Double Cuonzo's Pay

He got more out of our talent than anyone reasonably could expect. Yes, we have had 2-3 great players, but no depth. If we're at the same talent level in 3 years, which is doubtful, then perhaps you look at why.

But this guy has class, knows how to coach Defense -- which wins games and doesn't require as much talent -- and is respected because he was a fine player and now is a player's coach.

Only at UT would let going for perfect (which we're not getting) get in the way of something perfectly good and that's getting better.

Fail. $2.6 million could get you a helluva coach (i.e. A Smart/Marshall type).

Reactions: 1 person
So,....you have a good 2-week run (some would say expected run) in the weakest bracket of the NCAA and you reward the guy by doubling his pay?

(in my best Italian voice) "....only in A-mer-e-ka...."

Read much? The Midwest was the strongest bracket by far. That's why it was won by an 8 seed.

No; lets triple his pay with the condition that we go to the Final Four every year.

Yea, this is a much better idea.

It's rich to see anonymous posters here debating whether a university they don't own should give CCM a raise of 250,000, 500,000 or .67 cents. As if there's some index that UT must follow and as if it money coming out of their pockets. Get over yourselves!

What we have now, which we haven't had in any sport for years (LadyVols excluded), is momentum. To make the most of that, you keep the HC and lock him in with a nice raise and performance bonuses, and give the guy a platform to build on the momentum.

What's rich is that you started the debate about what we should pay the coach by suggesting that we double his salary. I gathered your index was times two or 100%.

I don't agree with doubling his salary but I really wish people would quit acting like UT got to choose their opponents. I'm sure Duke loved our weak bracket.

Cuonzo was a questionable call away from equaling the best run by a UT team ever. Belittling that does nothing positive for UT basketball. Stick to the rest of his time here if you want to make a real point

No one is acting like UT got to choose their opponent - they played in a tournament. So, lets keep on point if we can. BTW - I've never posted one negative word about CCM or the team.

The point was "doubling his salary" sparky-moderator. "Belittling"? Really? Did you happen to think that maybe UT got that far in the tournament b/c of the SOB (strength of bracket)?

You'll need to translate your last sentence "Stick to the rest of his time here if you want to make a real point". Are you speaking futuristically? Ok,...so CCM is going to do great things next year (is that what you want?)

If you want to talk about questionable calls (and you're starting to sound like a CCM homer), we could do that in any sport, in any league and in any country. That's not an excuse.

No one is acting like UT got to choose their opponent - they played in a tournament. So, lets keep on point if we can. BTW - I've never posted one negative word about CCM or the team.

The point was "doubling his salary" sparky-moderator. "Belittling"? Really? Did you happen to think that maybe UT got that far in the tournament b/c of the SOB (strength of bracket)?

You'll need to translate your last sentence "Stick to the rest of his time here if you want to make a real point". Are you speaking futuristically? Ok,...so CCM is going to do great things next year (is that what you want?)

If you want to talk about questionable calls (and you're starting to sound like a CCM homer), we could do that in any sport, in any league and in any country. That's not an excuse.

I'm in no way a Martin homer so keep your cute little accusations to yourself. I am simply able to appreciate the run they went on late in the season and view the sweet 16 as a success. If you enjoy taking shots at that then so be it. UT was playing great basketball for those 2 weeks and would have taken out a lot of teams no matter their seed.

I'm also sorry you couldn't understand my last sentence. I'm sure it was simple enough to read for most but I can translate if you wish. He's been at UT for 3 years so there is enough to critique without attempting to take shots at a good tournament run this season.

(last sentence was typed slowly to try and help you out)

I also never made an excuse for anything. It is true that UT was a questionable call and a couple of FTs away from an E8 game vs UK.

Let me get this straight. We beat the #1 D team (UVA) by 35, make a run at the end to finish 4th in the SEC, win 3 games in the NCAA (the same # as Michigan), we have Stokes and Richardson coming back as Srs., and we just let the guy go? Or worse, force him out?

Idiocy. No way our Athletic Department and Boosters are that stupid.

To compare our 3 wins to michigan's is nothing short of idiotic.

Yeah, Cuonzo hasn't been bad, but he's not worth $2.5M-$3M at this point.

Also, our boosters tried to sabotage Martin's recruiting efforts during the middle of the season. I wouldn't trust our boosters to do anything right.

Can you elaborate on this or where can I read about it?

i went to look it up.

at the time of selection sunday.....

iowa had an rpi of 55.
umass had an rpi of 21.
mercer had an rpi of 83.

VN Store

Back