Elzey Out!

I don’t understand why people think that star players will make great coaches. Parker is an all-time great, like MJ, but they often can’t teach that greatness others. They get overly frustrated that their players don’t have the abilities to make plays they would make. Great player to great coach is rare thing.

I don’t understand why people think that star players will make great coaches. Parker is an all-time great, like MJ, but they often can’t teach that greatness others. They get overly frustrated that their players don’t have the abilities to make plays they would make. Great player to great coach is rare thing.
Tomjanovich is the first to come to mind…

Reactions: Memvol44
Larry Bird...

Possible fresh face for Kellie's recruiting efforts?
An interesting question. Elzy is kind of an enigma, because she's both a great recruiter and a sub-par recruiter. She was let go by Holly for her recruiting misses, then she's the primary recruiter for Matthew Mitchell's best teams at UK. Then, recruits a pretty good roster for her own tenure. She is both a beloved coach by players and unpopular with them. The players that remained would go to war for her and are likely to transfer out without her there, but she was unable to hold on to her most talented recruits as they fled for parts afar. I think she's probably too polarizing to bring in at this point. No player that she has positive relationships with on the recruiting trail is someone that Tennessee needs right now.

At what school? Lawson has been at Duke 5 years, can't coach offense and finished 7th this year with a quarterfinal loss in the tournament.
This. I posted earlier this year that I loved Lawson as a player and also a commentator. She has an incredible mind and probably one of the most intelligent people overall in the sport.

That being said her name gets tossed around here a lot as someone who the LVs should have hired or should be looking to hire in place of Harper. The recruiting is better but the results on the court are pretty much the same. Lawson may yet turn out to be a fantastic coach as she continues to grow but I'm not sure why any LV fan would think she's an upgrade.

This. I posted earlier this year that I loved Lawson as a player and also a commentator. She has an incredible mind and probably one of the most intelligent people overall in the sport.

That being said her name gets tossed around here a lot as someone who the LVs should have hired or should be looking to hire in place of Harper. The recruiting is better but the results on the court are pretty much the same. Lawson may yet turn out to be a fantastic coach as she continues to grow but I'm not sure why any LV fan would think she's an upgrade.
Mostly agree, and I am in no way advocating for Lawson to be the LVs coach, but I will say she consistently has Duke playing some of the best defense in the country. They ranked #2 in defensive rating (per HHS) last year and #4 this year. She has improved their offensive ranking each year from #80 in 2021-22 to #68 last year to #54 this year (still much worse than what Kellie's done, which was #43 in 2021-22 to #11 last year and #18 this year). I agree that it's TBD if Kara will turn out to be a fantastic coach overall.

Mostly agree, and I am in no way advocating for Lawson to be the LVs coach, but I will say she consistently has Duke playing some of the best defense in the country. They ranked #2 in defensive rating (per HHS) last year and #4 this year. She has improved their offensive ranking each year from #80 in 2021-22 to #68 last year to #54 this year (still much worse than what Kellie's done, which was #43 in 2021-22 to #11 last year and #18 this year). I agree that it's TBD if Kara will turn out to be a fantastic coach overall.
Doesn't matter, the UT Board of Trustees wouldn't sign off on her after the way she handled her separation from the BOT when she was hired at Duke. I don't think the stakeholders on campus would be interested in her at this point anyway, but I think the BOT and some high-level donors would be tough to sell on the idea even if they were.

No way. Wouldn’t touch that with a 10’ pole. Also feel like she throws UT under the bus any chance she gets. I think she wanted the job when Kellie got it but she had no experience.

She hasn’t done anything to write home about at Duke if you ask me. Their offense is perennially awful, bring that to the SEC and you won’t win 3 games. You have to have offense AND defense in this league.
She was also employed with the Celtics at the time I think. With dreams of being an assistant coach there. I didn't think there was any interest from her...

No way. Wouldn’t touch that with a 10’ pole. Also feel like she throws UT under the bus any chance she gets. I think she wanted the job when Kellie got it but she had no experience.

She hasn’t done anything to write home about at Duke if you ask me. Their offense is perennially awful, bring that to the SEC and you won’t win 3 games. You have to have offense AND defense in this league.
She has dogged UT to potential recruits. Apparently she is salty she didn't get the head coach position. I think she has burned bridges.

Her stance vis-a-vis Edwards never made sense. She had nothing to gain from not signing the waiver. And, as you suggest, it very likely impacted her ability to attract and retain talented players.
Edwards, evidently, wasn't staying up on her academics. Elzy stated Edwards was approached and decided to move on to portal. Signing paperwork would be incorrect as she could have stayed n played.

Red to stay away from former players as coach that’s what has gotten us where we’re at need new blood

Reactions: Tnphil

Anybody who thinks we should hire ANOTHER former player after we've been in the women's BB wilderness for 12/13 years with two former players as coach needs a checkup. We'll not go that route again....

Anybody who thinks we should hire ANOTHER former player after we've been in the women's BB wilderness for 12/13 years with two former players as coach needs a checkup. We'll not go that route again....
Game has changed as well. Player loyalty and privileged mindset don't work together. Granted there are some who have been raised right and honor the commitment the university has made to them. Two way street with no alleys. Portal mania may work,but many looking for serving self too much. Rickea had to adjust,but she listened and I think Kelly was/is attempting to teach team concept versus a diva mentality.

VN Store

Back