ESPN Layoffs

The last day I watched ESPN was the day they paraded a tranny up on stage and gave him a courage award...

I agree that giving Bruce Jenner a courage award for getting implants and wearing a dress is ridiculous.

However, I'm way more bothered by the fact that any rational, clear-thinking person actually watches the ESPYS, let alone cares who wins.

Reactions: 3 people
Actually ESPN's demise has nothing to do with politics. Its all about how technology is changing industry. ESPN just couldn't adjust to the new era of streaming media over the internet. More and more people are cutting the cord and going total internet for the media needs. ESPN's built a business model on cable subscribers. They also overpaid mightly for the NBA and NFL.

They just made the mistake of thinking their business model would always stay the same.

Right you are. Amazing how many knee jerk neo-cons blame everything on liberalism. If they have a flat tire it's because of the damn liberal pavement. Give me a freakin' break. :post-4-1090547912:

For sports, I want to watch sports. That's it.

I do not want to watch characters advancing a storyline. If I did, I would watch WWE
I do not want to watch liberal politics. If I did, I would watch MSNBC
I do not want to be nauseous. If I did, I'd watch Fox News
I do not want to keep up with the Kartrashians. If I did, I would watch E!
I do not want to watch juvenile dialogue. If I did, I'd watch Nick Jr. or Disney Jr.
I do not want to listen to the same storylines over and over. If I did, I'd pay attention to the mother-in-law.
I do not want to be yelled out by Duke Vitale. If I wanted to lose my hearing, I'd stand next to a jet.

Reactions: 6 people
I'll have to admit. the BIG reason I don't watch ESPN anymore is BECAUSE of them shoving their goofy politics into sports. The last day I watched ESPN was the day they paraded a tranny up on stage and gave him a courage award instead of it going to Lauren Hill, the 19 year old girl that pushed through playing basketball while she battled inoperable brain cancer. I actually hate that %$*#ing network now.

You act like ESPN has never promoted any charitable causes. Does the Jimmy V Foundation/telethon ring a bell? Southerners are such goofs--always getting their undies in a knot for such little, inconsequential things. One has to chuckle. Oh, all the outrage over one transexual person! Better to send my hard-earned money to fraudulent christian preachers and evangelists! This whole discussion about espn's politics is the nonsense. People don't want to pay a lot of money for cable packages nowadays; they can watch the same crap online for less money. That's at the heart of this and not all the idiotic blather about politics from some on this board.

For sports, I want to watch sports. That's it.

I do not want to watch characters advancing a storyline. If I did, I would watch WWE
I do not want to watch liberal politics. If I did, I would watch MSNBC
I do not want to be nauseous. If I did, I'd watch Fox News
I do not want to keep up with the Kartrashians. If I did, I would watch E!
I do not want to watch juvenile dialogue. If I did, I'd watch Nick Jr. or Disney Jr.
I do not want to listen to the same storylines over and over. If I did, I'd pay attention to the mother-in-law.
I do not want to be yelled out by Duke Vitale. If I wanted to lose my hearing, I'd stand next to a jet.

Michelle Beade is kinda saucy

Reactions: 1 person
D4H,

While technology has definitely played a role in BSPN's decline, politics played a large role in the layoffs today. BSPN does a good job in broadcasting live sports; however, their other programming to push down Bristol's/Disney's political agenda through their use of characters has led people to cutting the cord. BSPN hired all of these extra people to do non-live sports broadcasting and people have turned away from it. This, in conjunction with technology, led to the layoffs today.

Oh the irony

Most of them are journalists/reporters who seem to be specific for 1 sport.

They might do what NFL does where they contract out people.

They can rehire them but basically like freelancers for lower pay.

Seeing where ESPN is laying off over 100 employees today, and noticed that one of them was Trent Dilfer. So...two questions immediately come up.

1) Does the Elite 11 competition end too?

2) Anyone see Dilfer becoming a part of a college staff? Could be plausible especially with the 10th coach rule. Would be an awesome thought to pick him up. Kids know him for sure.

Prayers for all of those who have been laid off. Anyone who has ever gone through it knows it's one of the toughest things possible. Results of the liberal media being liberal and losing at it. But sad. Real people with real families. Hope they all land on their feet.

Agree. And they'll remain in denial over why people don't watch their non-event programming. Because of their stand on the bathroom law... I avoid watching their network except for games.

Agree. And they'll remain in denial over why people don't watch their non-event programming. Because of their stand on the bathroom law... I avoid watching their network except for games.

They don't like the bathroom bill but they had no problem broadcasting the UNC-NC State basketball game or the Duke-UNC basketball game.

Seeing where ESPN is laying off over 100 employees today, and noticed that one of them was Trent Dilfer. So...two questions immediately come up.

1) Does the Elite 11 competition end too?

2) Anyone see Dilfer becoming a part of a college staff? Could be plausible especially with the 10th coach rule. Would be an awesome thought to pick him up. Kids know him for sure.

Prayers for all of those who have been laid off. Anyone who has ever gone through it knows it's one of the toughest things possible. Results of the liberal media being liberal and losing at it. But sad. Real people with real families. Hope they all land on their feet.

It depends who produces the Elite 11 show. The competition will probably still happen but being broadcasted? Who knows. Maybe FOX or CBS might pick it up.

People don't watch their non-event programming because it is irrelevant and obsolete, not because it is liberal.

It is liberal, but that isn't why they are watching.

You act like ESPN has never promoted any charitable causes. Does the Jimmy V Foundation/telethon ring a bell? Southerners are such goofs--always getting their undies in a knot for such little, inconsequential things. One has to chuckle. Oh, all the outrage over one transexual person! Better to send my hard-earned money to fraudulent christian preachers and evangelists! This whole discussion about espn's politics is the nonsense. People don't want to pay a lot of money for cable packages nowadays; they can watch the same crap online for less money. That's at the heart of this and not all the idiotic blather about politics from some on this board.

Have you posted a single thing on this site where you haven't said something critical of "Southerners?"

Reactions: 8 people
Actually ESPN's demise has nothing to do with politics. Its all about how technology is changing industry. ESPN just couldn't adjust to the new era of streaming media over the internet. More and more people are cutting the cord and going total internet for the media needs. ESPN's built a business model on cable subscribers. They also overpaid mightly for the NBA and NFL.

They just made the mistake of thinking their business model would always stay the same.

As did NASCAR. Expansion w/ meaningful content which is aligned w/ disruptive market change is ok. Expansion for the sake of expansion, or poor anticipation of changes, leads to layoffs and half empty racing venues.

Yeah, you really couldn't be more wrong. ESPN's downfall isn't bc of cord cutters. They are responsible for people turning away.

Bob Iger has the Machete out.. The new media of Facebook, Neflixs, Twitter.. ETC is crushing and redefining media and content..

ESPN needs to move out of expensive Bristol, Conn area to a more connected and lower cost of living city in the South like Nashville (Music City Recording Studio-some overlap), Charlotte (SECnetwork) or ATL (Huge Georgia film production assets and tax breaks). They need to share assets too.

If CNN were owned by ABC, I would say move in with those yahoos who also need to lay off a bunch of worthless reporters.

They might also want to revisit what they are showing. Outside of NFL and College Football, it mostly sucks. I really don't care about cricket, Euro soccer, and ping pong.

Also, some sports have gotten too boring to watch: too much stop and go with baseball and basketball nowadays (seasons are too long & would be nice to watch a game in 2 hours or less) and NASCAR has ruined their sport with too many cookie cutter tracks/car of tomorrow & it's replacement, etc.

Last edited:
From the list I've seen, it looks like they let go of a bunch of white male employees. List of about 50+, only 4 were POC.

Best one of the day by far is Danny Kanell getting it. That guy is the worst. He has kicked us while we were down so he can kick rocks.

I've been keeping track of the channels I watch. I watch:

IDHD...ALL THE FREAKING TIME..90% of my viewing

TBS... Al Bundy reruns in the morning.

Fox SunSports....Rays Games

PGA golf on the weekends

Showtime...Billions

HBO...Veep, Silicon Valley

FX....Americans...Fargo

Bravo....Southern Charm, Below Deck

Other than a show or 2 on the History Channel that's about it.

Surprised Ed Werder got let go.

I also like Len Elmore even if he wasn't the most exciting to listen to

100 manufacturing or construction workers get laid off and no one gives a ****. Let a $100k TV guy get the ax and it's the end of the world. This is the real world guys

100 manufacturing or construction workers get laid off and no one gives a ****. Let a $100k TV guy get the ax and it's the end of the world. This is the real world guys

As a percentage, 100 constructions workers is much smaller

MSESPN and they still don't get why they're failing. Fire the SJW's like Jemele Hill

Jemele Hill might be the worst TV personality on air right now. She's awful, and makes it impossible for me to watch the 6PM SC

I immediately turn to FS1 just to show that viewers go directly to the competitor when she is on air.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back