Fair to say Vols on the cusp of either emulating or surpassing Fulmer Cutcliffe Chavis years?

45-5 and two SEC Championships over a 4 year period will be tough to duplicate or beat. And that was during the era of11 regular season games instead of the current 12. But, I do think we're on the cusp of 9-3, 10-2, and 11-1 type seasons. At least we're to the point that nobody on the schedule is a sure loss; we can beat 'em all. And, as we all know, have a bad day and can lose to almost anybody on the schedule from the SEC.

Great point, a lot of people forget we have an extra game now. Winning 10 games was quite a feat back in the day

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
Don't know if we'll ever see a run like that again but with a playoff format you just have to make the tournament and anyone can get hot. So we have a chance to see more titles.

Reactions: TN1111
I don't see matching the 90's run of 10-11 wins/yr but with the playoffs being extended to 12 teams I do believe Hyp can get us in the playoffs on a regular basis. Maybe not every yr but most yrs.

Imagine if Fulmer had the opportunity to coach in a CFP era. I think we would’ve had several more chances to win titles. I honestly we would have more than 1.

I need to see 5-6 seasons of 10+ wins and a few CFP runs before i go annointing anyone as the next greatest/HOF coach.

Reactions: LWSVOL
Imagine if Fulmer had the opportunity to coach in a CFP era. I think we would’ve had several more chances to win titles. I honestly we would have more than 1.

Re:Imagine if Fulmer had the opportunity to coach in a CFP era. I think we would’ve had several more chances to win titles. I honestly we would have more than 1.

I think you meant to say Heupel.....

Reactions: VolDave53

Which Fulmer though? 90’s Fulmer? We might have. 2005-2008 Fulmer? I’m not so sure.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
Where they had a run of ten years give or take averaging 10-11 wins a year? Side note thanks to all of our teachers grade school and college. I know you are either in school today or headed back soon, just a simple shout out thanks.
Let's not crown anyone king just yet

Re:Imagine if Fulmer had the opportunity to coach in a CFP era. I think we would’ve had several more chances to win titles. I honestly we would have more than 1.

I think what I meant was that if there was a CFP in the 90’s we would’ve been in the mix almost every season.

We were 45-5 from 95 to 98 or something like that. Let’s pump the brakes a bit. What Heupel has done thus far has been amazing. He was the perfect guy at the right time. I feel like we need to see how we handle success coming off of an 11 win season and an Orange Bowl win. I think 9 regular season wins is good, 10 is very good, 11 is outstanding. If we only win 8 regular season games that would be disappointing IMO.
I also believe Hype's tenure began with a much steeper climb than Fulmer's. Majors had won the SEC 3 out of 4 years recently if I'm not mistaken before Fulmer came in. The current staff came in after 20 years of being lost in the desert. I am in total agreement the SEC has never been better, the past two years have really been somewhat of a miracle.

I also believe Hype's tenure began with a much steeper climb than Fulmer's. Majors had won the SEC 3 out of 4 years recently if I'm not mistaken before Fulmer came in. The current staff came in after 20 years of being lost in the desert. I am in total agreement the SEC has never been better, the past two years have really been somewhat of a miracle.
No doubt about it. You really can’t even compare the 2 at this point because the situations aren’t comparable in any way shape or form. Seems some people (not meaning you) are using this is an attempt to talk $hit about Fulmer, which is completely asinine considering how long our Championship drought would’ve been without him. Heupel is doing a great job, and I hope that by the time he is done here he’ll have a lot of trophies and a statue.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNbuc2 and GAVol
Obviously the SEC will be tougher but we have a huge break with Vandy as our traditional opponent and not playing Alabama and Georgia every year.

Still a pretty hard row to hoe though.

Where they had a run of ten years give or take averaging 10-11 wins a year? Side note thanks to all of our teachers grade school and college. I know you are either in school today or headed back soon, just a simple shout out thanks.

You're getting ahead of yourself. Heupel has started well but Fulmer won SEC titles and a national championship. So a long way to go.

Some key milestones for comparing Josh Heupel with the four best coaches in Vols history:

To surpass John Barnhill, the Vols' 4th best coach: win an SEC championship. Barnhill has an incredible win percentage, even better than the General (32-5-2 over four seasons, .846 win rate), but he never won a title.

To surpass Johnny Majors, our 3rd-best coach (some folks flip Majors and Barnhill): win a national championship. Johnny did win one national crown, but that was for Pitt. So it doesn't count as a Volunteers accomplishment. Josh leapfrogs Johnny if he does that, particularly since Johnny's win rate (.645) wasn't nearly as good as the other top coaches.

To overtake Philip Fulmer, our 2nd-best coach: win two national titles, or one national title with three+ SEC crowns. It will help a lot if Josh's win rate is .750 or better, since Fulmer's was a very respectable .745.

To catch The General: this is a tall order. Recency bias will make Josh the most beloved well before he actually out-performs Neyland, but objectively speaking it would take 4+ national titles, 8+ conference crowns, and a win rate well north of .800 (Neyland went .829).

That's when we'll know.

Go Vols!

It baffles me how everyone seems to try to negate what our HOF coach did for us! He had us at the top with a 152-52 record while in the SEC and we fired him!

With all the highly educated people in charge of the university, I just can’t fathom why they didn’t give him a sabbatical!
Thanks Phil.

Reactions: Orange_Crush

I don't see us beating Nebraska in 95' or 97' or Florida in 96' in the CFP. Hell, the only one we didn't play and lose to was 1995 Nebraska and that's the greatest college football team of my lifetime. The way they demolished Florida in the Fiesta Bowl, I'm glad that wasn't us. I think 98' is the only one we get even if there was a CFP then.

Reactions: Vol_guy

13 years, 1989-2001 (128 wins 29 losses and 3 ties.

fans that lived during that time never felt the appreciation of what was happening in those 13 seasons. A record like that is rare and living through it is unbelievable in hindsight.

If you ever start to experience that or believe it is happening, stop and marvel at what is being accomplished. If it does happen again, it most likely will be some future generation that witnesses it. Not anyone currently being a fan.

Which means someone needs to pass this post down to heirs. LOL

I believe we are approaching a window where we are capable of winning a NC, possibly as soon as this season. Bama and UGA both breaking in new QBs. How long that window stays open is up in the air. Could be 2 seasons or we could be the next Bama who knows.

IMO, Georgia will get better play from the QB position this season than the last two seasons. Lot more talented guys are about to play for them at QB.

We’re moving in the right direction. Sec is way more competitive these days. Think we soon get to the point where winning the conference will be tougher than winning the playoffs

IDK, guys can be more talented and still not have Bennett's knack in the clutch.

we will see. Bennett knew how to not make mistakes that would get them geat. Much like Hooker. But maybe the next guy at UGA does same or close to it. If the new guy gets close to Bennett, they will be champs again. Just like if Milton can play close to Hooker, UT will be very good again this year.

We have same question on Milton that UGA has at QB. Can either perform across a full season and especially, on the road.

VN Store

Back