Expectations at Tennessee and at Florida

Yeah, I kind of felt the same way. Then I read Freak's comments that there are children reading the board. So I am trying to clean up my act

After PJ cracked me with the ruler about a year ago (no I don't hold grudges), I decided no more arguments. It ain't worth it.

I would like to see Hart lay it out for him.

Beat MSU.
Beat either Bama or USCe.
Win the last 4.

Win the bowl game.

If not, pack your bags. As soon as 1 thing is not met, the coaching search begins.

The problem with this aproach is...anyone who has the power to fire Dooley didnt get to their respective position by being an idiot.

Reactions: 1 person
The problem with this aproach is...anyone who has the power to fire Dooley didnt get to their respective position by being an idiot.

They didnt get there by fostering an overall attitude of acceptance of mediocrity either. I assure you of that. I personally think it would be IDIOTIC to keep Dooley another year of those things do not happen.

I know several have been discussing Dooley, fire or not fire, and the expectations that should be expected at Tennessee. You assume Dooley would know the expectations going in, but sometimes a more stern message needs to be delivered by the powers to be that mediocrity isn't going to cut it.

Muschamp mentioned that this was his welcome to the University of Florida the first day he came to work as head coach.

“When I walked into my office [the first day] there were only three things left in a very barren office and that was three national championship trophies. I think our athletic director left them here on purpose to make sure I understood the expectation level. [...] I walked in – his office is right down from mine. I said, ‘Jeremy (Foley, Florida Athletic Director), I’m assuming these were left here on purpose.’ He said, ‘That’s what we expect.’ I said, ‘I got you.’”

I don't disagree with you at all...UT should be able to compete for the SEC title...BUT, I would point out:

1. It took Spurrier 6 years to win a NC at Florida in that talent rich State...How many NC did Fla win before that?

2. Meyer took over a program that was in very good shape after Zook left...Zook may not be an elite coach, but he is an elite recruiter...and TEBOW, TEBOW, TEBOW was the KEY to those two NC...without TEBOW they do not win either of their NCs!!! Heck, without TEBOW Fla doesn't beat UT in 2006!!! And Urban Cryer left town as quick as possible when he knew the show was over!!!

NOW--compare that to the situation CDD took over at UT and you will have a good place to start making some OBJECTIVE observations.

POINT: Expecting CDD to be better than 8-4 this year is just plain STUPID! NO decision even needs to be made until this year has been played out. I, like most, do feel like a win is a must this weekend against Miss. State. to be on track. :salute:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Beep Beep!!!

images

Thanks!

After PJ cracked me with the ruler about a year ago (no I don't hold grudges), I decided no more arguments. It ain't worth it.

I actually did no such thing. If you have issues either report the post or use the Contact Us link at the bottom

You assume he knows the stakes, but like I said, sometimes the message needs to be delivered so clearly that there isn't any misunderstanding about what's expected.

I like your post. Ron Zook is a prime example. Good recruiting wasn't enough to keep him in Gainesville. He lost to Tennessee which I believe is the reason his stay was so short. The attitude around Gainesville is, "You never lose to Tennessee". That is the way ours should be. The problem with our fanbase is that we have been down for so long that we will accept just about anything positive (or spin it in that direction) just to avoid the continuous negativity. Classic example: "Well I know we didn't beat Georgia, but we played for four quarters". Really? Is that what our measuring stick has become? It is really quite sad actually.

Foley would had hired a coach with half experience with potential to win too. When he hired Zook he had no time. We had no time with DD also. But noone wanted the job. We could have had Muschamp had our AD at the time been a serious and respected AD but he blew it so our biggest rival got him. I bet the next hire will be better because of Hart.

MikeVol44,
Let's not forget that Lane Kitten came in with an empty cupboard and spanked Georgia and South Carolina his fist year with several underclassmen playing.

Dooley needed to beat FL this year, this was his time. Some coaches just don't have it. It's called the IT factor, Dooley does not have it. He is a good recruiter, and great person, but an average to below average Head Football Coach. His record speaks for itself, don't forget his 0-19 record against ranked opponents includes his time at La Tech.

If Dooley wants to be back in Knoxville next year he has to beat MSU and BAMA, or South Carolina. Actually to win over the fan base he probably needs to beat all three of them. Of course, had he beaten GA or FL that wouldn't be the case. TN has been below average now for 1/2 a decade and history tells us it won't be tolerated much longer. Two and a half of those five years are on Dooley's watch. He has to start winning or he will not be back next year, plain and simple.

Foley would had hired a coach with half experience with potential to win too. When he hired Zook he had no time. We had no time with DD also. But noone wanted the job. We could have had Muschamp had our AD at the time been a serious and respected AD but he blew it so our biggest rival got him. I bet the next hire will be better because of Hart.

I dont care how many games Muschump wins, im glad he isnt and will never be our coach.

MikeVol44,
Let's not forget that Lane Kitten came in with an empty cupboard and spanked Georgia and South Carolina his fist year with several underclassmen playing.

Dooley needed to beat FL this year, this was his time. Some coaches just don't have it. It's called the IT factor, Dooley does not have it. He is a good recruiter, and great person, but an average to below average Head Football Coach. His record speaks for itself, don't forget his 0-19 record against ranked opponents includes his time at La Tech.

If Dooley wants to be back in Knoxville next year he has to beat MSU and BAMA, or South Carolina. Actually to win over the fan base he probably needs to beat all three of them. Of course, had he beaten GA or FL that wouldn't be the case. TN has been below average now for 1/2 a decade and history tells us it won't be tolerated much longer. Two and a half of those five years are on Dooley's watch. He has to start winning or he will not be back next year, plain and simple.

Win over the fan base? Being louder as a minority doesnt rule out the fact that the majority of UT fans still think Dools can get the job done. About every poll taken shows at least a 2 to 1 ratio in favor of Dooley. He does need to beat MSST but as long as he wins the rest of the games that he should win, he will be back to coach his senior class.

and if he loses to Miss St, then what? My prediction, based on what I have seen the last 2 and 1/2 years Dooley will not return for 2013

Here is another great Foley quote:

In 2002, Foley explained to The Associated Press why he had run off successful baseball, men's tennis and gymnastics coaches in a relatively short time. "I'm a big believer in the saying that if something needs to be done eventually, it needs to be done immediately," Foley said. "We have a responsibility to be as good as we can be."

Tough to argue with that. Unfortunately, we haven't had that attitude here in a long time.

Here is another great Foley quote:

In 2002, Foley explained to The Associated Press why he had run off successful baseball, men's tennis and gymnastics coaches in a relatively short time. "I'm a big believer in the saying that if something needs to be done eventually, it needs to be done immediately," Foley said. "We have a responsibility to be as good as we can be."

this is a great quote and so true - the best way to be mediocre is to accept mediocrity - keep trying on the coach until you land the right guy and right guy will usually turn it around quickly

i will also note that the word "quickly" does vary by sport - it is much easier to win with freshman in bball than fball as one example - but whatever the AD determines is time, if you don't meet the standard by that date you need to go period - for me 8 wins is not enough with the experience and talent of this team - 7 and 5 and a MCB win just doesnt cut it with this talent

simple truth is our Athdept has not been smart recently when it comes to football - the last 3 contracts have been idiotic - fulmer's extension on a fluke year - Kiffins lack of a penalty (real penalty) if he left quickly - Dools getting way too much of a buyout in year 3-4 for what his resume warranted

these were all dumb decisions and these decisions put you in a bind - but this is evaluation year for Dools so hopefully he wins 9 and the point is moot - i think Hart will find the $$ necessary even with the buyout if he doesnt to continue the search for the right guy

They didnt get there by fostering an overall attitude of acceptance of mediocrity either. I assure you of that. I personally think it would be IDIOTIC to keep Dooley another year of those things do not happen.

And you're qualified to evaluate a HC at a big time University because??????

I can promise you that the AD and all the associate ADs forgot more than you will ever know about hiring, evaluation and firing coaches.

MikeVol44,

It's best to keep your mouth shut and hide the fact that you're not smart than open it and remove all doubt!!!

You do the work yourself--Check out the roster LK had to work with compared to CDD...

2009 Tennessee Football Roster | Gate 21

He had some guys on Defense that were 1st rounders--remember Dan Williams--he was better than ANY current DL we have right now! He had a SR. RB who is was drafted high--Hardesty! He had ERIC BERRY and Janzen Jackson as DBs! He had better LBs who were SRs...And other DBs who were better than ANY CURRENT DB we have on the field! He did have 2 walk-ons on the OL, but he also had an NFL starter in Christ Scott.

And, that UGA team was WAY overrated when they came into Knoxville and finished the season at 7-5! And, that S. Carolina team finished 3-5 in the SEC and 7-6 overall...Both UGA and USCe teams this year are WAY better than back in 2009...

Yet, he still lost 7 games and required OT to beat Kentucky...Remember how bad the barn was that year?

But--he cut, ran, and left CDD with nothing!!! And you think that is a fair comparison??? :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Let this year play out...IF we beat MSU, Missouri, Vandy and KY--we should finish 8-4. That is completely attainable...and acceptable...a win against a top 20 opponent and losses against 4 legitimate top 10 teams...How many top 10 teams did LK beat?

7-5 would be a disappointment...either way CDD should get 4 years whether any morons think he deserves it or not...:salute:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I think Hart knows that medicroicy will not be tolerated at UT. Very glad to have him at UT.

Mike Hamilton on the other hand is a different story. This is the same guy who gave Fulmer an extension when at the time we had'nt won an SEC championship game in over 10 years.

VN Store

Back