"Ex-Vols Relish Jones Call"....Volquest

Butch Jones making all the right moves…like Jeff Hall said, what I like most about it is its not calculated, it's just what he thinks should be done, and its right.

He's reaching out to former players so if he tanks it for 3 years we don't run him out of town. Otherwise whats the point. You have to earn respect in these parts. CBJ ain't earned crap yet. He needs to stop worrying bout what former players think of him and worry about what FUTURE players think of him. I like CBJ, but he hasn't proved anything yet. It's hard to rally behind a coach that was the 5th or 6th choice with mediocre success in bad conferences.

Reactions: 3 people
If there any doubters out there as to CBJ character and passion then I suggest you read this article from the night over 60 former players met with CBJ....

VolQuest.com - Ex-Vols relish Jones' call

Former Vol placekicker and National Champion Jeff Hall said the first thing he told his wife after getting home from meeting head coach Butch Jones and his staff Tuesday night was that he was finally excited about Tennessee football again.

"Last night, I was looking around and I'm looking at Charlie Rosenfelder (class of 1968) all the way up to Nick Reviez (class of 2010) and I'm thinking 'You know, here's our family again.' This group has one common bond and it's something that Butch Jones said. The logo never falls off. All of us share that logo," a passionate Hall shared. "That's something that the outside world doesn't share with us. We were the ones who played on the field. Like he said and I won't do this justice. He said we were the architects, the builders and the bricklayers or something like that. I thought it was a great illustration. Here is is the new coach welcoming us. Introducing his coaching staff and letting us ask him questions. Then giving us a tour of the facility. It was family. It wasn't a fundraising event. It wasn't a glad-handing event. It was a 'Hey, you guys were here long before I was. I'm the new guy in town. I'm going to do my best to get this ship righted and I want you all to be involved with it.' I left incredibly encouraged. For the first time since 2008-2009, I'm excited about Tennessee football again."

Hall was among some 60 lettermen from all eras of Tennessee football that broke bread and spent time meeting their school's new head coach. For Jones, who has seemingly made all the right moves in nearly two weeks on the job, the gathering was much needed and was a smashing success.

"I thought it was great," former all-SEC quarterback and Vol network sideline reporter Andy Kelly said. "I told coach Jones that I thought he was saying and doing the right things so far from what I've seen. Not only do the former players appreciate things like this, I think when the fans hear about things like this they appreciate that you're reaching out to former players as well. I think it's important to them.

"It was just a very welcoming environment. I feel very comfortable coming up there any time and walking around. The weight coaches were the same way. They said anytime you are here feel free to come on in and check everything out and talk to us. It was a good feeling (Tuesday) night."

And it's a feeling that the former players all say has been much needed around their alma mater for a while.

"I think it meant a lot to be invited, especially after the last coaching staff kind of made it a hard thing to do to say it very kindly," former defensive end Will Overstreet said. "I think to kind of get back more to where coach (Phillip) Fulmer had it in 'Hey this is a family. You played here. We don't treat you with distrust. It's a sign of trust that you can come to practices. We don't see it as a pain or a hassle to have you around.'

"I like the perspective of coach Jones. I think he comes across in the same way that I respected my coaches at Tennessee and the reason I probably came to Tennessee was the way that they interacted with their players. In the sense of, it is a teaching environment. It's a place where you are trying to train young men and not just teaching them football. You are trying to be a part of their lives and I think that is a much needed change. I think it's what has made our program special in the past."

As John and I were leaving the complex Tuesday night we bumped into several former Vols who were waiting for the meet and greet to start. The lettermen fraternity is bond that's not replicated. When two or more gather the stories begin to flow. Tuesday night those stories were flowing before Jones ever entered the room and they didn't stop when he did meet the former Vols. Perhaps most importantly, the head coach made it clear he wanted to hear more of them moving forward.

"It was very casual. He came in and talked to us a little bit. He welcomed us and let it be known that not only are we welcomed there but he wants us there. He said something to the effect of there's nothing better on a ballgame weekend then when former players are around. It adds to the excitement. Not only does he welcome it, but he's encouraging it," Kelly said.

"He opened the floor and said does anyone here have any questions for me or us (coaching staff). The main question that got asked a couple of times a couple different ways was what as players can we do to help you. The main question we had was let us know how we can help. Basically his answer in a nutshell was to just be here. Be known. Be seen. Be around us."

Added Hall, "There was no agenda. They were not asking for money. They weren't doing it as an obligatory thing. It's a 'Hey we are getting the family together and we are going to introduce the new family members.'"

A feeling that Hall and many others have been hoping would return.

Thanks for posting

Reactions: 2 people
He's reaching out to former players so if he tanks it for 3 years we don't run him out of town. Otherwise whats the point. You have to earn respect in these parts. CBJ ain't earned crap yet. He needs to stop worrying bout what former players think of him and worry about what FUTURE players think of him. I like CBJ, but he hasn't proved anything yet. It's hard to rally behind a coach that was the 5th or 6th choice with mediocre success in bad conferences.

did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed

did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed

Not at all. just trying to be realistic. If you win games, the former players come to you. Unless former players can help recruit, sounds like he's kissing butt or trying to get autographs. Another recruit turned Ut down yesterday, QB will grier(i think From NC), going to FLA. This is getting emberassing, Coaches and players turning us down left and right in the national spotlight, and CBJ out there talking to former players. We lost our best 3 players, got a brutal schedule, and he's reliving the 90's.

Reactions: 2 people

1. We are in a recruiting dead period so he cant really have an influence on what FUTURE players think right now.
2. He was the 3rd choice not 5th or 6th.
3. He is 23 games over .500 in 6 years as a head coach at lower level schools that play bigger conference opponents each year to raise funds to support the football program
4. He won 4 Conference Titles in 6 years at these schools and finished 2nd once.
5. You want former players on your side because they help the current and future players get jobs when they graduate or post NFL.

Reactions: 10 people
Not at all. just trying to be realistic. If you win games, the former players come to you. Unless former players can help recruit, sounds like he's kissing butt or trying to get autographs. Another recruit turned Ut down yesterday, QB will grier(i think From NC), going to FLA. This is getting emberassing, Coaches and players turning us down left and right in the national spotlight, and CBJ out there talking to former players. We lost our best 3 players, got a brutal schedule, and he's reliving the 90's.
You're completely missing the point.

Reactions: 8 people
Solid post Volzilla. Feels like home again.

CBJ and staff are off to a great start with the culture that should have always been... UT.

GBO!:hi:

He's making $3 million per year with a so-so record in crappy conferences, so he better be doing everything right and working about 18 hours a day. I don't care about his family. I care about 4 and 5* recruits and wins.
r

Constipated AND brainless. Your avi says it all. You're little more than talking sperm. Come back when you grow up. :spank:

Sad to see a couple of people on here moaning and groaning about what should be seen as a great story and how CBJ is getting orange blood into his veins. Nothing seems to ever be good enough for these nay sayers unless things are done exactly as they'd want them to be, which obviously isn't going to happen. So quit looking for the negative in things when there is none there, it is the "NegaVols" that hurt this university, team, and players with your negativity. I wasn't big on CBJ as the hire, but as I've read up on him and his actions in the few weeks he has been with the Vols, it shows he cares more about this team than some of you "NegaVols" seem to care about the team. All y'all care about is to wake up everyday and complain.

Reactions: 6 people
Unreal how this new coach is. Tennessee might have stumbled ass backwards into lighting Into the proverbial bottle.

As the song says... You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find... You get what you need.

GBO!

That's a good song, one of my favorite classic rock songs, Rolling Stones You Can't Always Get What You Want. :loco:

Ever think that some if these former Vols have sons, nephews, cousins and younger brothers? No, you didn't think at all....

Reactions: 4 people
He's making $3 million per year with a so-so record in crappy conferences, so he better be doing everything right and working about 18 hours a day. I don't care about his family. I care about 4 and 5* recruits and wins.

How about getting behind him and backing the program instead of getting behind him and throwing darts at his back?

Hey, Gruuden. Please give it a rest. As your name implies, you're not ever going to be happy with the CBJ hire. You would have rather had a coach with no college experience, a worse won/loss record and had been fired from his last 3 jobs. Oh, and at twice the cost !! Makes sense to me. Ramble on, goob. :post-4-1090547912:

Reactions: 1 person
CBJ is doing things the right way and, in the end ,I expect it will pay big dividends. This type of atmosphere, where former players are around the practice facilities and team activities, will have a hugh impact on recruits that see that interaction. You can sense the passion and excitement that coach Jones has for the opportunity to be associated with and lead this program. Recruits will pick up on that passion and want to be a part of it. Better days are ahead for UT football.

Last edited:
CBJ is doing things the right way and, in the end ,I expect it will pay big dividends. This type of atmosphere, where former players are around the practice facilities and team activities, will have a hugh impact on recruits that see that interaction. You can sense the passion and excitement that coach Jones has for the opportunity to be associated with and lead this program. Recruits will pick up on that passion and want to be a part of it. Better days are ahead for UT football.

:rock::rock:

CBJ is doing things the right way and, in the end ,I expect it will pay big dividends. This type of atmosphere, where former players are around the practice facilities and team activities, will have a hugh impact on recruits that see that interaction. You can sense the passion and excitement that coach Jones has for the opportunity to be associated with and lead this program. Recruits will pick up on that passion and want to be a part of it. Better days are ahead for UR football.

UR? Rutgers?

4 conference championships in 6 yrs! Let the WIN shower over you.. As it may wash the hate from your loins

He's still bitter he bought in to the Gruden fantasy

That, you are 100 percent right about. I had hope that UT football was back on the right track with a guaranteed home run hire. Now we have a mediocre...... well you know my thoughts. But I like watching my fellow vol fans have high hopes right now.. what I won't like is after we get blown out by EVERYBODY. ya'll saying.. well its dooleys team hes coaching with or whatever excuses ya'll make up. Fact is, we got an unproven coach in the best conference, other than the NFL, with the most passionate fans.

VN Store

Back