Establishing Roles

I'm tired of hearing cheap excuses from our team. How often does UConn play a game in which they are not motivated? Or don't know what they're doing? Or are confused on defense? Pretty much never. They come out every game and put the hammer down. We come out most games and dork around like some high school team. It is embarrassing--has been embarrassing for years. UT plays far too much ugly, bad basketball...and has for for YEARS, going back before PS retired and continuing through HW's tenure.

How many times since Warlick took over the program have we heard her cite a lack of effort or motivation by the team? A TON. Many, many times. Too many times. If players are unmotivated, then your first problem is the players who are not giving 100 percent. Those players should be benched--and stay on the bench until they are prepared to be motivated. Play walk-ons if you have to. This applies to everybody. That said, if you have a consistent problem with motivation, then there is a disconnect between the coach and the players. Either you've got player(s) with a bad attitude--or you have a coach that needs to be replaced. Lack of effort/motivation seems to be a consistent problem, and that means we have a serious problem with a specific player or two, or the coach, or both. Ultimately, the coach is responsible for motivating players--and HW doesn't seem to know how to do that.

All these players played together all last year! There is /no excuse/ for being confused on defense. So, defensively, we either can't defend--and there is some of that--or we're dumb, or lazy. I'd say all three apply. We've definitely had lazy defensive players in recent years. Massengale was lazy. Reynolds can be lazy on defense. DD can be lazy. Others. There is no excuse for it. Three-quarters effort = lazy. When you don't try to fight past picks, you're being lazy. You don't just let other teams put you in mismatches--and yet we do that quite often.

I agree with the original poster about Reynolds. She can and should be more aggressive on the court. She is capable of scoring more--and needs to. She's not a big scorer, of course, but she's capable of scoring more. And he could probably be a better leader, too. She has been underachieving for two years. Part of the problem with Reynolds and with everyone is that we're still terrible against a zone defense. Lack of movement, lack of confidence, lack of basketball IQ. We are not a good half-court offensive team and haven't been for, oh, 15 years. We are better playing up tempo--and should try to. The fact that we're not great defensively, and don't really have the depth to press other teams, makes it harder to play up-tempo, but we should try. If you have athletic players, you should always try to play up-tempo. When we are in slow tempo games, and teams are playing zone against us, we have problems.

I also agree with the OP about Nunn. She's probably playing out of position and simply isn't showing much right now. We should be starting either Dunbar or Jackson and not Nunn.

What the hell is Warlick talking about when she tells our players to "read the defense." That is a weird, unnecessary concept that probably results in confusion with our players. You read whether a team is playing man or zone, but that is pretty obvious and pretty basic. You make reads if you see mismatches--if you see that an opposing guard is now on Russell, then you try to take advantage and get the ball to Russell. You read defenders and whether they can guard you off the dribble or not. But that is all elementary basketball and should be instinctive--stuff you learn in 9th grade. So I find it a bit odd that Warlick is telling the team to "read the defense." These players have practiced together, what, scores of times. The should all have chemistry--and they should all have a fundamental understanding of the game. Too often, we don't. BB is a game in which, if you expect to win consistently, you must 1) play hard and 2) play smart--meaning play good, fundamental basketball. You need more than those two things--but those are the absolute starting points. We are deficient on both, so it's no wonder we lose games.

Very Well said! I agree with you 100% and so happy you said this! Unfortunately, some how another excuse while be made as to why you're wrong......

I get everyone frustration, but the reason I quit complaining is because if the administration is not bothered and feels like Holly is doing fine then it's just like beating a dead horse. I agree we have entirely to much talent to be struggling the way we do. It's sad to say, but I never feel confident going into any game. I was not shocked at all that we lost to Penn State it has become the norm. I'm not a coach and I don't know what the solution is. I will say the talent we have each year does not match what is being portrayed on the floor. Sorry to say, but I just don't see things changing and I don't see a FF with Holly as the HC. I hate to say it, but it is what it is. I just don't understand why we struggle so badly consistently. I'm hoping things change.

Reactions: 5 people
What the hell is Warlick talking about when she tells our players to "read the defense." That is a weird, unnecessary concept that probably results in confusion with our players. You read whether a team is playing man or zone, but that is pretty obvious and pretty basic. You make reads if you see mismatches--if you see that an opposing guard is now on Russell, then you try to take advantage and get the ball to Russell. You read defenders and whether they can guard you off the dribble or not. But that is all elementary basketball and should be instinctive--stuff you learn in 9th grade. So I find it a bit odd that Warlick is telling the team to "read the defense." These players have practiced together, what, scores of times. The should all have chemistry--and they should all have a fundamental understanding of the game. Too often, we don't. BB is a game in which, if you expect to win consistently, you must 1) play hard and 2) play smart--meaning play good, fundamental basketball. You need more than those two things--but those are the absolute starting points. We are deficient on both, so it's no wonder we lose games.

I believe the "read the defense" comes from the new offense that was installed. It's been referred to as a read and react offense. So her telling the players that is most likely a reminder to read the keys they've been teaching.

Reactions: 2 people
Tennessee got a lot of open shots against Penn State no one could make them. They must have read our defense as they got an open three anytime they wanted it and made 9 of 18.
This will be an almost identical game will Va. tech be able to knock down the threes while we can't make a shot of offense? Will the Tennessee defense be better? Who knows what will happen were a 7 point favorite that could win or lose by double digits.
Holly better not let them get a huge lead on us in the first half like Penn Sate did use timeouts if she has to need a win here another loss to a team were supposed to beat will put us in a bad situation early in the season.

Very Well said! I agree with you 100% and so happy you said this! Unfortunately, some how another excuse while be made as to why you're wrong......

There's a reason for the time honored "Gipper" speeches...Motivating your team so that they feel like they would have to bend down to touch the sky before a game...Instilling the belief they can turn a game around at half-time...Saying that group of thought out statements to individual players during the walk to the floor that you know, "turns on that switch"...

You do coach effort ,,, It is passion that cannot be taught.

Post of the Day -
A good read, indeed. Thanks armchair for your insightful common sense take on Tennessee Lady Vols basketball.

Post of the last 4 years because he hit the nail squarely on the head and drove it completely thru 2by 4.

Reactions: 1 person
I get everyone frustration, but the reason I quit complaining is because if the administration is not bothered and feels like Holly is doing fine then it's just like beating a dead horse. I agree we have entirely to much talent to be struggling the way we do. It's sad to say, but I never feel confident going into any game. I was not shocked at all that we lost to Penn State it has become the norm. I'm not a coach and I don't know what the solution is. I will say the talent we have each year does not match what is being portrayed on the floor. Sorry to say, but I just don't see things changing and I don't see a FF with Holly as the HC. I hate to say it, but it is what it is. I just don't understand why we struggle so badly consistently. I'm hoping things change.

I now go into every game expecting to lose .We should rejoice and savor every victory that comes our way because they will not be often.....hopefully 60 % of the time.

I believe the "read the defense" comes from the new offense that was installed. It's been referred to as a read and react offense. So her telling the players that is most likely a reminder to read the keys they've been teaching.

Have you noted a new offense ? I have completely missed it .

. . . What the hell is Warlick talking about when she tells our players to "read the defense." . . You read whether a team is playing man or zone, but that is pretty obvious and pretty basic. . . I find it a bit odd that Warlick is telling the team to "read the defense." ......

Agreed with most all of your post.
Especially this part.

Read and react is NOT a defined offense.
It is what is instilled in all levels from "UPWARDS" to the WNBA.

''''
Want to know where our "read and react" is...When players look to the bench, they need to see strength emitting from the one standing or squatting out front of the team. . . Because, what they see on the sideline is what they will bring to the court.

They Read and React to the demeanor of the head coach and reflect it on the floor.

There's a reason for the time honored "Gipper" speeches...Motivating your team so that they feel like they would have to bend down to touch the sky before a game...Instilling the belief they can turn a game around at half-time...Saying that group of thought out statements to individual players during the walk to the floor that you know, "turns on that switch"...

You do coach effort ,,, It is passion that cannot be taught.

During the NCAA S16 game against MD 3 years ago, Brenda Frese gave a helluva pre-game speech to her team to fire them up, and they played with intensity, fight and no fear while Tennessee played scared. That's the difference between a very good coach and a not-so-good coach.

The lack of effort and hustle isn't just on the players. If anything, it's more of a reflection of the coach than the players.

During the NCAA S16 game against MD 3 years ago, Brenda Frese gave a helluva pre-game speech to her team to fire them up, and they played with intensity, fight and no fear while Tennessee played scared. That's the difference between a very good coach and a not-so-good coach.

The lack of effort and hustle isn't just on the players. If anything, it's more of a reflection of the coach than the players.

I do not like Frese. I really do not like Frese.

I heard part of that speech...it was awesome.

And we did play scared:ermm:.

Is this the same game where an undersized Burdick and Graves banged all night against the big girls of MD and our All-American post player Izzy and Jones was out or was this the game where our outside shooting was atrocious and our best outside shooter the whole year, Ariel was out,along with Jones again?

Not arguing just trying to get clarification....also did anyone hear Holly's speech that game or are we just going off of Freese's speech and assuming Holly's speech was weak???

Reactions: 3 people
Is this the same game where an undersized Burdick and Graves banged all night against the big girls of MD and our All-American post player Izzy and Jones was out or was this the game where our outside shooting was atrocious and our best outside shooter the whole year, Ariel was out,along with Jones again?

Not arguing just trying to get clarification....also did anyone hear Holly's speech that game or are we just going off of Freese's speech and assuming Holly's speech was weak???

It was Alyssa Thomas' senior year when Tennessee was a #1 seed and MD was a #4. Ariel was out, but Tennessee had already adjusted to playing without her the whole SEC season, and beat SC in a great game a few weeks prior. Jasmine Jones played in this game. Meighan Simmons was really the only LV to show up for this game, but her 30+ points couldn't compensate for how scared the rest of the team played. I guess you could say the rest of their perimeter scoring was atrocious, but that's been their trademark for the last several years, so it shouldn't be a surprise. More than anything else, their usually reliable inside game was atrocious as well with Graves and Izzy failing to get anything going on offense, couldn't stop Thomas inside, and the MD guards had a field day scoring against thr Tennessee guards.

I recalled they showed both speeches before the game. Holly's was non descript. Brenda made sure her team played with a chip on their shoulder and all but demanded they go out and win that game. As far as pre game speeches go, that was the way to do it.

Last edited:
Not to change the subject, but Rutgers is 0-5.😱 Is this Stringer last season? I know it's hard to do, but I wonder when a coach realizes it's time to hang it up? Rutgers has continue to go downward.

Not to change the subject, but Rutgers is 0-5.�� Is this Stringer last season? I know it's hard to do, but I wonder when a coach realizes it's time to hang it up? Rutgers has continue to go downward.

Rutgers best player senior guard Tyler Scaife is out for the season with an injury. I believe she red-shirted. Sad news coach Vivian Stringer's mother passed away recently. Also, Rutgers has fallen on hard times in recruitment. Scaife was their last top 10 player going on 4 years now. Tennessee recruited her by the way.

A 0-5 start is probably the worse start of Coach Stringers tenure at Rutgers. It appears the writing is on the wall for the Scarlet Knights. Unless their 2016 recruit ESPN Hoopgurlz nr. 86 Jada Wright @ 6'2 will make a difference next season.

I'm saddened for hall of fame coach Stringer. Unless she turns things around quickly Rutgers will go the way of LaTech and Old Dominion.

Which brings me back to the topic. The Lady Vols mystique is out the window. No matter if they've reached the elite 8 a couple of times in the Warlick era. What coach Summitt built coach Warlick is dismantling it brick by brick. That's why I'm upset and others with the direction of the LV's under CHW guidance.

Rutgers best player senior guard Tyler Scaife is out for the season with an injury. I believe she red-shirted. Sad news coach Vivian Stringer's mother passed away recently. Also, Rutgers has fallen on hard times in recruitment. Scaife was their last top 10 player going on 4 years now. Tennessee recruited her by the way.

A 0-5 start is probably the worse start of Coach Stringers tenure at Rutgers. It appears the writing is on the wall for the Scarlet Knights. Unless their 2016 recruit ESPN Hoopgurlz nr. 86 Jada Wright @ 6'2 will make a difference next season.

I'm saddened for hall of fame coach Stringer. Unless she turns things around quickly Rutgers will go the way of LaTech and Old Dominion.

Which brings me back to the topic. The Lady Vols mystique is out the window. No matter if they've reached the elite 8 a couple of times in the Warlick era. What coach Summitt built coach Warlick is dismantling it brick by brick. That's why I'm upset and others with the direction of the LV's under CHW guidance.

Part of it also is that her Superiors didn't listen when she rejected her team (Rutgers as a whole) moving to the Big Ten. It is a move that should not have been made.

It is already hard for her to recruit at Rutgers because it isn't a big school per say and a lot of the talent locally rather leave the state/area than stay around. She lost out to several players who ended up at Temple, Maryland, GW, and Georgetown.

With Strife being out and her letting it be known before the season that it would be a rough one (they are a pretty young team and have lost 2 players to the WNBA last season).

I think she should be given at least 1 more season (especially with Strife out) this is the last year on her contract though so they could go another direction and should they choose so, Strife would probably be a grad transfer who would be eligible immediately.

If Rutgers didn't go to the BIG 10, what conference would of been best them? If I were in the BIG East I would hate Notre Dame. If they weren't so greedy and would of just joined a conference in football all this realignment wouldn't have been like musical chairs in my opinion. I think Texas has a part to play also. Greed and the love of money destroys people and relationships.

If Rutgers didn't go to the BIG 10, what conference would of been best them? If I were in the BIG East I would hate Notre Dame. If they weren't so greedy and would of just joined a conference in football all this realignment wouldn't have been like musical chairs in my opinion. I think Texas has a part to play also. Greed and the love of money destroys people and relationships.

She wanted to stay in the new Big East or Join the AAC. In either conference I think she would've been possibly top 3 in each conference

New Big East;
Depaul, Georgetown, Seton Hall and St. Johns who have been consistent on the women's side

AAC;
You have UConn, Temple, and USF who has been consistent on the women's side

she could easily keep her program in the top 3 of both of those leagues but in the Big 10 she has;

Maryland, Ohio State, Purdue, Michigan State, Northwestern, and Minnesota have all been successful the past few seasons which makes it tough.

VN Store

Back