Even the players are noticing

If the players and Martin are getting tired of the criticism them do something about it. I have been unable to watch a game for some time because of the inconsistency. You are are at a big time program so the criticism is going to be there. This team has underachieved and everyone knows it. Who is to blame? Well, it's not the fans, so it has to be coaching or a lack of player discipline. But when the coach and players call out the fans, then it's time for a change. Yes, the fans pay your salary and make it possible for the games to be played. We have a right to complain about the product you put on the court. Some complaints are asinine but some are legit. JMO.

You are not a fan. Ones like you want a bandwagon ride or you do not want to get on. Very sad.

Reactions: 4 people
No question the last five years the Vols have clearly established themselves as the worse fan base of any college team in the USA. The fan base most likely to run down their own coach.
I do believe it is a vocal minority though - from my perspective it started with the ride to fame that the idiot called Small Mike

Isn't Small Mike also known as the "Cattleman."

You are not a fan. Ones like you want a bandwagon ride or you do not want to get on. Very sad.

And why is he not a fan? Seems to me he is pointing out that this team has been very inconsistent this year, as well as the past two years. There is nothing wrong with pointing out flaws.

I also agree with him, if the players/coaches didn't want to be criticized for their play, then maybe they should've done a better job.

This is how I see it, I was listening to the Mizzou/UT game a few weeks back when UT lost, now UT was up and going into the final minutes of the game, but Mizzou went on a run and cut the lead to like 2 or one, turned the station cause of the way this team has played this year I knew they were going to lose.

That is what he's saying, you can't watch this team and not expect them to find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Reactions: 1 person
But aren't the expectations at those HISTORIC programs somewhat justified? You are talking about two of the top five or six (with Kansas, Duke, UCLA, and maybe Indiana) programs of all time not a program who has made ONE Elite Eight in its history.

If TN had even close to that historical success I could see the inflated expectations, but the expectations some of this fanbase has are preposterous IMO

GBO and Good luck tomorrow night!! :hi:

Well Stated. This has been my feeling as well. At this point, UT is not UNC, UK, or other historically winning basketball programs. In fact, almost no school achieves 'top-notch' status across both Football and Basketball. Instead, we're able to attract mostly leftovers after UK pick off the top recruits. These leftovers then, not surprisingly, deliver inconsistent results. Then what? Fahr Martin? I don't believe constant turnover of our coaches nor a pessimistic and sometimes belligerent fan base helps us join the elite. Support and consistency from the University and fans will help

We're in. Save the *****ing and moaning for the offseason. I haven't seen a UT tourney game in three years (I was working for the Michigan drubbing) and I am damn going to enjoy it.

Reactions: 4 people
I've been hard on CCM...but the fans need to give it a rest and get behind this team and enjoy a possible run. They complain about not being in the tourney and now they are complaining that we are in. Wait until the offseason to B**** and moan. Give the seniors some respect and get behind this team. GBO or GTFO!

/thread

They don't deserve it, but Cuonzo does. We have been soo inconsistent over the past three years and there is nothing that Coach Martin does that tells me that this trend will change.

Which Tennessee team will show up for the NCAA tournament? The team that fought Florida tooth and nail and beat Virginia by 35 or the one who got swept by Texas A&M?

Inconsistent play is all coaches fault and not players? Dumb post is dumb. If you have no idea what you are talking about could you at least post your clueless opinion in much smaller font size so we can skip right over it without reading it while scrolling through the thread. Thanks.

Reactions: 2 people
Call me stupid, I picked us to win through Duke then lose next game.

I don't think that is stupid at all.

Jabari Parker can ball, and he will be tough to stop, but we have the post advantage.

We need to get through Iowa first however :)

I don't think that is stupid at all.

Jabari Parker can ball, and he will be tough to stop, but we have the post advantage.

We need to get through Iowa first however :)

If we get through Duke, we can get Michigan too. Iowa first though like you said :rock:

If we get through Duke, we can get Michigan too. Iowa first though like you said :rock:

As a Michigan fan, I just don't see the Vols beating Michigan. I think Michigan runs their offense too well. Unlike Duke, they have more than just two options.

I will be cheering my ass off for Tennessee if that happens however.

Apparently, if you are for CCM as coach then you are a brilliant basketball mind and know what you're talking about...

If you're against CCM, But still for team, then you're an inbred, delusional know nothing about BBall moron...

Just bc some of us don't have our Orange Colored glasses on anymore with CCM, doesn't mean we don't know BBall. It simply means we are tired of his inability to coach his players up and his inability to make adjustments or draw up plays in game.

Also, just bc the team started to finally play the way we all expected this team to over the last 4-5 games of the regular season, albeit, against very very poor competition, doesn't mean that CCM is all of a sudden the answer to our BBall prayers...it means what the hek was going on the previous 95% of the reg season...

Yes we are in, Barely, with a team that many expected to be in the tourney with no lower than a 6 seed with the talent we have...now that CBP is gone and CCM is almost guaranteed to be back next year, we will really see what kind of Coach he is. The talent next year will be thin.

So, CCM deserves every bit of criticism we give him, but the team deserves our support...you can support the team and not the coach...and just bc we criticize the coach, doesn't mean we don't know BBall, just means we don't like BAD BBall...

Reactions: 5 people
I think S4Z said it best:

GO VOLS or GTFO.

How about GO VOLS and CCM GTFO

I know that I will cheer the team on Hell or Highwater, but I am still not on board with CCM taking us anywhere and I'll keep my big butt right here, not much y'all can do about it...

With that said, I hope CCM proves me blatantly wrong and makes me eat crow...it would be well worth it. GO VOLS!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Who reported this? Where is this coming from?

There was an article in the Chattanooga Times Free Press titled "Vols scoff at play-in skepticism."

It is talking about how a lot of people in the Tennessee fan base don't think we are actually in the tournament because it is a play-in game. A paragraph from the article says: "In continuing with the negativity that's swirled around third-year coach Cuonzo Martin and his program for most of the season, the notion that the Vols really aren't in the NCAA tournament yet has surfaced in Knoxville."

Here are some quotes from some of the players:

Jordan McRae - "It's how it always is with us. We do something, but it's not good enough. We beat somebody, but we didn't beat 'em how we're supposed to. We're in the tournament, but we're not in how we're supposed to be. It's just the Vols. The whole tournament thing, We're in but we're not in. I've never heard of that. You're either in or you're not."

Jeronne Maymon - "They called our name didn't they? That's all that matters. So we're going to go out there and get a win. There's always people that's going to doubt you, but you've gotta prove em wrong, so I guess this is a good opportunity for us.

Josh Richardson- "We've got a chance to win the national championship, so it's obviously the tournament."

Seems like some of the players do take note of what fans like us on Volnation say. The McRae quotes are especially telling.

Yes, I get that. But the games will still be played regardless of the fans, unlike what you said. The players and the team make it possible. The game will be played without fans, it won't without players.

Example: South Carolina and Auburn's arenas this year.

What do you bet Auburn's attendence does next year?

Look, if CCM is let go after making the tournement this year, who do you think we could get? I read on TOS that many coaches were telling CCM not to take this job 3 years ago. No proven coach who's even semi-happy would touch it this year. We're just going to have this play out, and see where we're at this time next year.

For all of you who want Bruce back, he's the one who gummed up the works himself. He doesn't try to cover up a secondary violation, asks parents to lie to the NCAA, lie to the NCAA and get his assistants to lie to them, we're not even having this conversation.

If you don't want CCM, fine, but Bruce is the one who caused him to be hired, and this is not the year to make another change. CCM is doing the best he can, but that's who was hired. Next time you spill hate toward CCM, think about what I just said.

Last edited:
What do you bet Auburn's attendence does next year?

Look, if CCM is let go after making the tournement this year, who do you think we could get? I read on TOS that many coaches were telling CCM not to take this job 3 years ago. No proven coach who's even semi-happy would touch it this year. We're just going to have this play out, and see where we're at this time next year.

For all of you who want Bruce back, he's the one who gummed up the works himself. He doesn't try to cover up a secondary violation, asks parents to lie to the NCAA, lie to the NCAA and get his assistants to lie to them, we're not even having this conversation.

If you don't want CCM, fine, but Bruce is the one who caused him to be hired, and this is not the year to make another change. CCM is doing the best he can, but that's who was hired. Next time you spill hate toward CCM, think about what I just said.

Are you accusing me of wanting Cuonzo fired? I'm one of the few on here who's been consistently wanting people to chill out and let the man work. If the AD decides to let him go after the season, I won't lose sleep. But as long as he's the coach, I'll continue supporting him and his players.

And if thats the case regarding other coaches, that makes me like the man even more because he actually jumped into this dumpster fire The Savior left despite being told otherwise.

Last edited:
Dear fellow contributers,

I am supporting the team and the coach. This team has had a meandering path, it is true, but steady improvement has been seen. Let us all get behind them all, support the coach, support the players, support the school...

Just sayin', Coach didn't replace John Wooden, really.

Go VOLS!

To all the fans who are still complaining,
PUT A LID ON IT.
WE ARE IN THE TOURNEY.
YOU GUYS WOULD NOT BE HAPPY IF WE WON 10 CHAMPIONSHIPS IN A ROLL!
You bunch of baby a.. premedonnas

They think Tennessee fans are bad? See what happens when expectations aren't met at Kentucky or UNC. It doesn't justify it, but it could be MUCH worse.[/QUOT

Kensucky lost 10 with the best recruiting class in history and they are not on the squids azz nearly as bad as the tards on here are on CCM.

P.S. NOT ONE OF YOU ARE .0001 THE MAN OR COACH HE IS,WOULDN'T MAKE A WART ON HIS AZZ!!!!! SO GIVE IT A REST.....

VN Store

Back