Excited About Conference Realignment

The SEC coaches all said the same thing in 1990 about moving from a 7 game to an 8 game conference schedule and playing a conference championship. How’d that all turn out?

So you disagree that with each additional challenging game there is additional opportunity for loss? With more parity and more games losses become more inherent. See the NFL for reference, great teams can have a couple of losses.

The playing field in 2024 onward with 16 teams is much different than in 1990 with 10.

I think this move makes the SEC more competitive, which keeps us ahead of the Big10 which becomes a legit strong conference this coming year.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
One thing I hate about all the new realignment is that playing an SEC schedule will be running a gauntlet every season and 9 wins won't be easy to come by, while Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Clemson, and Florida State will continue to play cream puff schedules and win 10-11 games most years. Just based on difficulty of schedule, better SEC teams will miss out on the playoff to lesser teams from the other three "Power 4" conferences every season.
B1G realignment will make things a little more balanced. Oregon and Washington (and USC if they ever start playing defense) won’t be cake for the big three year in and year out. In fact PSU probably won’t even be in the top three of the conference anymore.

B1G realignment will make things a little more balanced. Oregon and Washington (and USC if they ever start playing defense) won’t be cake for the big three year in and year out. In fact PSU probably won’t even be in the top three of the conference anymore.

Probably true, but the Big 10 still goes 5-6 deep at best in an 18-team conference, although they would say the same about the SEC, I'm sure.

I’ll like playing our other west opponents more than once a decade at home. Other than that, nope. I dislike Texas coming in when they’re back to being good about as much as I did Mizzou coming in with an unusually complete team. They’re gonna come in, so well, and automatically think they belong and they’re inherently better. This is bad timing IMO.

Reactions: Clad in Big Orange
Sorry, but I say "Baaaah Humbug!" Let's RETRACT back to the original 10 SEC teams and split the dough with fewer programs! Ark, SC, Mizzou, A&M, Tejas and OU can go start their OWN conference as far as I'm concerned. But I'm old, so...
Go back to when Sewanee, Tulane & Georgia Tech were in the Conference, Old School 🤣

Count me among those that believe this super conference is just going to make it harder for teams among the "have nots" to rise into perennial playoff contender. Unfortunately, Vols are in that group. Maybe once a decade we can have a great season. (puts on kevlar vest)

Reactions: turbovol
I know, I know, nothing will ever equal the good old days before Mizzou and A&M joined, or even the really good, really old days before Arky and South Cackalacky joined, but those days aren’t coming back. Let’s focus on what we’re gaining from the SEC realignment.

1. We will finally feel like we’re in the same conference as the former west division schools other than Alabama. Right now, Miss State and Arkansas feel like they might as well be in the American, we play so little. It will be great to play everyone instead of just the same boring slate of UK, Mizzou, Vandy, SCe and the big three. Auburn could become a rival again. We’ll get to have regular matchups with ole Laney, with all the drama and acrimony that comes with them. Sign me up.

2. More big games. How can you look at that Oklahoma game for the SEC opener and not be excited? Up until this point, Tennessee and Alabama were the only true, historic blue-bloods in the conference (you can throw UGA in there too with their impressive all time win total and recent championships). Now we’ll have not just three but five of the top-ten all time programs. I for one am thrilled that we’ll be facing OU and UTjr regularly. I could even see the latter becoming a minor rivalry.

Anyway, I think there’s a lot to be positive about. Whatever may be detrimental about realignment, it will certainly result in more of what we all love — compelling, meaningful football games. Big matchups. Bring on the new era, I say.

What say you?

I say I disagree.

Sure, let's not stop at Oklahoma and Texas, why not add OSU and Michigan as well? Every game a big game---and everybody would be looking at the occasional , or perhaps regular, 4-win season. Last year we played LSU, bama, georgia, florida, for starters--four big matchups. We all could play more big games under the current setup if we all stopped playing 4 easy non-conference games every year. That is what screws up the schedule. Why are we playing Austin Pea and Connecticut? Those games could be Auburn and Mississippi.

Count me among those that believe this super conference is just going to make it harder for teams among the "have nots" to rise into perennial playoff contender. Unfortunately, Vols are in that group. Maybe once a decade we can have a great season. (puts on kevlar vest)
Well I noticed yesterday while watching Bama V UGA I noticed 2 of Bama players had portalted from UGA to Bama 2 main players in the game#3& #17 so I’m assuming these 2 teams get the best & if it don’t work out at 1 they portal to the other.
5 Star Swap Shop amongst the Top-dogs.

Here is what would’ve been cool. One of my employees came up with this
West division:
Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi state
Ole miss
Missouri
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M

East division
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vandy

Play two non conference games first two game of the season and have 3 off weeks. Total regular season, 10 games.

Go back to when Sewanee, Tulane & Georgia Tech were in the Conference, Old School 🤣
Yea Sewanee’s Right! 🤣

I love my undergrad alma mater enough to NOT want those kids playing my grad school alma mater (Go Vols!) in any sport. We would get murdered!

In general I still don’t think those Big XII teams belong but like you said it’s done and no amount of crying from me is going to change that.

So… I’m glad we are ditching divisions and will play everyone more often again (and Mizz and SCAR less often).
Dude, after they added Mizzou, I gave up being mad about anything regarding what the conference does. It's like pissing into the wind.

VN Store

Back