Everyone needs to calm down...

Martin haters, Martin lovers, Pearl haters, Pearl lovers, Mears lovers, Jerry Green lovers, Kevin O'Neill haters, etc. etc.

1) Coach Martin and Tennessee blew a lot of golden opportunities to seal a tourney bid. There's no doubt that. However, UT still should have gotten in. This whole "Well, it doesn't matter because we could have played better" is true, but doesn't hide the fact that UT got the shaft.

2) UT won twenty regular season games without their best player playing a single minute this year. If I told you that was going to happen before the season, 95% of you would have jumped for joy at that.

3) I know the NIT is not the NCAA Tourney, but these players put in thousands upon thousands of hours for YOUR entertainment. I don't care how upset you are, you should watch A) Because it's Tennessee and you should always watch Tennessee when you can, because you don't always get that opportunity. B) You should always support the university. C) These players deserve that, especially with all the adversity they've overcome this season.

4) Coach Martin is the coach here. He's going to be the coach here. He's not getting fired, whether he should be or not. There's almost no point in talking about new coaches. We can do that next year if he fails.

5) If UT doesn't make the tourney next year, Martin should and will be fired. Period.

6) Martin needs to figure out how to get the team to grasp the offense better. It's his biggest weakness. It's why we didn't make the tourney and that's inexcusable.

7) The constant bickering and bringing up the same point in a myriad of threads, by both sides, need to stop. Like now.

8) My advice isn't worth much, but here it is: Calm down, support the team in the NIT, enjoy the best four days in sports with the NCAAT this week, maybe go see the Baseball Vols this weekend, say a prayer for Jeronne Maymon's knee, get a drink to toast to Jordan McRae's season, get a grip, and come back tomorrow and let's start talking about next year's team, which will be preseason top 25, and, personally, I think, is going to make some big noise next year. And enjoy that really long run on sentence.

Go Vols!!!!!! :hi:

I'd also like to add that people should be cheering for the Badgers to beat the ever living hell out of Ole Miss and I hope someone punches Henderson in his Big Bird beak.

It's going to be entertaining to see Ole Miss have to play against a team that guards the hell out of you.

Good points by the OP. Although I think this is CCM's ceiling. NIT city, woohoo. That's what we deserve when we have weak a## AD's that let the NCAA bully us into firing our greatest ever bball coach over a dang BBQ and a little white lie.

Reactions: 2 people
Good points by the OP. Although I think this is CCM's ceiling. NIT city, woohoo. That's what we deserve when we have weak a## AD's that let the NCAA bully us into firing our greatest ever bball coach over a dang BBQ and a little white lie.

Smh.

He went 18-13 last year regular season and had some horrible losses. We went 19-11 this year and avoided those horrible losses and were right on the edge of the tourney. That's improvement in my eyes, and without even getting into Maymon or Golden injuries, that's improvement. Let's hope we add Thompson, the offense progresses and the staff continues to implement a zone and hope for the trend of improving to continue next year.

One thing is certain and many have addressed it, we have to start better. The committee has pretty much proven that the way you close is no more important than the way you start, so Zo needs to keep that in mind. We also need to take advantage of opportunities and find a way to pull out a game like this year at Georgetown. The early season opportunities will be there next year, the battle for Atlantis is absolutely loaded and we probably will have as talented and expeienced a roster as anyone there, time to come out of the gates swinging.

Go Vols!

It would also help our RPI if we could win a few games on the ROAD! Maybe lesser competition early on would enable us to get those much needed road wins.

He went 18-13 last year regular season and had some horrible losses. We went 19-11 this year and avoided those horrible losses and were right on the edge of the tourney. That's improvement in my eyes, and without even getting into Maymon or Golden injuries, that's improvement. Let's hope we add Thompson, the offense progresses and the staff continues to implement a zone and hope for the trend of improving to continue next year.

One thing is certain and many have addressed it, we have to start better. The committee has pretty much proven that the way you close is no more important than the way you start, so Zo needs to keep that in mind. We also need to take advantage of opportunities and find a way to pull out a game like this year at Georgetown. The early season opportunities will be there next year, the battle for Atlantis is absolutely loaded and we probably will have as talented and expeienced a roster as anyone there, time to come out of the gates swinging.

Go Vols!

My local sports channel was going over the criteria the committee considers in choosing the teams. They stated, the committee doesn't even count the last 12 games of the year they are out of the equation. Is this true?

Martin haters, Martin lovers, Pearl haters, Pearl lovers, Mears lovers, Jerry Green lovers, Kevin O'Neill haters, etc. etc.

1) Coach Martin and Tennessee blew a lot of golden opportunities to seal a tourney bid. There's no doubt that. However, UT still should have gotten in. This whole "Well, it doesn't matter because we could have played better" is true, but doesn't hide the fact that UT got the shaft.

2) UT won twenty regular season games without their best player playing a single minute this year. If I told you that was going to happen before the season, 95% of you would have jumped for joy at that.

3) I know the NIT is not the NCAA Tourney, but these players put in thousands upon thousands of hours for YOUR entertainment. I don't care how upset you are, you should watch A) Because it's Tennessee and you should always watch Tennessee when you can, because you don't always get that opportunity. B) You should always support the university. C) These players deserve that, especially with all the adversity they've overcome this season.

4) Coach Martin is the coach here. He's going to be the coach here. He's not getting fired, whether he should be or not. There's almost no point in talking about new coaches. We can do that next year if he fails.

5) If UT doesn't make the tourney next year, Martin should and will be fired. Period.

6) Martin needs to figure out how to get the team to grasp the offense better. It's his biggest weakness. It's why we didn't make the tourney and that's inexcusable.

7) The constant bickering and bringing up the same point in a myriad of threads, by both sides, need to stop. Like now.

8) My advice isn't worth much, but here it is: Calm down, support the team in the NIT, enjoy the best four days in sports with the NCAAT this week, maybe go see the Baseball Vols this weekend, say a prayer for Jeronne Maymon's knee, get a drink to toast to Jordan McRae's season, get a grip, and come back tomorrow and let's start talking about next year's team, which will be preseason top 25, and, personally, I think, is going to make some big noise next year. And enjoy that really long run on sentence.

Go Vols!!!!!! :hi:

I agree with half of your post

1.) I don't agree with Tennessee getting shafted. They had every opportunity to get back into this and I gave up hope after the GA blow up. They still had a chance and couldn't get nothing done against Bama. Launching 3 after 3 and not hitting from the stripe is something we couldn't afford.

2.) With or without Maymon, this team had the talent to surpass 20 wins and go dancing. McRae was a big question mark coming into this season but anyone that watched this offense played this season has to have a bad taste in their mouth.

3.) Absolutely not. I hate to sound like a prick but the basketball team or any team for that matter is lucky to have fans. The true fan stuff just doesn't cut it when it comes to the NIT. I won't support it but I'm glad people that normally wouldn't catch a game will get to now because you can get good seats for cheap. Still, when you get invited to the NIT, your season is basically over. Winning it all or losing in the first round is embarrasing and the only NIT that matters is the first of the year.

6.) Yes! I know you were in the group that discussed how Martin explained our offense as a watered down, modified version that would improve due to our players learning more in the first year. What happend? If Maymon going down is the cause of this than we are more of a train wreck than I thought. There are several end of game situations that left you with a "WTF" moment and that falls back on coaching. Sure. If Golden dribbles the ball off his toe or it sails through the crowd, I understand. But jacking up ugly shots while the offense watches like they have glue on their feet doesn't cut it. You could make the case that Martin had his lunch eaten in several games against coaches that had no business. We play defense hard and look lost on offense. I don't know what his approach is in practice but it looks like he 90 defense / 10 offense so I hope he puts a little more thought about how he works our guys on offense.

8.) Yes. I love reading your post because your a realest so I appreciate a thread like this. Next years team is going to be extremely good. My faith in Martin has declined dramatically and I said from the beginning that he deserved a shot and I would back him 100%. 2 seasons later, 2 NITs and a whole bunch of games with me scratching my head has me on the defensive about his ability to lead us to elite status. This is no doubt the show me season and he better do something or pack his bags.

Last edited:
Simple Fact is that most of the cryers will never be happy with CCM because he is not Pear. Martin could win the whole tournament next year and the very first down year you would be screaming for his replacement. Jordan McRae went from all bust team to all SEC and Stokes is Mr Double Double and Martin hasn't done a good job?

Last thing as I head to work, It wasn't Martin that lost to Bama it was the five guys on the court. They know how to play against a zone now and still they just set at the three point line and ran St Pearl's 3 jack offense. That is just as much the failure of the players as it is the coach.

Reactions: 2 people
I feel like we just got yelled at by our dad......

However, i see that no one really listened just went to another room and picked up where we left off...haha...

Simple Fact is that most of the cryers will never be happy with CCM because he is not Pear. Martin could win the whole tournament next year and the very first down year you would be screaming for his replacement. Jordan McRae went from all bust team to all SEC and Stokes is Mr Double Double and Martin hasn't done a good job?

Last thing as I head to work, It wasn't Martin that lost to Bama it was the five guys on the court. They know how to play against a zone now and still they just set at the three point line and ran St Pearl's 3 jack offense. That is just as much the failure of the players as it is the coach.

Good post. The bandwagon fans and haters will never be happy.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back