ESPN reporting Tennessee is offering La. Tech's White

People can finally realize now that Tennessee basketball is not a top 20 job...or top 30...or maybe even top 40. You've got facilities, but TBA holds noise as well as a desert. You've got money, but it's controlled by a man that literally no one likes and should've been removed from office some time ago.

The only thing holding UT back is UT.

Reactions: 1 person
Rob Lewis said that White wants a solid 4-5 year commitment that makes it difficult for either party to get out of.

UT is not willing to go to bat on such a deal.

Again: if Hart really believes White is his guy, then commit to him and stop being a fool.

There is nothing toxic just 2 sides not agreeing to terms. Think about it like buying a car - do you pay what the car dealer is asking? You have to be prepared to walk away if you feel like your not getting enough value for your money.

well now we are going to settle for a clunker

Discussions between Tennessee officials and Michael White that intensified over the weekend have cooled, and sources told CBSSports.com on Monday that the 37-year-old will now likely stay at Louisiana Tech barring an unexpected change of plans.

CBSSports.com first reported White's involvement with Tennessee on Saturday night, at which point a source said that UT had initially contacted some so-called "A-list" candidates to replace Cuonzo Martin, but that the interest wasn't mutual. Consequently, athletic director Dave Hart turned toward White, who spent the previous three years at Louisiana Tech. But a source told CBSSports.com that, after speaking with Tennessee officials, White is now leaning toward staying at Louisiana Tech, where his current contract gives him more longterm security than Tennessee seemed willing to provide.

Expect Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall to emerge as an alternative candidate.

Tyndall, 43, has recruited in the SEC as an assistant at LSU, worked in the state of Tennessee as an assistant at Middle Tennessee, flourished in the region as the head coach at Morehead State, and won just as many games (56) the past two seasons at Southern Miss as White has won in the past two seasons at Louisiana Tech. Furthermore, Tyndall is a big personality who has helped increase season-ticket sales at USM. He's twice inherited bad situations (not unlike the current situation at Tennessee), and both times turned things around quickly while winning at an unprecedented level relative to the program for which he was working.

pathetic

Rob Lewis said that White wants a solid 4-5 year commitment that makes it difficult for either party to get out of.

UT is not willing to go to bat on such a deal.

Exactly. White is willing to sign on long term, not try and bolt for Ole Miss, Hart isn't willing to do that. Why should White leave? He can wait another year and land a better job, that pays better, and that will give him that 4-5 year window.

Unless his money demands were way too high, I'm not sure what Hart expects. I doubt Tyndall is gonna come here on a 4 year deal that has no buyout after year 3.

Most will still bury their heads in the sand and claim that this is a top tier basketball program, but our program is still on the level that it should be a very desirable place for a coach like White. The problem is, we have a less than brilliant AD screwing this thing up.........presumably.

I don't think people are burying their heads as much as they are very frustrated. We're a program that CAN be great yet even after the Pearl years, the admin still doesn't seem to show the same commitment the fans do.

We have a great arena (a bit too big but still great), great facilities, and most importantly, unlike the majority of the SEC, we actually care about basketball. We're second to Kentucky in passion for the program, even more than Florida. For a football school, we show incredible support, especially considering outside of a few run of years, we've been mediocre historically.

Donnie Tyndall will be trashed upon hiring, which is completely unfair because he's a more proven coach than White. Made Morehead freaking State a good basketball program, recruited Kenneth Faried, 56 wins in two years at USM, etc.

Wait what...

a source told CBSSports.com that, after speaking with Tennessee officials, White is now leaning toward staying at Louisiana Tech, where his current contract gives him more longterm security than Tennessee seemed willing to provide.

Whites deal is $600k a year, with a $600k buyout right now. If Hart couldn't provide him with more long term security than that i give up.

I don't think people are burying their heads as much as they are very frustrated. We're a program that CAN be great yet even after the Pearl years, the admin still doesn't seem to show the same commitment the fans do.

We have a great arena (a bit too big but still great), great facilities, and most importantly, unlike the majority of the SEC, we actually care about basketball. We're second to Kentucky in passion for the program, even more than Florida. For a football school, we show incredible support, especially considering outside of a few run of years, we've been mediocre historically.

I agree wholeheartedly with you on this, but its especially hard to be a top program with you are near dead last in the money you spend on that program......in the SEC.

Butch wasn't Hart's 1st choice and that turned out okay. You can't bad mouth Hamilton for the ridiculous buy outs in his contracts then bad mouth Hart for not doing it.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree wholeheartedly with you on this, but its especially hard to be a top program with you are near dead last in the money you spend on that program......in the SEC.

Yep, and I'm afraid soon the fans are going to say "Screw it" and stop showing up, then the job will become even more toxic than it is (if that's possible). And the media will then claim UT fans don't care about basketball anymore.

Donnie Tyndall will be trashed upon hiring, which is completely unfair because he's a more proven coach than White. Made Morehead freaking State a good basketball program, recruited Kenneth Faried, 56 wins in two years at USM, etc.

Not sure he'll even come now. As BTO has said, I'm sure him and his agent have been paying attention to the White saga and he's in a similar situation next season.

Butch wasn't Hart's 1st choice and that turned out okay. You can't bad mouth Hamilton for the ridiculous buy outs in his contracts then bad mouth Hart for not doing it.

Did it? So far he hasn't proven he can get it done on the field, I'll hold off before declaring that a great hire.

Reactions: 2 people
In short, we about to overpay for a bad coach.............at least that's how I see this all playing out

Did it? So far he hasn't proven he can get it done on the field, I'll hold off before declaring that a great hire.

Not to get too off topic but I'm amazed at how many times I've seen that posted, about how great of a hire Jones was.

He may end up being so (and I believe he will) but there's no way in heck you can declare it that yet.

VN Store

Back