Electric Vehicles

Trump campaign responds in force after Biden cracks down on gas cars, Vows 'Day One' Reversal​

Trump called Biden's EV policy 'anti-jobs, anti-consumer and anti-American'​

In a statement to Fox News Digital, the Trump campaign said the climate regulations – unveiled by the White House and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on Wednesday – would force Americans to buy expensive electric vehicles (EV) and reduce consumer choice. The campaign further vowed that Trump would immediately strike down the regulations if he bests President Biden in their election rematch later this year.

Trump campaign responds in force after Biden cracks down on gas cars, Vows 'Day One' Reversal​

Trump called Biden's EV policy 'anti-jobs, anti-consumer and anti-American'​

In a statement to Fox News Digital, the Trump campaign said the climate regulations – unveiled by the White House and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on Wednesday – would force Americans to buy expensive electric vehicles (EV) and reduce consumer choice. The campaign further vowed that Trump would immediately strike down the regulations if he bests President Biden in their election rematch later this year.

Some people adopt policy with the long term in view. They respect the science and what the experts say.

Others, while dodging huge legal obligations based on their own terrible judgment for the entirety of their lives, beg for votes in a battleground state.

The Electric Car Fiasco​

Donald Trump’s anodyne if overexcited comment that the U.S. auto industry would face a “bloodbath” if he’s not elected and doesn’t impose 50% or 100% tariffs on cars produced predictable results.

“Don’t outsmart yourself,” Sen. Brian Schatz (D-HI) posted, and the Biden-Harris campaign promptly charged Trump with promising a “bloodbath” if he loses, without saying that he used a common metaphor and was talking about the auto industry.

That’s a subject Team Biden is understandably touchy about, given the conspicuous fiasco of its electric vehicle policies.

It’s summed up in a lengthy Wall Street Journal report on how a “dramatic societal shift to electric cars” had “overlooked an important constituency: the consumer.” Evidence is in plentiful supply.

Manufacturers have been cutting prices as dealers’ lots filled up with unsold electrics. Ford is halving its output of electric F-150 trucks in its Dearborn, Michigan, plant. General Motors dealers are pressing the company to reverse its strategy and cut EV production and build hybrids instead. Tesla CEO Elon Musk warned of “notably lower” EV production.

Expectations elsewhere went unmet. Hertz sold off 20,000 rental EVs at a loss of $245 million and fired its CEO, a Goldman Sachs alumnus. EV startup Fisker, which defaulted on $192 million in Obama administration loans, is reportedly preparing for bankruptcy. Apple is shutting down its multibillion-dollar electric car division.

“Plans for an EV-led industrial revolution are in full-scale retreat” in Britain, France, and Germany, the London-based Telegraph reported. “It looks like all those ‘well-paid green jobs’ are going to take a little longer to arrive than anyone anticipated.”

And irksome to charge. In the 1920s, the private sector built vast networks of gas stations capable of refueling a vehicle in five or 10 minutes. In the 2020s, the government has taken on the task of building electric charging stations, with predictable results. After more than two years, the $5 billion 2021 charging station program has produced exactly eight charging stations.

Going to look at the Lightning this weekend. Prices have dropped a bit and quite a few incentives avaliable.

Post up how it goes. My biggest concern is towing range since I have a boat and travel trailer, otherwise I would be looking now too.

Post up how it goes. My biggest concern is towing range since I have a boat and travel trailer, otherwise I would be looking now too.

Friend tows his big ass Malibu with his lightning. He says it tows it great but he’s only doing about a 10 mile round trip to the ramp and back.

Range is my issue with an EV truck, I have a 27’ boat and a 40’ 5th wheel that we’ll tow (wife pulls boat) 300+ miles 1 way. I don’t think there is an EV out there that could do any of that in a timely manner.

Friend tows his big ass Malibu with his lightning. He says it tows it great but he’s only doing about a 10 mile round trip to the ramp and back.

Range is my issue with an EV truck, I have a 27’ boat and a 40’ 5th wheel that we’ll tow (wife pulls boat) 300+ miles 1 way. I don’t think there is an EV out there that could do any of that in a timely manner.

99% of our camping is towing from Knox county to Townsend, Dandridge, Sevierville, etc. The boat tow to Norris is maybe 20 miles. The lightning ER battery could fit 95% of what I use my Ram for today…But at the same time I would hate to be limited if we ever had the itch to go further.

We drove round trip to Orlando for spring break last week. Charging the Tesla would have added 2-3 hours each way, so we took the truck.

99% of our camping is towing from Knox county to Townsend, Dandridge, Sevierville, etc. The boat tow to Norris is maybe 20 miles. The lightning ER battery could fit 95% of what I use my Ram for today…But at the same time I would hate to be limited if we ever had the itch to go further.

We drove round trip to Orlando for spring break last week. Charging the Tesla would have added 2-3 hours each way, so we took the truck.
Our Asheville trip became longer, as we decided to go to Atlanta to pick up our new pup Sunday. I went to Whole Foods and charged to 95% Sunday a.m. in about 30 min. Took back roads through the Nantahala to north Atlanta, got the pooch, then to Calhoun, where I charged at Bucee's to 80% in the time it took us to grab food and take in the spectacle of Bucees's on a Sunday in Spring Break.

Do you have to plan little for a longer trip? Yes. Is it that big a deal? Absolutely not.

Reactions: StarRaider
Some people adopt policy with the long term in view. They respect the science and what the experts say.

Others, while dodging huge legal obligations based on their own terrible judgment for the entirety of their lives, beg for votes in a battleground state.
there is no long term thinking when it comes to EV by Biden. at best he/his administration are being parrots passing off half truths.

EVs aren't nearly as sustainable as they are pledged to be.

Our infrastructure couldn't handle the mass EV's that Biden's admin wants. and even their plans to add charging stations wouldn't come close to providing enough charging station, if they were even building them in the first place.

-granted that is three+ months old so that may have changed by now.

his "long term thinking" also didn't accommodate other necessary shifts, including the requirements for service, safety concerns due to battery fires, and upgrades to the physical road system to hold up to the higher weights, I hope you like pot holes.

Reactions: StarRaider
I have a small trailer for random hauls but nothing like a boat or rv. Main issue I have would be the drive from FL to TN and seeing how hard that is. Really just curious how they drive

That policy should not force us into buying electric. Biden's policies are limiting our choices as a consumer. I don't like it when gov't limits my freedom of choice. I know liberals are generally OK with that. They feel gov't knows best and the ends justify the means. I don't feel that way

That policy should not force us into buying electric. Biden's policies are limiting our choices as a consumer. I don't like it when gov't limits my freedom of choice. I know liberals are generally OK with that. They feel gov't knows best and the ends justify the means. I don't feel that way

But you'd be okay with Trump imposing 100 % tariff on cars from Mexico? Does that not also limit choice ?

Fool me 100 times shame on me. Seems the "science & experts" are rather quiet on the severe damage to the environment mining and depleting rare earth minerals cause, and the horrid conditions the children work in mining those green battery metals.

Has science and experts yet revealed how those areas, devoid of the rare metals and minerals, will forever be dead earth.

But you'd be okay with Trump imposing 100 % tariff on cars from Mexico? Does that not also limit choice ?
Absolutely not. That's idiotic and it hurts Trump politically to say that. I'm a free trader

Now, back to my question, do you support Biden limiting our choices in car buying?

I hope you're feeling better. One thing with Covid, once you turn the corner, you recover quickly

Our Asheville trip became longer, as we decided to go to Atlanta to pick up our new pup Sunday. I went to Whole Foods and charged to 95% Sunday a.m. in about 30 min. Took back roads through the Nantahala to north Atlanta, got the pooch, then to Calhoun, where I charged at Bucee's to 80% in the time it took us to grab food and take in the spectacle of Bucees's on a Sunday in Spring Break.

Do you have to plan little for a longer trip? Yes. Is it that big a deal? Absolutely not.

Agreed to your point. Charging 1-2 times is no big deal, and we take the Tesla to Asheville all the time. I posted before about last year's trip to and from Miami. That many charging stops on a long trip with small kids really sucked. 250-275 miles between charges gives you a good chance to get up and stretch your legs, get food, bathroom break. But with those kids we had even more stops on top of the charges, and it turns into this snowball effect of lost time.

VN Store

Back