ESPN reporting Tennessee is offering La. Tech's White

Saying the jury is out on Jones is bashing Butch?

No. But notice the difference in tone. Maybe "bash" was too harsh of a word. BTO's stance on Zo was optimistic and forgiving. His stance on Butch is critical and slightly pessimistic if you ask me.

Doesn't hesitate to bring up loss to Vandy in football but never brings up loss to Austin Peay.

Reactions: 2 people
Bash Butch?

Holy ****

Didn't say you were bashing Butch. Just think that Martin did less with more talent than Butch has had, and you were cleary in Martin's corner. Jones came in to a lesser talented roster with no depth and if he leaves tomorrow, the football program is in much better shape than when he got there.

Just don't see how the jury is still out on Jones when you argued so fervently about how good Martin was. Is the basketball program better after 3 years of Martin or is the football program better since Jones arrival? To me, there's no comparison.

Reactions: 1 person
No. But notice the difference in tone. Maybe "bash" was too harsh of a word. BTO's stance on Zo was optimistic and forgiving. His stance on Butch is critical and slightly pessimistic if you ask me.

Doesn't hesitate to bring up loss to Vandy in football but never brings up loss to Austin Peay.

Not trying to answer for BTO but my guess that has to do somewhat with how both were perceived. Jones is being a called a "home run" hire and is quite beloved, and Martin was being pushed out the door even after making a Sweet 16 run.

The situations are different of course, so it's not apples to oranges in any way, but I think it gets back to the fact many here have issues with the middle ground.

One more successful season at LT increases his future job potential much more than failing at UT. His luster is still bright at LT. Fail at UT and him feeling like he might get a quick trigger will result in his luster being dulled. Has nothing to do with staying at LT for life and you know it.

So getting ahead of the game on and up and comer was gonna cost some money? That caught Hart by surprise?

Not trying to answer for BTO but my guess that has to do somewhat with how both were perceived. Jones is being a called a "home run" hire and is quite beloved, and Martin was being pushed out the door even after making a Sweet 16 run.

The situations are different of course, so it's not apples to oranges in any way, but I think it gets back to the fact many here have issues with the middle ground.

Absolutely 100%

Absolutely 100%

Also factor in Jones is following maybe the worst football coach in UT history and while he initially had great acceptance, by the Kentucky loss had alienated many fans and certainly by the Missouri loss had lost almost all fan support. Jones' personality is also much better than Dooley's and there aren't really any stories of him being a jerk.

Martin had the opposite, he's following arguably the most popular and successful basketball coach in UT history. While Martin has a great reputation as a man, his personality was almost polar opposite of Pearl's.

also factor in jones is following maybe the worst football coach in the history of football and while he initially had great acceptance, by the kentucky loss had alienated many fans and certainly by the missouri loss had lost almost all fan support. Jones' personality is also much better than dooley's and there aren't really any stories of him being a jerk.

Martin had the opposite, he's following arguably the most popular and successful basketball coach in ut history. While martin has a great reputation as a man, his personality was almost polar opposite of pearl's.

fyp

Also factor in Jones is following maybe the worst football coach in UT history and while he initially had great acceptance, by the Kentucky loss had alienated many fans and certainly by the Missouri loss had lost almost all fan support. Jones' personality is also much better than Dooley's and there aren't really any stories of him being a jerk.

Martin had the opposite, he's following arguably the most popular and successful basketball coach in UT history. While Martin has a great reputation as a man, his personality was almost polar opposite of Pearl's.

Good points. Doesn't change the fact that BTO is critical of butch while defensive on Zo. I could argue that butch gave fans more to be positive about in year 1 than Zo showed in his tenure and surely more than he showed up until the last two weeks of his reign at UT.

I've said it several times on here... Fans make excuses for guys they think will/can win. They look for reasons to bash coaches who they think will fail.

For every single good thing Martin did here I can point to multiple things in his career that scream that the good thing was a fluke. Example: stokes, Hubbs were high level recruits Vs Reece Landry miller Yemi Washpun Q Edwards Armani (as pg). Not recruiting the Dre Matheui, Austin Nichols, never signing a consensus 4*, never signing a top 30 class.

Butch Jones= I'm inclined to have confidence in his track record, his recruiting. Add that to what he inherited and I'm happy with results thus far.

Do I think butch will win SEC here? I don't know. I have my doubts. But his track record coupled with what he's shown me is enough to get me on board. At worst, he will rebuild the roster which is first and foremost anyway:

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back