Doug Mathews' thoughts on Team 121....

Saw some comments on Bain earlier in the thread. Dude looked huge when he accepted his award. Would love the success story of him getting meaningful snaps.

It is really good to hear about the OL. We've been a man or two down there for several years. If Richmond can finally arrive at the potential we thought he had when he signed, then Trey Smith, plus the other linemen we will have back next year, it should be a much improved line! No more running for 120 yards against the like of App St, Ohio, etc.
If you asked me to give you one Tennessee drive of all time, it would be the drive against Arkansas after Stoerner fumbled and we took the ball and ran it right down their throat to win the game and the natty, that's Tennessee football!

Reactions: 4 people
Haven' seen much about Jack Jones - Have I missed something. He has usually held his own - no matter who he has been matched up against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNHopeful505 View Post
Pretty certain it's pointing to the D4H quote stating Richmond was a dud.

Richmond was downright terrible last year. I was watching the Missouri game again a few days aho to see how great Josh was in his home finale and couldn't get over how bad Richmond looked. Charles Harris made him look like a child on every snap tossing him to the side. We had to have a RB chip him every play or we had to run away from his direction.

Good for Drew if he's improved. But I'll believe it when I see it. Based on what I saw last year he'll be lucky to be more than a depth player.

Best endorsement the kid could possibly get, right there .

Future star in the making.

Reactions: 1 person
"strength of the team will be the offensive line"...that blows me away...haven't heard that statement in...I don't remember...:)

GO VOLS!

people areso quickto forget that the offensiveline a couple years ago Of James Tiny Fulton Stone and Thomas was very good

Reactions: 2 people
"strength of the team will be the offensive line"...that blows me away...haven't heard that statement in...I don't remember...:)

GO VOLS!

Yes, but is that good news or bad news? The offensive line has been so atrocious for so long that it's a little scary to suddenly hear that they are the strength of the team.

Richmond was never as bad as he was made out to be on here. Had the roster been in shape he should have worked into it as a G for a year or so before being moved to T like they will probably do with Trey.

Do you understand anything about Oline?
That's a slap in the face to guards. Richmond was soft and lacked strength. Playing guard is just as, if not more, physical. Different skill set.

Reactions: 2 people
I looked at the current roster and we have about 50% of our Offensive line from the state of Tennessee.

I have NO idea what that means. It was just interesting.

I looked at the current roster and we have about 50% of our Offensive line from the state of Tennessee.

The way the state is producing OL we may soon have 5 starters from Tennessse. Tennessee HS football talent is impressive.

GO VOLS!

But we are young every where else.:thud:if the QB plays ,out it will be same old stuff wait till next year because we are young this year:thud:.

Best Oline we had was probably Butch's first year, with Tiny, Stone, Fulton, Bullard, Ju'Wuan James. That was a pretty stud OL. It's been patchwork at best since then, after Dooley skipped a year.

Good OL for passing...seems like I remember this veteran group, highly praised, didn't really check the boxes on physical running game. From the looks of QD he gets the ball out quick, and if can balance w/ physical running game, which is a necessity to roll this year, this OL will be highly regarded...and we'll end up "being better than the experts think"

About 50% of the entire team is from Tennessee. It's not just the OLine.

Lot of talent coming out of the state of Tennessee these days.

If he starts over Smith, Hall or Jones, it'll be proof we have a weak minded loser as our HC.

How much time have you spend at the complex working with the OL? Must be a lot to be so knowledgeable. Hopefully the next time you are there Jones will offer you that new 10th coach spot to help Wells we need top notch guys like you in the program.

Reactions: 3 people
How much time have you spend at the complex working with the OL? Must be a lot to be so knowledgeable. Hopefully the next time you are there Jones will offer you that new 10th coach spot to help Wells we need top notch guys like you in the program.

No, the Jedi coaches on VN can use the Force. They can just feel it when one player is better than another. No visual analysis is needed.

VN Store

Back