Excited About Conference Realignment

Vol in Buckeye Land

I know, I know, nothing will ever equal the good old days before Mizzou and A&M joined, or even the really good, really old days before Arky and South Cackalacky joined, but those days aren’t coming back. Let’s focus on what we’re gaining from the SEC realignment.

1. We will finally feel like we’re in the same conference as the former west division schools other than Alabama. Right now, Miss State and Arkansas feel like they might as well be in the American, we play so little. It will be great to play everyone instead of just the same boring slate of UK, Mizzou, Vandy, SCe and the big three. Auburn could become a rival again. We’ll get to have regular matchups with ole Laney, with all the drama and acrimony that comes with them. Sign me up.

2. More big games. How can you look at that Oklahoma game for the SEC opener and not be excited? Up until this point, Tennessee and Alabama were the only true, historic blue-bloods in the conference (you can throw UGA in there too with their impressive all time win total and recent championships). Now we’ll have not just three but five of the top-ten all time programs. I for one am thrilled that we’ll be facing OU and UTjr regularly. I could even see the latter becoming a minor rivalry.

Anyway, I think there’s a lot to be positive about. Whatever may be detrimental about realignment, it will certainly result in more of what we all love — compelling, meaningful football games. Big matchups. Bring on the new era, I say.

What say you?

In general I still don’t think those Big XII teams belong but like you said it’s done and no amount of crying from me is going to change that.

So… I’m glad we are ditching divisions and will play everyone more often again (and Mizz and SCAR less often).

On a related note, I hope the conference will consider having the SEC Championship game in different cities. Now that all the teams aren't somewhat convenient to Atlanta, I think it is time to consider New Orleans, Dallas, St Louis, Nashville, etc. Maybe even a rotating schedule where 6 or so cities are cycled through as host.

Understand this is the FB forum but just wanted to say its not just FB that will be effected by the 2 new teams, BB, softball, etc. TX-OK bring a good overall sports program to the SEC. OK softball is about as dominant a team in the sport they play as I have ever seen. Going to be interesting next season for sure.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I say "Baaaah Humbug!" Let's RETRACT back to the original 10 SEC teams and split the dough with fewer programs! Ark, SC, Mizzou, A&M, Tejas and OU can go start their OWN conference as far as I'm concerned. But I'm old, so...
The ghosts of Conference past will be visiting you on SEC Championship eve, Scrooge.

On a related note, I hope the conference will consider having the SEC Championship game in different cities. Now that all the teams aren't somewhat convenient to Atlanta, I think it is time to consider New Orleans, Dallas, St Louis, Nashville, etc. Maybe even a rotating schedule where 6 or so cities are cycled through as host.
That makes too much sense for he SEC to consider it

Sorry, but I say "Baaaah Humbug!" Let's RETRACT back to the original 10 SEC teams and split the dough with fewer programs! Ark, SC, Mizzou, A&M, Tejas and OU can go start their OWN conference as far as I'm concerned. But I'm old, so...
You wanting to add Georgia Tech and Tulane back to the SEC?

Im thinking Sewannee was a chstter member as well.

That makes too much sense for he SEC to consider it
I've got a plan to kidnap Sankey and put him in the hole in my basement until one of two things happens. He either agrees to the idea, or he drops enough weight for me to stitch together a new skin for myself made from his flesh.

The new stadium in Nashville will be primo!

Knowing Greg Sankey he would probably want it moved to Tuscaloosa

In general I still don’t think those Big XII teams belong but like you said it’s done and no amount of crying from me is going to change that.

So… I’m glad we are ditching divisions and will play everyone more often again (and Mizz and SCAR less often).
SEC should have put a dealbreaker on A&M joining. Y'all can join the SEC, but only if you drop those awful yell squad guys.

I know, I know, nothing will ever equal the good old days before Mizzou and A&M joined, or even the really good, really old days before Arky and South Cackalacky joined, but those days aren’t coming back. Let’s focus on what we’re gaining from the SEC realignment.

1. We will finally feel like we’re in the same conference as the former west division schools other than Alabama. Right now, Miss State and Arkansas feel like they might as well be in the American, we play so little. It will be great to play everyone instead of just the same boring slate of UK, Mizzou, Vandy, SCe and the big three. Auburn could become a rival again. We’ll get to have regular matchups with ole Laney, with all the drama and acrimony that comes with them. Sign me up.

2. More big games. How can you look at that Oklahoma game for the SEC opener and not be excited? Up until this point, Tennessee and Alabama were the only true, historic blue-bloods in the conference (you can throw UGA in there too with their impressive all time win total and recent championships). Now we’ll have not just three but five of the top-ten all time programs. I for one am thrilled that we’ll be facing OU and UTjr regularly. I could even see the latter becoming a minor rivalry.

Anyway, I think there’s a lot to be positive about. Whatever may be detrimental about realignment, it will certainly result in more of what we all love — compelling, meaningful football games. Big matchups. Bring on the new era, I say.

What say you?
Any schedule where each school gets to play all the other schools every couple years and home & home every 4 is fine by me. We've had way more of Bama and Georgia than everyone not named Auburn and I'm fine to let the rest of the league join in on that more often.

When the new Nissan stadium is built it will def come to Nashville. Prob the national championship as well.

VN Store

Back