Elzey Out!

Elzy seems like a good person who did her best but wasn't able to meet the expectations for the department. I believe she was also let go by HW after the season where the team landed only one recruit who wasn't up to standards.

I hope she lands on her feet wherever she winds up.

Elzy was over her head--that was obvious. The UT women's BB coaching tree is weak, it must be said.

Yeah just because you played for a great coach doesn’t make you one. Clearly.

Pat’s coaching tree lacks a lot to be desired.

My biggest hope was Nikki Fargas, I thought she did a phenomenal job at UCLA and was on the rise but she topped out at LSU and that was that.

Sadly we lost a couple last year that may have had the most potential.

Just proof that if UT does make a change it has to be outside the Lady Vol coaching tree.

The only person and I mean ONLY that I might be ok with seeing try is Candace and that’s only because I believe she has the personality, grit and discipline it takes. Even though she has never coached I’d be willing to give her a shot.

Possible fresh face for Kellie's recruiting efforts?

I'm sorry but no.

Part of her problem was she couldn't recruit. Rightly or wrongly, part of that problem was the Edwards situation. Her stance no matter how morally correct won't work in this era. Players get benefit of doubt. She won that battle but lost the war.

I'm sorry but no.

Part of her problem was she couldn't recruit. Rightly or wrongly, part of that problem was the Edwards situation. Her stance no matter how morally correct won't work in this era. Players get benefit of doubt. She won that battle but lost the war.
Not familiar with the Edwards situation. What happened?

Reactions: Smallvol#1
I'm sorry but no.

Her stance vis-a-vis Edwards never made sense. She had nothing to gain from not signing the waiver. And, as you suggest, it very likely impacted her ability to attract and retain talented players.

My biggest hope was Nikki Fargas, I thought she did a phenomenal job at UCLA and was on the rise but she topped out at LSU and that was that.

Just proof that if UT does make a change it has to be outside the Lady Vol coaching tree.

The only person and I mean ONLY that I might be ok with seeing try is Candace and that’s only because I believe she has the personality, grit and discipline it takes. Even though she has never coached I’d be willing to give her a shot.
Kara Lawson?

Kara Lawson?

No way. Wouldn’t touch that with a 10’ pole. Also feel like she throws UT under the bus any chance she gets. I think she wanted the job when Kellie got it but she had no experience.

She hasn’t done anything to write home about at Duke if you ask me. Their offense is perennially awful, bring that to the SEC and you won’t win 3 games. You have to have offense AND defense in this league.

No way. Wouldn’t touch that with a 10’ pole. Also feel like she throws UT under the bus any chance she gets. I think she wanted the job when Kellie got it but she had no experience.

She hasn’t done anything to write home about at Duke if you ask me. Their offense is perennially awful, bring that to the SEC and you won’t win 3 games. You have to have offense AND defense in this league.

Coaching may click for Kara one day, but she's not there yet. In 5 years or so she may be a great one, but I agree with you, not SEC ready at this point.

May not be true but we’ll see. This would be interesting.

Also, if we’re going to have a thread for this, let’s correct the spelling of her name.

I would go after this guy. Replays never seem to work, ask Johnny.

I think Pat's coaching tree has been as much a victim of the zeitgeist. We've seen a societal shift so that there just aren't as many talented girls who could thrive under Pat's coaching style, and what few there were have followed those 2-3 coaches.

So all Pat's coaching progeny had to take what they learned from Pat and adapt it to a different era's personalities and sensibilities.

Plus, there's such a treasure of personal knowledge that accumulates over decades of coaching that become the difference in winning a recruit, or bringing the best out of a player. There's no substitute for time and experience. I wonder if Pat's treasure was taken at just the age she would have become more intentional about mentoring another generation.

I think Pat's coaching tree has been as much a victim of the zeitgeist. We've seen a societal shift so that there just aren't as many talented girls who could thrive under Pat's coaching style, and what few there were have followed those 2-3 coaches.

So all Pat's coaching progeny had to take what they learned from Pat and adapt it to a different era's personalities and sensibilities.

Plus, there's such a treasure of personal knowledge that accumulates over decades of coaching that become the difference in winning a recruit, or bringing the best out of a player. There's no substitute for time and experience. I wonder if Pat's treasure was taken at just the age she would have become more intentional about mentoring another generation.
I think Pat was super focused on the players on the court/ off and retaining her staff, not so much on building a tree.

Wouldn’t mind Kara Lawson, or Parker, or Maybe both on same staff.

VN Store

Back