ESPN Profit Plummets As Network Turns Left

It's not even that ESPN is going left, its the fact that the vast majority of their journalists went to private universities or really high tier colleges for journalism and all journalism truly is is interpretting your thoughts and experiences into what you are seeing for others, same for asking people like Lebron James for their opinions. What is the black guy who grew up poor and is now a millionaire with no college degree going to say? It's not going to be in support of the system he feels kept his family down.

But further the guy who went to Northwestern and got a masters degree in English and Writing isn't going to agree with the average Florida or Georiga fan. The guy who went to the private all black college for his degree? Doubt Alabama or Mississippi will agree with him or vice versa. But the white guy who talks sex, drugs, and swears all the time and wrote an easy to read book about all the SEC stadiums? That's easy for the average person to get. Clay is writing articles like this to his fan base, the South. And it works because the average person, especially in the south where our education is far behind (or our private colleges are extremely liberal), is extremely uninformed on world topics.

But if you are going to Clay Travis, or ANY sportswriter or news reporter's personal articles for news, then you are asking for opinions you may not like.

Cord cutters, plain and simple. By dropping ESPN, these customers are dropping their cable package entirely. If you really think people are dropping cable entirely because ESPN went left, you're delusional.

Cord cutters, plain and simple. By dropping ESPN, these customers are dropping their cable package entirely. If you really think people are dropping cable entirely because ESPN went left, you're delusional.

This! I do believe Disney is definitely left of center, but folks that would believe it Disney's politics driving loss in subscribers are the same folks probably believed Trump's Birther fiction. And blindly trust in anything the current administration now dubs as "Fake News".

If Travis is saying that people are dropping ESPH because it's got political and left-leaning, then he's an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. First, where is the politics that I read espn is engaged in? I don't think there is much. ESPN is a 24-hour network. It needs cheap programming during the day when there are very few viewers. That's why it has gap fests and shouting shows. They have miniscule ratings--like nearly all shows on cable, all networks. If there is a little commentary here and there, it might be because the covers a lot of African American athletes, and they certainly don't share the same views as the average (uneducated) Trump/conservative voter. Nor do African American hosts. But, as I say, I think there is very little politics on ESPN. Nobody is dropping the network because of politics--that is Clay Travis with clay for a brain. People are dropping cable packages generally because they are expensive and they are watching shows on their computers--Netflix, Hula, etc.

If Travis is saying that people are dropping ESPH because it's got political and left-leaning, then he's an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. First, where is the politics that I read espn is engaged in? I don't think there is much. ESPN is a 24-hour network. It needs cheap programming during the day when there are very few viewers. That's why it has gap fests and shouting shows. They have miniscule ratings--like nearly all shows on cable, all networks. If there is a little commentary here and there, it might be because the covers a lot of African American athletes, and they certainly don't share the same views as the average (uneducated) Trump/conservative voter. Nor do African American hosts. But, as I say, I think there is very little politics on ESPN. Nobody is dropping the network because of politics--that is Clay Travis with clay for a brain. People are dropping cable packages generally because they are expensive and they are watching shows on their computers--Netflix, Hula, etc.

It's pretty obvious, especially after the Caitlyn Jenner award. The SJWs on that network (Bomani Jones, LeBatard, Kate Fagan, Jemele Hill, Michael Smith, etc.) and their coverage of stories generally inserts a social or political viewpoint every chance they can.

They especially love talking about political comments that athletes make because it allows them to air the opinion without doing it themselves ("we have to report on it because so-and-so said it").

Just as annoying as the political commentary is the pop culture commentary. If you are going to talk, talk about the games please. It's why I've stopped watching except for live sports.

Reactions: 3 people
ESPN has definitely become more political and it's definitely slanted left. Just last week Michael Smith tried to push that the whole Oakley thing was racism, which is beyond stupid. Doug Adler was fired from ESPN for saying that Serena Williams was using the "guerilla effect" and said he was being racist and called her a "gorilla". He's suing and I hope he wins big.

What's even worse is, even after the explanation, people say "Nah he's still wrong for using that term"....when he never used the term "gorilla". There's no way he should have been fired over this.

Reactions: 1 person
I haven't seen too much out and out political commentary (some). But I do think at least three things gave contributed. First, it seems to me that ESPN has been trading what they (mistakenly) think is gitchy commentary roundtables for, you know, actual sports.

If I want to see two guys yelling at each other about some minor issue on some irrelevant team, I'll just go to a sports bar and listen to random conversations. Otherwise, I want to see sports, not see people talking about sports.

Second, the rise of alternative sources of watching sports. 'nuff said.

Three, and I will take flack for this, it seems like there has been a concerted effort to increase the number of women commentators and reporters, and i don't think it is working like they hoped. Now this is not just an ESPN thing. Its Fox NFL, and every other sports network, as well.

Fact is, it is hard to put a lot of credibility into comments by a female reporter about her thoughts on two deep coverage, or safety blitzes, because they've never meaningfully played the game. I'd rather hear former players and coaches talk about that. Or a woman commentator going through stats about how effective an offensive line is -- I'm sorry, it doesn't work.

Agreed.

I really miss SportsCenter. Much of the same that applies to ESPN in a broad sense also applies to SC in a narrow sense. It reminds you of the adage "if it isn't broke, don't fix it".

ESPN was for MEN who watched football and couldn't get enough. Now they want us to watch men be women and women be men or some combination in the middle. After the Caitlyn Jenner BS I've quit watching unless UT is involved for the most part.

It's not just ESPN. There are 2 stories I saw today that is all you need to know.

The first is the NFL basically issuing a threat to the State of Texas over a bathroom law.

The second is the SI Swimsuit issue. After using Ashley Graham as a model, they kicked it up a notch with Hunter McGrady. And of course, the media is calling it a "breath of fresh air". The swimsuit issue has basically been all about physical beauty because no one honestly gives a damn about the swimsuit. But, since what is considered to be physically beautiful is politically incorrect and insensitive, we are going to b**ls**t ourselves by trying to redefine what is physically beautiful even though we know it's a lie.

At this rate, I expect Caitlyn Jenner in next year's SI Swimsuit issue. On the cover, I'm thinking Rosie O'Donnell or Melissa McCarthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

It can be some of the reason.

Does the $100 a month I save by cutting the cord, change my life? Not really.

But at some point you look at it say I don't want to pay $100 for this garbage that is not very entertaining.

It just isn't a good product. I've yet to even miss it or buy sling. There is too much good content on amazon, HBO, Netflix, etc.

Both are right.

People are cutting the cord because, other than games, they don't want to watch their political bull****.

Disney is a very left wing company. And colleges will see exactly how capitalist leftists can be when it's their money they are losing. Next tv contracts won't be pretty. The colleges better keep asses in seats.

Both are right.

People are cutting the cord because, other than games, they don't want to watch their political bull****.

Disney is a very left wing company. And colleges will see exactly how capitalist leftists can be when it's their money they are losing. Next tv contracts won't be pretty. The colleges better keep asses in seats.

It is interesting to watch this all shake out.

I believe Espn pAid too much for the current deal. Will be interesting to see what the contracts are going forward.

My Lord, we are so polarized that some cannot take watching anything that doesn't strictly align with their political views. Otherwise, it is guilty of being associated with the other side.There is a difference between human interest stories and liberalism. As a moderate, this crap drives me crazy.

ESPN is losing customers bc of the internet. They are adapting as a result and some will like the new content. Others do not. The obvious problem is the cost of cable, which will likely only increase thanks to the legislation Republicans are looking to introduce.

My Lord, we are so polarized that some cannot take watching anything that doesn't strictly align with their political views. Otherwise, it is guilty of being associated with the other side.There is a difference between human interest stories and liberalism. As a moderate, this crap drives me crazy.

ESPN is losing customers bc of the internet. They are adapting as a result and some will like the new content. Others do not. The obvious problem is the cost of cable, which will likely only increase thanks to the legislation Republicans are looking to introduce.

The best way to see the problem is reverse the situation and see how it would look to the other side.

One of the things that has driven me nuts as someone who is not a moderate are the numbers of people who are blind to the obvious political bent in coverage.

It pisses me off because I turn to sports to get away from that crap.

Caitlyn Jenner receiving the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at the ESPY's was clearly political. There are other blatant political messages made by ESPN.

And, yes, it pisses a lot of people off.

The reason many have not/did not cut the cord was live sports. Pretty much the only reason at this point.

America's most beloved sport is professional football. There is no close second. Do you want a list of all of the left leaning stuff the NFL has engaged in?

There is not a doubt in my mind that Colin Kaepernick being celebrated for taking a stand while the league denying the Dallas Cowboys request to wear a patch for police officers who were gunned down has a cumulative effect over time.

And that stuff has been going on for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

I can handle opposing views. Espn jumped the shark,so I said f them. It's sports, not the social commentary network.

And now Dish is charging an extra $7 per month for carrying local channels. I'm about done with the whole damn thing.

What 99 said...I agree.

ESPN has definitely become more political and it's definitely slanted left. Just last week Michael Smith tried to push that the whole Oakley thing was racism, which is beyond stupid. Doug Adler was fired from ESPN for saying that Serena Williams was using the "guerilla effect" and said he was being racist and called her a "gorilla". He's suing and I hope he wins big.

What's even worse is, even after the explanation, people say "Nah he's still wrong for using that term"....when he never used the term "gorilla". There's no way he should have been fired over this.

And what you said makes a lot of sense. And another thing. An employee on ESPN can make a political statement that favors the left, but if it favors the right, it calls for termination. Just ask Curt Schilling.

Reactions: 2 people
The best way to see the problem is reverse the situation and see how it would look to the other side.

There is not a doubt in my mind that Colin Kaepernick being celebrated for taking a stand while the league denying the Dallas Cowboys request to wear a patch for police officers who were gunned down has a cumulative effect over time.

And that stuff has been going on for years.

Except, CK was celebrated for taking a knee. And this is the problem with "the left" -- everything is taken in reverse / in opposition / opposite of good. Just look at it.

Talk about "reverse the situation" -- it's easily sumed up by the famous decathlete CJenner, who went entirely opposite of original design (what some refer to as "nature" / no, it's way more than "nature"), and this is what "they" celebrate . The purpose is to disrupt the original design of good (just look at the tower of Babel -- men who wanted to do things in opposition; yes, it's been going on for years -- just look at the garden of Eden for doing things totally contrary to what was said and planned / yep, believe it or not).

You just answered why ESPN is losing viewiers in the bolded. We aren't talking about CNN or MSNBC, this is a sports network that you are trying to defend while they shove political views down our throats. I don't want to see anything Democratic or Republican on there. I want to see sports, end of story.

While cord cutters are a percentage of it, the bigger percentage of the pie is people tired of that BS.

While cord cutters are a percentage of it, the bigger percentage of the pie is people tired of that BS.

This is simply not true. This is trying to spin the situation to reflect one's own political views.

I tend toward the Right on most issues. The stuff that ESPN is pushing doesn't appeal to me. So I just don't watch it. However, I'm not cutting the cord because I want the sports programming ESPN offers. It's really easy: I watch what I want and don't watch the rest.

If you are willing to drop ESPN entirely, which requires cutting the cord all together, then you don't value ANY of their programming, including the sports.

And what you said makes a lot of sense. And another thing. An employee on ESPN can make a political statement that favors the left, but if it favors the right, it calls for termination. Just ask Curt Schilling.

What got Schilling canned was bringing up Nazis in a meme about Islam. That's the third rail.

Even though it would pain them to do it, I if one of their liberal commentators did something like compare Trump to Nazis, they'd be canned too. Remember they canned Rob Parker for these over the top comments - this video is a great encapsulation of the idiotic "sports discussion" that fills the network now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGcnicDgSKg

As soon as the college season was over, that was it for ESPN and the rest of the channel surfing fodder. Once liberated, there's just no going back.

ESPN has shifted away from pure sports reporting and analysis, to more of a "reality TV" type drama reporting on sports. Now it's not enough to show highlights from last night's whatever game. Now it's the drama from tweets, player reaction, coach reaction and fan reaction that is more important to them. Forget LeBron's triple-double, let's talk about how he did or didn't fist bump someone after the game.

They (ESPN as a whole) intentionally stir up crap by getting the hosts of their various programs to say controversial things to create news and controversies. Stephen A Smith, Jason Whitlock, Skip Bayless, Colin Cowerd, and more just to name a few (I know some are not with the network anymore, but were when they made their name). There have been a few co-hosts or regular guests on some of their shows that have basically come out and said that ESPN wanted them to say controversial stuff to stir up crap. But, if they went too far they cut them out.

And they have (or is it "we" have as they keep airing the same things??) a love affair for five things:
1. LeBron - For every 1 minute they spend talking about LeBron's physical game, they spend 10 minutes on him, his "empire," his tweets, his comments, his attitude, his blah blah blah.
2. Tom Brady/Patriots - If he farts there is a 5 minute segment about it. And then some talking head claiming the Patriots may have benefited from Fartgate and the NFL should investigate.
3. Tiger Woods - they keep saying he's not relevant, while they give him a 5 minute segment with talking heads telling us he's not relevant...until he plays a round of golf in the Bob's Septic Tank Service pro-am where they analyze his round for 20 minutes.
4. NBA in general - ever since they got the TV rights they have done everything they can to move NBA to the headlines waaaayyyyy more than ever before.
5. NFL over analysis - is the 2020 NFL Mock Draft 17.0 out yet?

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back