"Ex-Vols Relish Jones Call"....Volquest

Butch seems to be doing all the right things, I hope it translates into wins....perhaps a loss will now hurt him as much as it does VN....the next 2-3 years will indeed tell the story....however, I don't expect to see us winning many SEC games the next 2 years
Go Vols

He's making $3 million per year with a so-so record in crappy conferences, so he better be doing everything right and working about 18 hours a day. I don't care about his family. I care about 4 and 5* recruits and wins.

So so record? Thats cute..

Reactions: 1 person
He's reaching out to former players so if he tanks it for 3 years we don't run him out of town. Otherwise whats the point. You have to earn respect in these parts. CBJ ain't earned crap yet. He needs to stop worrying bout what former players think of him and worry about what FUTURE players think of him. I like CBJ, but he hasn't proved anything yet. It's hard to rally behind a coach that was the 5th or 6th choice with mediocre success in bad conferences.

Understandable reasoning considering it is from the "hamlet," backwater, Watertown.

They miss the point because it is a younger generation who has done nothing so far and made no sacrifices. Like the new avatar by the way.

Made no sacrafices? I have been a fan for a long time..since majors.. I have watched a proud football program go to nothing. You guys are delusional in thinking CBJ is our answer back to winning in the sec. Why do you think nobody else in the sec interviewed him. The same reason he got a 3 year deal. I hope he does good, but Im not getting my hopes up for CBJ. the hiring of CBJ showed me where our football program is. 10-50 years ago coaches would be getting turned down by us, now we getting turned down by them. Our ship is sinking fast, Im on board, doesnt mean i have to like it, or think hes our saban

Reactions: 2 people
Hey, Gruuden. Please give it a rest. As your name implies, you're not ever going to be happy with the CBJ hire. You would have rather had a coach with no college experience, a worse won/loss record and had been fired from his last 3 jobs. Oh, and at twice the cost !! Makes sense to me. Ramble on, goob. :post-4-1090547912:

Let's not answer dumb with dumber. Butch may be a good hire but Gruden would have been a game changer. I will back Butch as long as the team performs. Why do you care about the cost? Gruden was fired once anyway.

That, you are 100 percent right about. I had hope that UT football was back on the right track with a guaranteed home run hire. Now we have a mediocre...... well you know my thoughts. But I like watching my fellow vol fans have high hopes right now.. what I won't like is after we get blown out by EVERYBODY. ya'll saying.. well its dooleys team hes coaching with or whatever excuses ya'll make up. Fact is, we got an unproven coach in the best conference, other than the NFL, with the most passionate fans.

Unproven?? Lol 4 championships in 6 years and is 23 games over a .500 winning percentage. There's not many coaches out there (that we had a realistic shot at) with a better record. He actually has a winning record as a coach which is more than I can say our last 2 coaches had. Get a life man Gruden wasn't coming EVER!! Get over it. Take your negative outlook on life elsewhere. It's a good thing when coaches reach out to former players.

This is all touching and all.. I just hope coach Cincinnati wins some meaningful games...Until then the seats won't be full and people will be holding their judgement about this hire.. Better hire than Dooley yes, how much better we won't know til probably 2014..

That, you are 100 percent right about. I had hope that UT football was back on the right track with a guaranteed home run hire. Now we have a mediocre...... well you know my thoughts. But I like watching my fellow vol fans have high hopes right now.. what I won't like is after we get blown out by EVERYBODY. ya'll saying.. well its dooleys team hes coaching with or whatever excuses ya'll make up. Fact is, we got an unproven coach in the best conference, other than the NFL, with the most passionate

Well, if you already know that Jones is mediocre and that the team will get blown out by everyone then I see no reason for you to bother following this team any longer.I absolutely can't stand you butthurt Grudenites that just can't seem to understand that Gruden was never coming.Get behind the coach that wanted the job and is trying to do the right things or go the hell on, you're incessant whining is getting really old.

Reactions: 4 people
Unproven?? Lol 4 championships in 6 years and is 23 games over a .500 winning percentage. There's not many coaches out there (that we had a realistic shot at) with a better record. He actually has a winning record as a coach which is more than I can say our last 2 coaches had. Get a life man Gruden wasn't coming EVER!! Get over it. Take your negative outlook on life elsewhere. It's a good thing when coaches reach out to former players.

27-13 at central michigan
23-14 at cincinatti
Now if he had petrino like numbers(41-9 at Louisville) I'd be excited. oh yeah he tied for conference championships in big east

That, you are 100 percent right about. I had hope that UT football was back on the right track with a guaranteed home run hire. Now we have a mediocre...... well you know my thoughts. But I like watching my fellow vol fans have high hopes right now.. what I won't like is after we get blown out by EVERYBODY. ya'll saying.. well its dooleys team hes coaching with or whatever excuses ya'll make up. Fact is, we got an unproven coach in the best conference, other than the NFL, with the most passionate

Well, if you already know that Jones is mediocre and that the team will get blown out by everyone then I see no reason for you to bother following this team any longer.I absolutely can't stand you butthurt Grudenites that just can't seem to understand that Gruden was never coming.Get behind the coach that wanted the job and is trying to do the right things or go the hell on, you're incessant whining is getting really old.
Get behind the coach that wanted the job? I want the job. would ya'll support me? He wanted the job because he got paid a ton of money. Who wouldn't?

again, reserved in my expectations and limited in my belief that Jones will take us to the top...however, he is making some great moves right now...so far so good

23-14 at cincinatti
Now if he had petrino like numbers(41-9 at Louisville) I'd be excited. oh yeah he tied for conference championships in big east

Lets be honest. Butch Jones' previous record is irrelevant to you. There's nothing wrong with that opinion....but call it what is.

Made no sacrafices? I have been a fan for a long time..since majors.. I have watched a proud football program go to nothing. You guys are delusional in thinking CBJ is our answer back to winning in the sec. Why do you think nobody else in the sec interviewed him. The same reason he got a 3 year deal. I hope he does good, but Im not getting my hopes up for CBJ. the hiring of CBJ showed me where our football program is. 10-50 years ago coaches would be getting turned down by us, now we getting turned down by them. Our ship is sinking fast, Im on board, doesnt mean i have to like it, or think hes our saban

You do make some good points, Gruden. It is frustrating to see Tennessee at a point where more coaches aren't clamoring to join. And, I too am a realist and understand that Jones is not the First choice. But, I think your seeing the glass as 'half-empty' when it truly is 'half-full'. Jones is a promising coach that many programs did consider. He has a proven track record and lots of enthusiasm. I wasn't as much on-board at first. But I like the moves I see thus far.

Now, I too was a fan around when Majors started. Majors was close to a home run hire. But, I remember him being inconsistent. One year he'd be up and the next, we'd struggle. Then, Fulmer (not exactly a home run hire at the time) took us to the next level.

After the last several years (worst in Tennessee history?) I love seeing a coach coming in to 'clean house' and aggressively fight to get us back. Dooley clearly was not the man to do that.

This is all touching and all.. I just hope coach Cincinnati wins some meaningful games...Until then the seats won't be full and people will be holding their judgement about this hire.. Better hire than Dooley yes, how much better we won't know til probably 2014..

Seats will start out full next season. Just a matter how how full it is after a few games. Im really excited to see what he does next year. I'm betting a ranked team goes down in Neyland next season.

Hart/Cheek/BOT/big boosters/local media will sell, sell, sell. Just like Butch, that asks his players what they are selling each day. It is about the sale. We are now WalMart or the local auto dealer.

Win games. The rest of it will not help the program long term. Recruit better players and win games. There were 60 letterman there at this staged PR event. There are hundreds within an hour's drive of UT. Most of them are skeptical as well. Let's see if it happens first. Dooley came in and won most of you over as well. Most of you then turned on him 2-3 years in.

The guy has never done a rebuild. He has lost 3 of his top 5 players on offense to the NFL with one more decision by Bray to go. That was the best unit the team had. Look at what the O-line will be like from an experience standpoint in 2014. The D was unspeakably bad. Are you expecting miracles there? It's OK to remain cautious since there is no track record of building a program by Jones. This will be a long term proposition if he is to be successful since Hart/Cheek botched it. All of it is happening as the rest of the SEC gets even better.

Just because another SEC team iffer him doesnt mean he wont get us back. He has won everywhere he's been. How many people interviewed Saban before he went to LSU or Miles before he went there? Saban didnt win anything at Mich St.
6-5-1
6-6
7-5
6-6
9-2

Thats a 54% record at Mich St. That should tell you all you need to know. Coach's records at lesser schools dont always tell the story. And Jon's won 4the conf titles and won around 66% of his games. Point being its possible he is the next great coach. Or possible he bombs. But so far he has been successful everywhere he's been and out recruited CBK at Cincy. Give the man a chance. He isnt Dooley.

He's making $3 million per year with a so-so record in crappy conferences, so he better be doing everything right and working about 18 hours a day. I don't care about his family. I care about 4 and 5* recruits and wins.

You remind me of the guy who always shows up drunk at the party, thinks everything he does makes the party better and goes home unaware that he was what destroyed all the fun that night. Go poop on some one else's party.

In other words, quit being a debbie downer before the guy even has a chance to prove anything. ALso, I think you should post less often than you do now.

Reactions: 4 people
Hart/Cheek/BOT/big boosters/local media will sell, sell, sell. Just like Butch, that asks his players what they are selling each day. It is about the sale. We are now WalMart or the local auto dealer.

Win games. The rest of it will not help the program long term. Recruit better players and win games. There were 60 letterman there at this staged PR event. There are hundreds within an hour's drive of UT. Most of them are skeptical as well. Let's see if it happens first. Dooley came in and won most of you over as well. Most of you then turned on him 2-3 years in.

The guy has never done a rebuild. He has lost 3 of his top 5 players on offense to the NFL with one more decision by Bray to go. That was the best unit the team had. Look at what the O-line will be like from an experience standpoint in 2014. The D was unspeakably bad. Are you expecting miracles there? It's OK to remain cautious since there is no track record of building a program by Jones. This will be a long term proposition if he is to be successful since Hart/Cheek botched it. All of it is happening as the rest of the SEC gets even better.

Difference with Dooley was he wasnt successful at LA Tech, wasnt likeable and didnt allow former players back. Dooley's own players didnt like him. You cant even remotely compare him to Dooley. Yes losing those 3 wont help, but Bray and Hunter's attitude really sucked. Bray's sucked on and off the field. Hunter dropped atleast 2 passes a game, avoided any kind of contact and how many times did he short arm passes or give very little effort if it was going to be a difficult pass? Those $hitty attitudes can rub off and Patterson will be the only one I will miss.

Just because they are a 4 or 5 star recruit doesn't mean they are going to be heisman candidates. Get your head out of the sand (or another hole that is most likely).

23-14 at cincinatti

95–81–0 (Regular Season)
5–4 (Postseason)
100–85–0 (Overall)

And who's record is this? And before the "it's the NFL excuse" you said yourself we are the SEC which is as good as any right short of the NFL.

VN Store

Back