Drive Club (PS4)

Videos look cool, but I've got next to no interest in an arcade type racer. Without a deep tuning mode I often feel like I'm still playing prettied up versions of Rad Racer.

Driveclub Final Build game play trailer

I'll say this, this may be the most gorgeous looking racer I've ever seen! It's going to be interesting to compare the visuals of Driveclub to Project CARS.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl8e0iSqNNU[/youtube]

DriveClub--5-claves.gif

DriveClub--5-claves3.gif

ibyJiMKFb0ZH7p.gif

Last edited:
Too bad dynamic weather will not be in the game at launch. Sucks that it is getting patched in... who knows when that will be.

Too bad dynamic weather will not be in the game at launch. Sucks that it is getting patched in... who knows when that will be.

Hopefully it won't be too long.

I talked to a guy last night who has an early copy. He was streaming it on Twitch. He said he loves the game and said it looks and plays beautifully. He said if he were going to give it a grade he'd score it an 8/10. He deducts a point for it not having any mechanical customization (something I don't even care about anyway. I'm not a gear head and I'd rather be spending my time racing instead of tinkering with the mechanics) and a point for it not having weather and photo mode at launch. However he said once they implement weather and photo mode he'd probably add back a point to make it a 9/10.

He also said the AI can be challenging as hell. He said there's no rubber banding and cars really do behave similarly to if you were playing against real people.

I plan on playing the free Plus version until they get the weather and photo modes patched in. Then I'll buy. Not paying for a game that's incomplete.

Last edited:
Hopefully it won't be too long.

I talked to a guy last night who has an early copy. He was streaming it on Twitch. He said he loves the game and said it looks and plays beautifully. He said if he were going to give it a grade he'd score it an 8/10. He deducts a point for it not having any mechanical customization (something I don't even care about anyway. I'm not gear head and I'd rather be spending my time racing instead of tinkering with the mechanics) and a point for it not having weather and photo mode at launch. However he said once they implement weather and photo mode he'd probably add back a point to make it a 9/10.

He also said the AI can be challenging as hell. He said there's no rubber banding and cars really do behave similarly to if you were playing against real people.

I plan on playing the free Plus version until they get the weather and photo modes patched in. Then I'll buy. Not paying for a game that's incomplete.

I will download the PS+ version for sure but I will not buy just because I am loving Forza Horizon 2 and it's open world gameplay. I do think Driveclub is on the right track.

Damn, check out the sunshine to rainy weather transition! :blink:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqsOg6XS9TQ[/youtube]

Appears to have the typical launch issues, I don't know that I'll get anything on release day for the forseeable future

This is one of the worst launches.

Yep! Complete "amatuer hour" on Evolution Studios part. Why the hell didn't they do an open beta test for this game? When online conncectivity with other players is your game's biggest selling point, why on earth would you not beta test it?

PS Plus free version has been delayed until they get their servers fixed. Hopefully things will be fixed by then. I'm not dropping a dime on this game until I get a chance to try it out and see if the've truly fixed everything. I made that mistake already with Battlefield 4.

Reactions: 1 person
Yep! Complete "amatuer hour" on Evolution Studios part. Why the hell didn't they do an open beta test for this game? When online conncectivity with other players is your game's biggest selling point, why on earth would you not beta test it?

PS Plus free version has been delayed until they get their servers fixed. Hopefully things will be fixed by then. I'm not dropping a dime on this game until I get a chance to try it out and see if the've truly fixed everything. I made that mistake already with Battlefield 4.

Agreed, made that mistake with BF4 also. Like you said, when basically all of your important parts of the game revolve around online connectivity how can you not beta test it? I love playing games online but there have been so many screw ups in the gaming industry lately when it comes to online items.

beta is no guarantee. correct me if i am wrong, but didn't bf4 have a beta?

pretty disappointing here tho. i was really looking forward to this.

beta is no guarantee. correct me if i am wrong, but didn't bf4 have a beta?

pretty disappointing here tho. i was really looking forward to this.

BF4 did not on PS4 and Xbox One (could have on PS3/Xbox 360, not sure). Battlefield Hardline had a beta. It was not that good and I am assuming that is why they pushed back the release date.

it couldn't have a beta on ps4 or x1 because neither were released at that time. i am sure there was a beta for ps3 and 360 though. not sure how or if that could have translated to the ps4 or x1 version though, as far as trouble shooting. were the problems bf4 had limited to next gen?

So I finally caved and bought the digital version of this game. I'm really glad I did because it's fun!

Online is still a work in progress but last night I logged in and played 3 online races with no problems whatsoever. Everything went silky smooth and it didn't take all that long to connect and start racing. To Evolution's credit, they do seem to be working around the clock to improve online. Yes it was a terrible screw up on their part but what's done is done. All they can do now is try to rectify their screw up, which they are obviously doing. I'm getting tired of the internet loud-mouth's who constanty ***** and moan about this game. It's getting better! If Evolution had simply washed their hands of this game and said "tough ****" then I could understand the continuous berating. But this game is finally at a point now where it works pretty damn good and they are still working to make it better. It's a shame that so many have already written it off because this game is the tits and it's only going to get better. Is it perfect? No but I do believe that once they get the online completely fixed, add in the dynamic weather, replay mode, photo mode, and do a little tweaking here and balancing there, this game will completely kick ass!

Graphically, it simply has no equal. It's as close to photo real as I've ever seen in a racing game! The more I play it, the more little subtle details I can pick out. The lighting is incredible too.

Handling IMO is awesome! To me it's pretty damn near the perfect balance between arcade and simulation. I LOVE the handling. It's tight and responsive without your car feeling like it's stuck to the track like Velcro. Drifting is a challenge but man, once you nail it it's so rewarding!

The A.I. in this game is tough. This game really makes you earn everything you get and I'm fine with that. One thing that always bored me with Gran Turismo was that essentially every race boiled down to you acquiring either the right car or the right amount of upgrades to your existing car that would allow you to blow right by the opponents. Not in this game! This game it's all about learning the tracks and developing skill! Every race feels intense and sometimes, even finishing 3rd or 4th feels rewarding. Plus I've never been a gear head so the lack of being able to set my car up doesn't bother me one bit!

My biggest gripe with the game so far is that it doesn't have a racing line. Instead, it uses different colored trackside flags to let the user know how tight a corner is (green, yellow, and red). While this works OK, sometimes when you're racing under certain times of day and certain lighting conditions it's hard to see what color they are. I hope Evolution decides to patch in a racing line at some point. It would go a long way in making tracks less of a challenge to get around.

thanks for the review Brave - I'm on the fence with this one; glad to read stuff that isn't butt hurt pissing and whining.

Need for Speed did nothing for me. Is this at least better than that?

I've heard there aren't many American cars to choose from. Is this true?

Kinda bummed to hear about the lack of tweaking - this kinda stuff is cat nip for gamers who understand mods and tweaks in real automotive performance applications. It's a game in and of itself.

thanks for the review Brave - I'm on the fence with this one; glad to read stuff that isn't butt hurt pissing and whining.

Kinda bummed to hear about the lack of tweaking - this kinda stuff is cat nip for gamers who understand mods and tweaks in real automotive performance applications. It's a game in and of itself.
Agree on the tweaking, I really enjoy balancing the cars for various tracks, pushing limits etc. On Forza I'd spend as much time running hot laps and adjusting as I would racing.

Yeah unfortunately right now it's all European cars. No American muscle, no Japanese though car and track packs are coming. Some will be free, some will be paid I'm sure. Still, 50 cars to start with is nothing to sneeze at and there are some good ones in there. After all you can only race with one car at a time right?

As for the lack of tweaking, meh that stuff never interested me. I'd rather actually be racing than fiddling with car settings. One of my favorite features in Forza 5 was instead of wasting time individually setting up every component, the game would allow you to do a "mass" set up where if you had the cash you could tell it to automatically optimize every component in one fell swoop. In Driveclub, all the cars are already optimized and it boils down to learning the tracks and developing your skill. One thing is for sure, when it comes to difficulty this game is no joke! It makes you earn everything you get, especially when you reach the Semi-Pro difficulty level. It's a bi_ch but it's very rewarding!

Last edited:
got this for christmas. the dynamic weather is definitely a trip. i'm liking it so far.

VN Store

Back