ESPN Layoffs

Eh. I like Fox's NFL content, but their college football coverage is inferior to ESPN's in every way imaginable.

agreed, and count me in the group that keeps it solely for the live sports content. there's not but a couple shows i may watch from time to time, generally all geared around college football content...CFB live, some recruiting etc...

but i don't even watch gameday anymore.......

i watch way more SEC network, which i know is ESPN...but with the SEC network, i find myself not caring what the mothership has on....and i would expect that to be regionally biased if a poll were taken.

what other avenues do you have to get ESPN if not thru a cable/satellite/internet provider? you think the majority that cut, are cutting it all, and just using Neftlix, hulu or amazon and an antennae for local channels? and just scrapping ESPN all together? i would have bet against that with services like Sling for $20/month...

A lot (most) of folks who are cutting the cord aren't concerned with keeping ESPN, or just about any other cable channel for that matter.

the ratings drop has been in the non live sports viewing. they have a lot of space to fill, lots of advertising slots to fill. their non live sports ratings are not good.

Ratings for stuff like First Take and Around the Horn have never been all that great, though there has been a notable drop in the past few years. But, ESPN was never living and dying by the ad revenue generated by those shows.

Sportscenter is a different animal, and the ratings drop there has been a significant issue, because those are primetime ad buys that are being lost. But I don't know what can be done for that. I haven't watched Sportscenter in years because my smartphone makes it irrelevant.

Reactions: 5 people
It is going to be interesting. The only thing that keeps the garbage channels on the air are the subscription fees that we pay for whether or not we watch them.

yep. advertisers will be the ones to let those networks know when the jig is up. when those checks stop coming, or they get a lot smaller, that's when it'll be time.

Reactions: 1 person
A lot (most) of folks who are cutting the cord aren't concerned with keeping ESPN, or just about any other cable channel for that matter.

Ratings for stuff like First Take and Around the Horn have never been all that great, though there has been a notable drop in the past few years. But, ESPN was never living and dying by the ad revenue generated by those shows.

Sportscenter is a different animal, and the ratings drop there has been a significant issue, because those are primetime ad buys that are being lost. But I don't know what can be done for that. I haven't watched Sportscenter in years because my smartphone makes it irrelevant.
agreed above, and as those shows continue to muddle around where the have been, if not a little lower, and SC drops, the cost of those other shows starts to add up, especially in a part of the year where live content is sparse.

that's where i think the crux of the issue is. SC is supposed to be steady cash flow, staple stock if you will, that can sustain itself and help pay for the other stuff.

i realize that cord cutting has had a negative impact. i just don't know that it's THE issue.

combine it with the above stuff we're talking about advertising wise, and certainly, it's not helping.

Most decent sports-loving Americans do not see Caitlyn Jenner as someone worthy of a courage award. There's your reason for the layoffs in a nutshell.

Reactions: 22 people
Saw a funny series of related tweets earlier.....

Paraphrasing:

Jamelle Hill (of ESPN): You people celebrating todays layoffs are sick. These are real people, with real families, etc......

Random Twitter guy: Don't you discuss, and opine, daily about which NBA and NFL coaches should be fired?

:lolabove:

Not that I like to see anyone lose their job, because I don't, however, that tweet by the random guy was a dagger, and the truth.

Jemele hill is awful

Reactions: 4 people
Remember, the talking heads at BSPN have no thoughts of their own. They are just characters playing a role pushing down the daily storylines set forth by Bristol. Stephen A. is just playing a role of the "race card" guy. BSPN isn't going to let that role go given their political leanings.

Stevie is ripped for not playing the race card and for playing it. His problems have nothing to do with his takes on racial issues.

I've mostly quit watching ESPN largely due to their continued pushing of politics and in general lousy product.

ESPN used to be on all the time at my house. If I was doing chores around the house I'd have ESPN on. If I was bored and channel surfing 90% of the time I'd end up on ESPN.

They've drifted far from what made them good. They're part of my directv package but now I only watch if a football/baseball game is on.

NFL ratings took a nasty tumble last year as well.

Too many non interesting matchups on prime time, and the Kaepernick fiasco.

Folks tuned out.

yeah, nobody expected that...but the schedule just wasn't great, and MNF...forget it. abysmal.

That's why they put the Redskins in 5 prime time NFL games this year. America demands it.

in reality, there's something to take from the NBA and MLB in that regard...now the NFL is smarter than that, and won't/shouldn't do it because they really don't have to, but from a network standpoint, there just are more nationally relevant teams that would garner better ratings any time they're on.

STeelers, Pats, Cowboys, NYG....all generally can move the needle, almost regardless of who they're playing.

no one outside their respective cities cares about, for example, Chicago vs. Buffalo on MNF. ESPN has to cringe when they see some of the games they're getting. "this is what we're paying for?":blink:

I have Direct TV. However, I suspended my account for 6 months. I suspend my subscription after the Super Bowl and it kicks back on right before football season. So in those 6 months without cable I save almost $1000. I came to the conclusion that I do not watch anything other than football. So I cut it every time football season ends and turn it back on before season starts.

I got the Amazon Firestick to hold me over till football season. I downloaded the KODI app and jailbreaked it to watch all movies and shows for free. Im a big fan of the UFC also but when fight night comes on or a PPV fight comes on I just go to a buddies to watch.

ESPN has become bad outside of live sports. Their political agenda IMO has really hurt them. And also all the talking heads every segment. I am old enough to form my own opinion. I don't need someone telling me or jading me to believe what they believe.

ESPN has miscalculated in doubling down on "hot take" personalities and laying off their actual journalists. For some reason, they can't see that although that was popular for a time, the average is viewer is becoming less and less interested in that.

Most football fans like us, want either a unique perspective or pure information. Honestly, the on the air personalities don't really add anything.

Reactions: 2 people
Most football fans like us, want either a unique perspective or pure information.

exactly, and the casual fan that ESPN has tried to pander to, has found other things to do with their time, or other avenues to get whatever content they want, when they want.

Haven't watched anything but live sporting events on espn for years. Guess I'm part of their problem! 😂😂😂
I hope that witch that yelled at the parking lot attendant and called her ugly got canned first!

exactly, and the casual fan that ESPN has tried to pander to, has found other things to do with their time, or other avenues to get whatever content they want, when they want.

Fans like us watch the individual sports networks, or just go local.

I'll have to admit. the BIG reason I don't watch ESPN anymore is BECAUSE of them shoving their goofy politics into sports. The last day I watched ESPN was the day they paraded a tranny up on stage and gave him a courage award instead of it going to Lauren Hill, the 19 year old girl that pushed through playing basketball while she battled inoperable brain cancer. I actually hate that %$*#ing network now.

Reactions: 14 people

VN Store

Back