of an "up-tempo defense."

Is that where you start playing defense before the opposing offense is able to snap the ball? Sounds promising. I think Dooley employed this during a few pivotal moments the past couple seasons.

I know. But between the two thread on this, the hypothesis is that there is a "spread/hurry-up" defense. It is the hypothesis that going spread/hurry-up inherently effects the defense's fundamental soundness.

There is also the fear that it will gas our own defense.

Forget schematics. You run 80 to 100 plays a game, the intent is but one, get 5 quarters of football into 4. Try to gas the defense to the extent that superior athleticism and coaching matters not.

Alabama had 137 drives this year. 49 drives under 2 minutes and 40 drives over 4 minutes.

That ranked Clemson 105th in the country (120 teams) in time of possession this year.

While the hurry up teams are trying to physically break down defenses from fatigue and stress and gimmicks, the same is occurring to the hurry up teams defenses.

Most of these teams had horrible defenses before they became no huddle teams. The only difference now is that they have a great offense to go along with their horrible defense.

And what numbers do you have to prove that no huddle teams have inferior defenses? Also, inferior to who? Alabama and LSU? Is it in anyway fair to compare anyone's defense to Alabama and LSU?

Well stated.

Situationally it's a good thing. As a philosophy, not so much.

VN Store

Back