Ed Orgeron says TN tried to hire Matt Canada as Offensive Coordinator this year

Are you sure the author didn't just misunderstand what Orgeron said? He may have been asking where the fried pickles were.

Reactions: 2 people
He's getting questioned about the state of the offense. He's just trying to make it seem like he was a hot commodity.

He's getting questioned about the state of the offense. He's just trying to make it seem like he was a hot commodity.

I would think anyone that watched any football at all last year kind of knows that. It's like duhhhhhhhhhh, if you had to wait till the cookie monster said it... well, good luck. lol btw, we landed on the moon supposedly. lol

Coach O isn't going to be around for very long at LSU. I could be wrong but that was a terrible hire for HC. They must've really wanted Les Miles gone.

Coach O isn't going to be around for very long at LSU. I could be wrong but that was a terrible hire for HC. They must've really wanted Les Miles gone.

You might be right, but the plan isn't really for Coach O to do all the heavy lifting. In theory, it seems to make sense... pay him less, pay up for the top assistants all the other positions and pay consultants as well.

I am not saying Coach O is great or even good... but I can say he did a pretty good job last year and did a good job at USC as well. One or two seasons does not make a coach though, but I thought he made a lot of chances during the season which improved their play about as clear as night and day.

The other side of the coin, if not Coach O... other than Fisher, who was trying to use LSU as leverage, exactly who else out there was a homerun hire? Although, LSU made a run at Herman, he wanted to use it as leverage because he wanted to go to Texas.

Basically, anyone you name someone can punch a hole in the strategy very easily. Just saying. The theory is top notch assistants... why pay the HC so much for managing? Maybe not a superstar hire at this particular time... but as a strategy... I can't really see an alternative that was more appealing.

If I were to rate just the Coach O hire, I would probably give it a C- or D+ at best, but in the overall strategy of improving the whole program starting with the hiring of Aranda, then the hiring of Canada and all the special teams coach.... as an overall strategy... A/A+

You might be right, but the plan isn't really for Coach O to do all the heavy lifting. In theory, it seems to make sense... pay him less, pay up for the top assistants all the other positions and pay consultants as well.

I am not saying Coach O is great or even good... but I can say he did a pretty good job last year and did a good job at USC as well. One or two seasons does not make a coach though, but I thought he made a lot of chances during the season which improved their play about as clear as night and day.

The other side of the coin, if not Coach O... other than Fisher, who was trying to use LSU as leverage, exactly who else out there was a homerun hire? Although, LSU made a run at Herman, he wanted to use it as leverage because he wanted to go to Texas.

Basically, anyone you name someone can punch a hole in the strategy very easily. Just saying. The theory is top notch assistants... why pay the HC so much for managing? Maybe not a superstar hire at this particular time... but as a strategy... I can't really see an alternative that was more appealing.

If I were to rate just the Coach O hire, I would probably give it a C- or D+ at best, but in the overall strategy of improving the whole program starting with the hiring of Aranda, then the hiring of Canada and all the special teams coach.... as an overall strategy... A/A+

That was Tennessee's logic in hiring Kiffin.

I thought the end of the Florida game was mishandled and his record at Ole Miss speaks for itself... I would also have concerns about whether or not he would run a clean program... but if LSU fans are comfortable with that - cool.

That was Tennessee's logic in hiring Kiffin.

I thought the end of the Florida game was mishandled and his record at Ole Miss speaks for itself... I would also have concerns about whether or not he would run a clean program... but if LSU fans are comfortable with that - cool.

The Florida game was kind of a let down, I think that was the only blemish on Coach O for last year, if anything, as I think LSU was capable of doing much better. Going 6-2 and 4-2 in the West is no easy task, let alone during a coaching change.

Maybe he will fail, I don't know. lol But you know, its now more about the team now than one coach or one or two players. I think that is kind of refreshing.

If they lose some games, which I suspect they will..... play good and have fun like last year... last year was actually really fun to watch after Les left.

Oh, I am sure not all LSU fans are happy.... some fans never will be. I thought last year was a successful year i.e. they were fun to watch again.

Reactions: 1 person

That is precisely why I say they must've reeeeeally wanted Miles gone to fire him when the pool of available head coaches was so weak.

That is precisely why I say they must've reeeeeally wanted Miles gone to fire him when the pool of available head coaches was so weak.

Well, I doubt any year there is a homerun, its very competitive, as I am sure you have noticed. LSU's former AD was saying how the Saban hire was a wild chance in 1999 in an interview earlier in the year.

Nothing really stands out as far as Saban or Miles when they were hired, matter of fact, their records were just okay to good.

Nothing special about this on the surface.
34–24–1 (23–16–1) Saban's record (conference)

28–21 (16–16) Mile's record (conference)

Saban finished 5th, 5th, 6th, and 6th in the Big10 at MS his first 4 years barely .500... he tied for 2nd with a 9-2 his last year.

I would think anyone that watched any football at all last year kind of knows that. It's like duhhhhhhhhhh, if you had to wait till the cookie monster said it... well, good luck. lol btw, we landed on the moon supposedly. lol

Well ya know common sense ain't too common

Matt may have made the right choice because there's a decent chance he will be HC of LSU by years end. LSU will majorly regress under O this season mark my word.

I won't be surprised at all if Orgeron has success at LSU. He's had enough time/chances now to put it all together and LSU is the one place where he just sorta makes sense. It's a good great fit.

I won't be surprised at all if Orgeron has success at LSU. He's had enough time/chances now to put it all together and LSU is the one place where he just sorta makes sense. It's a good great fit.

Possible that the loser of UTK/LSU is not coaching in the SEC in 2018.

I'm pretty sure we wanted Canada but somehow Butch couldn't get him because Butch didn't want to give up "his offensive philosophy".

I can't believe you would make a statement like this. I hope you are a troll, if not ... Enough said!
:loco::thud:

If true (big if) you wonder if maybe Butch is changing the offense some. Larry Scott has a pro style background.

Well, your personel changes from year to year so you have to adjust what you do to those players strengths and weaknesses. Even if Scott has a pro style background, I don't think they have been recruiting for a pro style offense. But if we hear a LB is going to play RB and he is build like a Mike Alstott? Then, we might start looking for that to happen.

I have degrees from Tennessee, where I was born and raised ... but also one from LSU. I have lived in Baton Rouge since 1983 (how in the hell did that happen!) and work amongst LSU fans. It p's me off that LSU gets national love (13th? Based on what?) and Vols are regarded as chopped liver.

The Vols are my team, period. But with Orgeron there, I hope LSU wins em all except for our game. Despite what Orgeron did alongside Kiffin, I like him as LSU coach so much more than that mealy-mouthed yankee Miles.

Possible that the loser of UTK/LSU is not coaching in the SEC in 2018.

So, if LSU losses, you are predicting LSU will have on salary three head coaches for 2018? And at least 3 for the next 5+ years?

Now, I not saying this isn't a possibility, but it doesn't seem very likely. Unless there is some "just cause" that goes beyond W-Ls that seem kind of unlikely at least for a few years. Most of the blame will be directed at Aranda and or Canada as they are being paid near head coach salaries.

Fake news to serve as a smokescreen that LSU doesn't have a passing game again.

I doubt LSU drastically changes their pass to run ratio much, Pitt didn't really pass more than LSU last year. If anything, just more plays in a game which pad the stats, slight increase in yards per pass is more the goal than anything.

Canada isn't installing an aerial attack, that doesn't work either. You will see the his Pitt offense from last year molded to LSU personnel, probably a little more up the gut running. Less predictable is the name of the game, not more passing yards, necessarily.

2016 (LSU played one less game)
LSU (298 att) (171 comp)
Pitt (324att) (189 comp)

Pitt actually passed less than LSU on a percentage bases, Pitt passed 37.4% of the time, LSU 38.6%, and that includes all their forward pitch plays.

But Pitt was more successful in getting Td, so their efficiency was much higher, Pitt #13 in the country, LSU #65. LSU has to increase their percentage about 5%, and be less predictable. Drastically more passing, no way. More efficiency and actually maybe more running by LSU than last year on a ratio basis. Also, the Pitt stats are counting their inside pitches as pass plays, most of those are really just run plays, depending on your POV.

Canada only job is to get a few more first downs, or score tds instead of fgs against 2-4 of the tougher teams. I don't see what Canada is attempting to do as some new thing, he is just combining a bunch of things and see what works and doesn't... I am suspect everything he did at Pitt works in the SEC over the whole year... so it comes down to adjustments. I remain suspect until Bama.

Last edited:
Canada's work with Pitt's offense and Peterman was exceptional....

I think Scott's work as interim HC at Miami was exceptional, too...looking forward to seeing what he can get done as our OC...

GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back