Fair to say Vols on the cusp of either emulating or surpassing Fulmer Cutcliffe Chavis years?

No. And that's not a crack on Heupel and his staff. It's just that the SEC is WAYYYY more competitive than it was in the 90's.

In a league where you have Saban, Smart, Kelly, Freeze, Kiffin, Stoops, and you know Texas and Oklahoma will be tough, plus Florida won't be down for long. It's going to be damn hard to win in this league. I think we'll have success but that run in the 90's will be damn tough to replicate or surpass.

The conference is far more competitive overall than it was in the 90s, but I feel like if things keep going the way they are then 10+ wins a season isn’t unreasonable.

I believe we are approaching a window where we are capable of winning a NC, possibly as soon as this season. Bama and UGA both breaking in new QBs. How long that window stays open is up in the air. Could be 2 seasons or we could be the next Bama who knows.

Let's see how the next couple of years play out.

We should be pretty good again this year, and we really need to do well this season but we lose a lot going into 2024.

Looks like we have a very good coach with a very good staff right now but, with success, we will lose some of those pieces.

It's still early. I'm going to take this season one game at a time and try to enjoy the ride.

I think it's close. I think we can realistically expect 9-10 wins now and have a breakthrough season here and there where we win the East (or whatever it looks like in the years to come) and make the playoff.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
We were 45-5 from 95 to 98 or something like that. Let’s pump the brakes a bit. What Heupel has done thus far has been amazing. He was the perfect guy at the right time. I feel like we need to see how we handle success coming off of an 11 win season and an Orange Bowl win. I think 9 regular season wins is good, 10 is very good, 11 is outstanding. If we only win 8 regular season games that would be disappointing IMO.

Where they had a run of ten years give or take averaging 10-11 wins a year? Side note thanks to all of our teachers grade school and college. I know you are either in school today or headed back soon, just a simple shout out thanks.
I don't think they're trying to emulate any previous coaching staff.

Reactions: HighWaterVol
It baffles me how everyone seems to try to negate what our HOF coach did for us! He had us at the top with a 152-52 record while in the SEC and we fired him!

With all the highly educated people in charge of the university, I just can’t fathom why they didn’t give him a sabbatical!

No. And that's not a crack on Heupel and his staff. It's just that the SEC is WAYYYY more competitive than it was in the 90's.

In a league where you have Saban, Smart, Kelly, Freeze, Kiffin, Stoops, and you know Texas and Oklahoma will be tough, plus Florida won't be down for long. It's going to be damn hard to win in this league. I think we'll have success but that run in the 90's will be damn tough to replicate or surpass.

It's for sure harder now but I think some of the current guys are overrated a bit and we forget the 90s weren't completely a cakewalk:

Dinardo had a 2 year stretch where he won 19 games at LSU
Gene Stallings coached up until 1996 and won 70 games in 7 years
Terry Bowden was 47-17 at Auburn
Donnan won 19 over a two year period and went 40-19 overall
Spurrier won 102 games in the 90s

a look at some of today's coaches

Stoops has 60 wins....that's great at UK but it took him 10 years to get there. They've given him a long leash
Kiffin is 51-28 as a Power 5 coach, 1/3 of his P5 wins came the first 2 years at USC
Jimbo Fisher has been given an NFL budget to work with and has yet to have a 10 win season and is 39-21 overall
I don't know what to make of Napier....he looked lost at times last year but he's recruiting great

Again, I know it is a rough road today and the SEC is super top heavy with Nick and Kriby.

I just think sometimes we diminish the things we did in the 90s because Phil went out on such a sour note.

One example is that we always seem to lump Donnan in with Goff....but Donnan was a pretty good coach. Phil just had his number. In 1997 UGA went 10-2 with a win over #6 Florida....we beat them 38-13 that year.

It baffles me how everyone seems to try to negate what our HOF coach did for us! He had us at the top with a 152-52 record while in the SEC and we fired him!

Was sad. Haven't forgotten Wyomjng debacle. Was HOF , but didn't change with the times. Plus he no longer had the great supporting cast of the prior glory years.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Where they had a run of ten years give or take averaging 10-11 wins a year? Side note thanks to all of our teachers grade school and college. I know you are either in school today or headed back soon, just a simple shout out thanks.

45-5 and two SEC Championships over a 4 year period will be tough to duplicate or beat. And that was during the era of11 regular season games instead of the current 12. But, I do think we're on the cusp of 9-3, 10-2, and 11-1 type seasons. At least we're to the point that nobody on the schedule is a sure loss; we can beat 'em all. And, as we all know, have a bad day and can lose to almost anybody on the schedule from the SEC.

Let's see how the next couple of years play out.

We should be pretty good again this year, and we really need to do well this season but we lose a lot going into 2024.

Looks like we have a very good coach with a very good staff right now but, with success, we will lose some of those pieces.

It's still early. I'm going to take this season one game at a time and try to enjoy the ride.

At my age (63), my favorite part of your post is "I'm going to take this season one game at a time and try to enjoy the ride." Amen brother...........

No Ray Goff, Curley Hallman, Mike Dubose, Gerry Dinardo, and that ilk in the SEC to push around.

This is correct. There is really no comparison of Fulmer's SEC to Heupel's SEC. Fulmer was the 2nd best coach in an era when the SEC had two elite programs. And he was a distant 2nd. Ouch.

I believe we are approaching a window where we are capable of winning a NC, possibly as soon as this season. Bama and UGA both breaking in new QBs. How long that window stays open is up in the air. Could be 2 seasons or we could be the next Bama who knows.
And Florida.

VN Store

Back