ESPN Profit Plummets As Network Turns Left

Check out Clay Travis' articles on this stuff. He thinks it has more to do with the people just cutting cord for budgetary reasons. His take is you'll really see this hit the fan when ESPNs MNF contract is up for renewal in 2021 (I think). You gotta think the Mouse is noticing 11% drop in income. BLUF world is changing and the cable bundle will soon be a dinosaur. ESPN is going to have to change their business model. I guess when ESPN is extinct, then we can't blame losses on them "hating us".

Massive ESPN Financial, Subscriber Losses Drag Down Disney’s First-Quarter Sales - Breitbart

Check out Clay Travis' articles on this stuff. He thinks it has more to do with the people just cutting cord for budgetary reasons. His take is you'll really see this hit the fan when ESPNs MNF contract is up for renewal in 2021 (I think). You gotta think the Mouse is noticing 11% drop in income. BLUF world is changing and the cable bundle will soon be a dinosaur. ESPN is going to have to change their business model. I guess when ESPN is extinct, then we can't blame losses on them "hating us".

Massive ESPN Financial, Subscriber Losses Drag Down Disney’s First-Quarter Sales - Breitbart

Huh? His articles hardly focus on that at all. He keeps harping on them going left wing.

While I agree with him, he's running the risk of having his own backlash. He seems to talk non-stop about it now.

It would be a shame if ESPN went belly up or lost a ton of programming. We would have to go back to the dark days of TV when everything was free over the airwaves.

Reactions: 2 people
I always think he does this as justification for his own issues. easier to explain away a dwindling subscriber base for himself if the big dogs are feeling it too.

ESPN is definitely struggling. They kicked out Simmons, Bayless, Tirico, etc. They have definitely been focused on cutting costs but NFL/SEC/LHN contracts are expensive and not really negotiable. They have definitely integrated a "socially conscious" platform into the programming. It also doesn't help that the anchors suck. We were spoiled with Eisen, Steiner, Olbermann, etc. Now it's just bleh. Haven't watched sportscenter in years.

I haven't seen too much out and out political commentary (some). But I do think at least three things gave contributed. First, it seems to me that ESPN has been trading what they (mistakenly) think is gitchy commentary roundtables for, you know, actual sports.

If I want to see two guys yelling at each other about some minor issue on some irrelevant team, I'll just go to a sports bar and listen to random conversations. Otherwise, I want to see sports, not see people talking about sports.

Second, the rise of alternative sources of watching sports. 'nuff said.

Three, and I will take flack for this, it seems like there has been a concerted effort to increase the number of women commentators and reporters, and i don't think it is working like they hoped. Now this is not just an ESPN thing. Its Fox NFL, and every other sports network, as well.

Fact is, it is hard to put a lot of credibility into comments by a female reporter about her thoughts on two deep coverage, or safety blitzes, because they've never meaningfully played the game. I'd rather hear former players and coaches talk about that. Or a woman commentator going through stats about how effective an offensive line is -- I'm sorry, it doesn't work.

Reactions: 3 people
Huh? His articles hardly focus on that at all. He keeps harping on them going left wing.

While I agree with him, he's running the risk of having his own backlash. He seems to talk non-stop about it now.

Go back farther. He's been talking about this for a couple of years, only recently has he started to add in the political angle.

Go back farther. He's been talking about this for a couple of years, only recently has he started to add in the political angle.

Yeah but he's talking about it non stop now and never really mentions cord-cutting anymore, and that's because that affects his Fox Sports just as much.

I haven't seen too much out and out political commentary (some). But I do think at least three things gave contributed. First, it seems to me that ESPN has been trading what they (mistakenly) think is gitchy commentary roundtables for, you know, actual sports.

If I want to see two guys yelling at each other about some minor issue on some irrelevant team, I'll just go to a sports bar and listen to random conversations. Otherwise, I want to see sports, not see people talking about sports.

Three, and I will take flack for this, it seems like there has been a concerted effort to increase the number of women commentators and reporters, and i don't think it is working like they hoped. Now this is not just an ESPN thing. Its Fox NFL, and every other sports network, as well.

Fact is, it is hard to put a lot of credibility into comments by a female reporter about her thoughts on two deep coverage, or safety blitzes, because they've never meaningfully played the game. I'd rather hear former players and coaches talk about that. Or a woman commentator going through stats about how effective an offensive line is -- I'm sorry, it doesn't work.

Your best post ever. The executives have really screwed up with all the roundtables and trying to live off of tv personalities.

The woman part is correct also. Erin Andrews was awful at the super bowl. Just one case in point.

Reactions: 1 person
eh, i am with him on the Jenner thing, and the incessant need to shove the social injustice stories down your throat. it is there, and it is happening.

personally, i don't watch ESPN anymore except if there's an NFL game on monday night i want to watch (and there weren't but a copule i cared to see this past season) or a big college football game.

past that, if TN is playing college bball, i'll watch.

not a huge NBA or MLB fan, and i couldn't care less about the talking head shows. and sports center...is that even on anymore?

the sad thing is, i wouldn't cut ties completely with it b/c of the college football content. with so many games worthy of note aired on its networks, i'd be hard to just give it up all together. but there's very little, if any, content that i watch, other than occaisonal NFL monday night game, and college football/bball.

as for cutting ties with cable/satellite, i haven't yet, but i bought a roku a couple of years ago for when i travel, and i have Netflix....i'm about to the point where, w/the exception of ESPN/SEC Network college football content, i can cut ties with all of it, and go completely a la carte. i watch more crap on my ipad now anyway, and there's maybe 1 or 2 shows i watch consistently on any of the 3 major networks anymore.

everything else can be see via netflix, amazon, hbo now, or hulu etc... for about 1/3 of what i currently pay. ultimatley, i'll probably dumb down to the lowest cost direct tv package to include ESPN and SEC network, and do the rest on the internet.

but eventually, you'll be able to buy the ESPN content a la carte too. and then you'll see if there's any real validity to these claims. i'd stay away from subscriber info to support that in the meantime, and focus on ratings.

people definitely aren't watching like they used to.

More garbage from Clay Travis. They're losing viewers for a lot of reasons, but dragging politics into the mix is the moron reaching for something to write. If anything, ESPN has not really changed as much as the country is becoming more polarized and each side cannot stand to think they're getting the other sides view. Travis is as guilty of that as anyone. Twitter has been so much more bearable since unfollowing him.

I think he's right...to a point. He's also correct when he says that the average sports viewer isn't really liberal. They certainly aren't far-left. So it is a curious decision they have made.

The big thing he seems to miss in all of this is that people are cutting the cord altogether, not just leaving ESPN. It is a trend that is affecting cable TV generally.

There is no doubt ESPN absolutely has politically charged their coverage over the last several years. They do it in overt (Caitlyn Jenner) and subtle (repeating statements made by athletes, like LeBron and others, that are sympathetic to liberal causes) ways.

Reactions: 3 people
If you wanna know how to run a sports network, follow MLB Network. They have their **** together. They talk sports, they bring different commentators, they get into stats and strategy. There's only one show I don't like which is Intentional Talk and that's because Millar is goofy.

ESPN is definitely struggling. They kicked out Simmons, Bayless, Tirico, etc. They have definitely been focused on cutting costs but NFL/SEC/LHN contracts are expensive and not really negotiable. They have definitely integrated a "socially conscious" platform into the programming. It also doesn't help that the anchors suck. We were spoiled with Eisen, Steiner, Olbermann, etc. Now it's just bleh. Haven't watched sportscenter in years.

It is no coincidence that SportsCenter was at its best at the same time it was a necessary show. You used to have to watch a TV highlight show to see what all happened that day besides the game you were watching, or if you weren't in front of a TV on a particular night. I have fond memories of watching NFL Primetime every Sunday night with my dad, after the 4:00 game went off, so we could see who won all the rest of the games. There was no pulling it up on the computer, much less your phone.

SportsCenter, in that format, is a completely useless show today, which is why they have changed it to something I can only describe as a pseudo-sports, celebrity/pop culture discussion show. They are trying, unsuccessfully, to make it necessary and relevant again.

Last edited:
It is no coincidence that SportsCenter was at its best at the same time it was a necessary show. You used to have to watch a TV highlight show to see what all happened that day besides the game you were watching, or if you weren't in front of a TV on a particular night. I have fond memories of watching NFL Primetime every Sunday night with my dad, after the 4:00 game went off, so we could see who won all the rest of the games. There was no pulling it up on the computer, much less your phone.

SportsCenter, in that format, is a completely useless show today, which is why they have changed it to something I can only describe as a pseudo-sports, celebrity/pop culture discussion show. They are trying, unsuccessfully, to make it necessary and relevant again.
excellent points.:thumbsup:

Absolutely fantastic point.

Every team produces game highlights on twitter 30 minutes after the game ends. If I want to see Kyrie break someone's ankles it's in gif form in two minutes. If I want to see a great Odell Beckham TD oh wait I've seen it because RedZone showed it too me.

Absolutely fantastic point.

Every team produces game highlights on twitter 30 minutes after the game ends. If I want to see Kyrie break someone's ankles it's in gif form in two minutes. If I want to see a great Odell Beckham TD oh wait I've seen it because RedZone showed it too me.

Not only did you need SC for highlights, you needed it just to get final scores (unless you wanted to wait for the morning paper). You had to sit through the commercials to wait for the score of the game you wanted to see, it made minor celebrities of the SC anchors, etc. - they really were killing it in those days.

Their big shift towards debate and opinion is a direct response to there being no need to watch ESPN for news/information anymore.

Their political bent and the emphasis on pop culture, social media, etc I think is a result of them still trying to cater to their classic 18-35 demographic, which leans liberal. Even though sports fans, on balance, are not liberal.

When they set up a self-righteous camp over Peyton Manning and demanded he rehash a twenty year old issue, I was done with their talkingheadfest. I watch the possibly intriguing games and the occasional 30 for 30...nothing else.

Look how many people lost their minds on here regarding that issue? I made the comment several times that getting wound up over that issue was the worst case of delayed outrage I've ever seen. It was a 20 year old case.

Not only did you need SC for highlights, you needed it just to get final scores (unless you wanted to wait for the morning paper). You had to sit through the commercials to wait for the score of the game you wanted to see, it made minor celebrities of the SC anchors, etc. - they really were killing it in those days.

Their big shift towards debate and opinion is a direct response to there being no need to watch ESPN for news/information anymore.

Their political bent and the emphasis on pop culture, social media, etc I think is a result of them still trying to cater to their classic 18-35 demographic, which leans liberal. Even though sports fans, on balance, are not liberal.

I remember CNN used to show scores on the :07 and :57 (I think) and that's how you found out what was going on in the world of sports.

As someone who loves the Dan lebatard show and the right time with Bomani Jones, I will be the first to tell you that the network has a lot of voices that lean left. I will also say that among my group of friends, I am the only one that still has a cable/satellite. I am not that young either at 30. I think the latter has to be the biggest thing keeping ESPN up at night.

Here's the other thing, these personalities don't mean a whole lot. Live sporting events means a ton. More people will tune into a repeat of the PRO BOWL than a new episode of first take.

Last edited:

What he said...to the letter.

What I don't get is, isn't his Fox Sports 1 network losing just as much? The last I heard they weren't exactly setting the world on fire and show like Skip Bayless' are doing terrible in the ratings.

If Travis does anything, it's brag when he's right and the fact that he never brags about how awesome FS1 is doing tells me they aren't.

Think you're onto something here. This piece is meant to drive some viewers away from ESPN because Travis works for FS1.

That said, he's not completely wrong. ESPN has become "more political" in the past couple of years unfortunately. But I think it's a stretch to suggest that this is the "primary reason" they are bleeding subscriber numbers. It has more to do with the decline of cable TV / emergence of cable-lite bundles, etc. A lot of the people unsubscribing simply weren't into sports to begin with and now they have more entertainment options that don't require them to also purchase "sports content" (cable w/o sports, Netflix, Hulu, etc). So the political stuff is probably a bad business decision on ESPN's part, but it probably does more to hurt ad numbers for specific shows / events than to the overall subscriber numbers.

Overall subscriber numbers are falling b/c people who didn't watch sports to begin with are no longer paying for it.

VN Store

Back