ESPN FPI predicts Tennessee finish

Yea Mojo and fade, I'm on my phone and can't multi quote...

I didn't say he sucked or couldn't coach, I replied that I "thought" (key word) he was "meh" ....not because he hasn't won a National Championship at MSU, but because he's played a bunch of really good teams, including some that won National Championships, but lost more than he won against those and others that weren't as good.

I also said...we are going to find out.

Anyway

elnb.gif

Reactions: 1 person
I'd say that record is just about right. Every year, Tennessee does a phenomenal job of leaking hype videos, tweets, and all kinds of information about how great this player looks and that player is doing in fall camp. These "marketing" efforts get me so enthused and optimistic each year. I refuse to fall into that trap this year. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised rather than terribly disappointed again.

I remember Appy State. Nothing is a given, even the cupcakes as you call them. Without Hurd falling on a fumble in the endzone, we lose that game.

That is true but....
You also have to remember who the caretaker of TN football was at that time also....
New Sheriff in town now...things gonna be a lot different..
We will all be surprised what coaching can do for this team...
GBO

we win 8 games this year minimum...:clapping:

Florida getting to 9 wins is a joke. They will lose in Neyland on top of that.

I think people forget that they had a terrible record last year. I'm a fan of Mullen but they're in almost same boat as us. Except they have an easier schedule.

33-39 in Starkville playing in the toughest division in college football with every financial and recruiting advantage on the side of your rivals you play every year is near awesome.

Then why are we beating them in recruiting right now?

If he is so awesome, he should be top 15 already on Rivals 2019.

Seems we are already off to a better start than he is and we lost every SEC game last year.

Tennessee Vols football: ESPN FPI predicts every game in 2018

Though realistic.....If this happens I will be very disappointed. ESPN right on time to knock us down a peg or two 😋

How can you are anyone say this is realistic? if anyone has this power, please share the MegaMillion numbers, because that is about what all this prediction stuff is worth. It's amazing how everyone was sure UT would be ok last year, and they were not, and now with a "real" coaching staff and S&C coach.......no one, and I mean no one has the information on this team or coaches to predict this season's record. It just amazes me how just about anyone will bite into this false logic. I am not saying UT will go undefeated or win any games, what I am saying, let this team play first, I am convinced this team will play better than last year, what I don't know is the W-L record......and neither does anyone else and that goes for Bama, UGA, FLA etc..

Go Vols:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Reactions: 2 people
How can you are anyone say this is realistic? if anyone has this power, please share the MegaMillion numbers, because that is about what all this prediction stuff is worth. It's amazing how everyone was sure UT would be ok last year, and they were not, and now with a "real" coaching staff and S&C coach.......no one, and I mean no one has the information on this team or coaches to predict this season's record. It just amazes me how just about anyone will bite into this false logic. I am not saying UT will go undefeated or win any games, what I am saying, let this team play first, I am convinced this team will play better than last year, what I don't know is the W-L record......and neither does anyone else and that goes for Bama, UGA, FLA etc..

Go Vols:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Football isn’t a coin flip or a lottery draw. Factors play into these predictions mainly talent levels and historical performance. Our talent isn’t top level and our development has been dogsh1t for years. I’d like to prove them wrong but 5 or 6 wins is what we’re looking at now.

Football isn’t a coin flip or a lottery draw. Factors play into these predictions mainly talent levels and historical performance. Our talent isn’t top level and our development has been dogsh1t for years. I’d like to prove them wrong but 5 or 6 wins is what we’re looking at now.

I disagree, CJP has beat some of the best offenses in the country, say what you want about talent. Neither you or ESPN has any factors to base your W-L record on this team or coaches. I am trying not to be too rude, but predictions on unknowns is the same as crossing your fingers. My prediction..............better team, not sure if it will equal more wins. As for the other teams, again, you might have more factors. My "guess" we beat USC and Florida......just because we have a better staff. Managing a game has just as much to do with W-L as the physical aspects of the players........jmo.

Last edited:
Last year we did not have a QB that was ready to play (amoung other issues too) but pure and simple that gave our offense no chance. Guarantano is much better now than last year and I would say Keller is much more ready than Dormady was at start of season too. Not bashing Dormady at all but he had no playing time and Keller does and the wounded version of Dormady was just not going to cut it.

You and fade are so funny. If we had hired Dan Fawkin Mullen you two would have us winning 10 games going to Atlanta and being the first team to make the playoffs with 2 losses. Lmao.

:crazy:

Reactions: 3 people
The first game is critical. We win 7-8 wins maybe. We lose close we will see. We get blown out...oh boy.

FPI is not very meaningful before a season starts, in my opinion. It becomes progressively more meaningful within a season when it has data on how teams are actually performing. Before last season, FPI probably predicted 9 victories or so for UT (I can't remember the actual number). We know how that turned out. To predict a new coach's team based on the results of the last coach is dubious.

Guess you’re one of the noobs that thinks Mullen is meh because he never won a national championship in Starkville

I guess you’re just one of the people that like to argue just to argue. Mullen is in year 1 at a 4 win program just like Pruitt and has to come to Knoxville with no more talent than what we have. Now tell me how that’s a 4 game swing.

Florida will be better than last year but so will the Vols. Who knows. Wait till September. It’s Bama Clemson Ohio St Georgia and everybody else...

I'm still awaiting Orange Defense's remarks.
Hey! I talked to a Georgia fan from my work site the other day, and he tells me that his friends that are bulldog fans is worried about Pruitt. He says about 30 to 40% of bulldog fans are worried that Smart can’t beat Pruitt, but about 60% of them don’t worry. He had told some of them that don’t worry, that you better wake up and see what is happening with recruiting in Knoxville, and that the new spirit that they have. He and some of his friends believe that Pruitt is a smart head football coach, and his winning attitude is going to dominate over Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. He doesn’t think that Kirby can beat him. Him and his friends also thinks that, Pruitt will develop players far much better than any other coach in the SEC, and be right up there with Nick Saban. He thinks 10-2 as well for Tennessee this year. He also said that if Smart is going to beat the cold, it better be this year, because after that, Georgia and Florida will struggle against y’all. I’ve been saying it now for a while, I just don’t think Smart can beat Pruitt. I think we can beat them and Florida and go 10 and 2 this year.

The thing to remember is that these models are built on stats and results from last season. If you think we dramatically underperformed last season relative to our talent level due to poor coaching, then you'd also have to assume that this type of model underestimates our performance.

I don't expect any miracles this season, but I do think just having competent coaches will improve our win total by at least 2 games, if not more.

Seems we are already off to a better start than he is and we lost every SEC game last year.

It’s June

You and fade are so funny. If we had hired Dan Fawkin Mullen you two would have us winning 10 games going to Atlanta and being the first team to make the playoffs with 2 losses. Lmao.

:crazy:

So Pruitt is a better hire than Mullen?

I think people forget that they had a terrible record last year. I'm a fan of Mullen but they're in almost same boat as us. Except they have an easier schedule.

Florida was bad last year, we were bad last year, Florida beat us last year, like pretty much every year when we play. Hopefully Pruitt turns out to be the one coach in the last 40+ years who can beat Florida more than he loses to them. Although I feel optimistic about Pruitt being our coach, I’m not holding my breath.

People said the EXACT same thing about McElwain and his recruiting each of the last three years....were absolutely crowing about how much better our recruiting was, that Florida and McElwain sucked out loud and questioned would Mullen be able to recruit at a high enough level a few months ago......and then each year Florida finished with a higher rated recruiting class.

So Pruitt is a better hire than Mullen?

There is a good chance this wouldn't be a topic here today if we made Mullen our first choice instead of the bargain bin guy in Schiano (We waited too long and UF took advantage once Chip Kelly decided on UCLA)....

EDIT - We will know the answer in 3-4 years. I think the floor is higher with Mullen but there would have been a ceiling at UT for him. I think there could be a higher ceiling for Pruitt but the floor is much much lower.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back