Ed Orgeron says TN tried to hire Matt Canada as Offensive Coordinator this year

Canada isn't installing an aerial attack, that doesn't work either. You will see the his Pitt offense from last year molded to LSU personnel, probably a little more up the gut running. Less predictable is the name of the game, not more passing yards, necessarily.

I like these comments...you don't have to throw the ball all over the field to win championships...

You do, however, need to be less predictable on offense, especially in short yardage situations and on the goal line. The stats you cite demonstrate that Canada knows how to do that well. He looks like a good hire for LSU...and would've been a good hire for us.

However, I don't think CBJ's offensive philosophy would've blended well with Canada...and that is our loss IMO....

CBJ has placed his career on Scott's abilities...I hope our Vols win at least 6 SEC games this year...time will tell....

Reactions: 1 person
I like these comments...you don't have to throw the ball all over the field to win championships...

If LSU had hired Chip Kelly, I would have checked out at that point. :)

I have no idea if Canada's scheme will work in the SEC over the whole year, I remain suspect that it will work like it did last year for him. With that said, he does adjust well, and he has said if something isn't working... he will scrap the whole thing. lol

If it doesn't go well, I would not be surprised by seeing all 3-4 quarterbacks being used in a game.

What was impressive about Pitt's offense was not necessarily the all the plays, but how easy they made things look in red zone and short yardage... they were very hard to defend... which in turn leads to TDs instead of FGs and 1st downs instead punts.

I remain suspect though. Time will tell, but I don't like LSU's chances if they are chucking around the field 40+ times a game.

Bumping this post because of comments by Orgeron last night, I don't think Tennessee would consider Canada but I wouldn't be surprised by some team - tier down or so. Orgeron just said that Canada has head coaching aspirations.....

The firing is the easy part, Tennessee will most likely have to look outside the box.

I would say Canada has somewhat proven some of the stuff he has developed can work in the SEC.

VN Store

Back