Double Cuonzo's Pay

He got more out of our talent than anyone reasonably could expect. Yes, we have had 2-3 great players, but no depth. If we're at the same talent level in 3 years, which is doubtful, then perhaps you look at why.

But this guy has class, knows how to coach Defense -- which wins games and doesn't require as much talent -- and is respected because he was a fine player and now is a player's coach.

Only at UT would let going for perfect (which we're not getting) get in the way of something perfectly good and that's getting better.

I don't know about doubling it, but he should get a nice raise. He's 3rd in the SEC in winning percentage since he got here but he's the 11th highest paid, something just doesn't add up

Ben Howland
Lawrence Frank
Scott Skiles

And those aren't even currently employed college coaches.

Nobody is going to want to coach for UT after the way these sorry azz boosters did their dirty work & sorry azz 36,000 fans signed that petition to bring back Bruce(during the season) Especially when the highly respected Counzo Martin took his team to the sweet 16 & nearly beat Michigan to advance to the Elite 8.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't ever want to be a head coach. If you lose it's because you can't coach and if you win and get 3 games deep into the tournament it's because you played lousy teams. I guess the glass is always half empty for some people.

He got more out of our talent than anyone reasonably could expect. Yes, we have had 2-3 great players, but no depth. If we're at the same talent level in 3 years, which is doubtful, then perhaps you look at why.

But this guy has class, knows how to coach Defense -- which wins games and doesn't require as much talent -- and is respected because he was a fine player and now is a player's coach.

Only at UT would let going for perfect (which we're not getting) get in the way of something perfectly good and that's getting better.

you've lost your mind, and so has Hart if he doubles his pay. Do you get a pay raise for being average in your job?

Martin IS a player's coach--and IMO player's coaches don't win. Demanding, this-is-what-I-want coaches win. Look at the most successful college coaches: 90 percent of them are intense, demanding, detail-oriented guys--izzo, calhoun, pitino, k, etc., etc. Warlick is a player's coach too--and a disaster on the women's side.

So,....you have a good 2-week run (some would say expected run) in the weakest bracket of the NCAA and you reward the guy by doubling his pay?

(in my best Italian voice) "....only in A-mer-e-ka...."

So,....you have a good 2-week run (some would say expected run) in the weakest bracket of the NCAA and you reward the guy by doubling his pay?

(in my best Italian voice) "....only in A-mer-e-ka...."

I don't agree with doubling his salary but I really wish people would quit acting like UT got to choose their opponents. I'm sure Duke loved our weak bracket.

Cuonzo was a questionable call away from equaling the best run by a UT team ever. Belittling that does nothing positive for UT basketball. Stick to the rest of his time here if you want to make a real point

Reactions: 2 people

I would hope that the administration has learned their lesson on giving over inflated pay raises when they haven't been earned, i.e. the last few years of the CPF era.

CCM has indeed earned a raise for THIS year. However, look at the overall body of work for a 4 year period.

1) It was a charge. 2) It was a stupidly designed play to begin with...giving your PF the ball that far from the basket with 10 secs left....that's idiocy. 3) We were also 1 pt from losing the play-in game that a team with this roster had no business being in.

Some perspective is needed. And yes, it was Umass and Mercer. Don't lose your minds, people.

It's not that they beat those teams, it's that UT was a bad call/flop from the E8, after an heroic comeback vs. a very good team...a team that was in the Finals a year ago. We should have been proud of the confidence our guys showed at the most critical moments. This carries over from year to year if you keep the same system and can add some talent.

Why do people keep obsessing over a close loss to Michigan but ignore that we came within a point of losing a play-in game that this roster had no business being in in the first place? Big picture, people.

I don't agree with doubling his salary but I really wish people would quit acting like UT got to choose their opponents. I'm sure Duke loved our weak bracket.

Cuonzo was a questionable call away from equaling the best run by a UT team ever. Belittling that does nothing positive for UT basketball. Stick to the rest of his time here if you want to make a real point

Coming from the guy with such adamant Dooley hate, he could've fueled the entire "anti-Dooley" train himself. You, of all people, should know how that's such a poor argument.

If you are referring to me, as a Dooley hater, you sir are a LIAR.

Until the Missouri loss in Year 3, I supported him here and on other boards.

If you are referring to me, as a Dooley hater, you sir are a LIAR.

Until the Missouri loss in Year 3, I supported him here and on other boards.

I held on until the Vandy game. That's how blinded I was by that lovely head of hair.

Besides, UCLA who has Florida beaten?

glad you asked this question.

florida's success this season is not solely based on their run in the ncaa tournament.

tennessee's success is solely based on a 3 game stretch where they beat iowa, massachusetts, and mercer.

that's the difference.

Why do people keep obsessing over a close loss to Michigan but ignore that we came within a point of losing a play-in game that this roster had no business being in in the first place? Big picture, people.

Like Kentucky, we were clearly poorly seated by the NCAA.
Now, we get the benefit of the doubt next time.
Positive result.

1) It was a charge. 2) It was a stupidly designed play to begin with...giving your PF the ball that far from the basket with 10 secs left....that's idiocy. 3) We were also 1 pt from losing the play-in game that a team with this roster had no business being in.

Some perspective is needed. And yes, it was Umass and Mercer. Don't lose your minds, people.

If the D man moves his feet after you start your play, it's a foul. Morgan picked up both feet after Stokes moved to the lane.

Note, we blew out UMass and Mercer, and we had the post dominance to beat Duke if we'd had to.

IIRC we missed a shot to win it in regulation (and a FT to assure nothing worse than OT) and won the game in OT by 13. Big picture is the E8 was extremely close and to knock the coach for that is ridiculous. Plenty of legit criticisms but trying to belittle the team and coach for their tournament run is idiotic

also, the play-in game doesn't exist anymore. It's called the first round

I wish I could go to work and massively underachieve 80% of the time, barely meet expectations the other 20%, and then get a raise and be named employee of the month.

Massively underachieve?

He lost his PG, Maymon never came back fully (God love him for exceptional effort), and Stokes is 6'8" with no hops. But for the two unlucky losses to Texas AM (1 of which could have been avoided with better coaching on the last possession), he did as good a job as any SEC HC other than Donavan and Cal. He beat the ACC champ and NCAA #1 seed UVA by 35.

24-13 is a good start.

glad you asked this question.

florida's success this season is not solely based on their run in the ncaa tournament.

tennessee's success is solely based on a 3 game stretch where they beat iowa, massachusetts, and mercer.

that's the difference.

UT won 8 of its last 10.

And beat #1 seed UVA by 35.

Something is going on here.

I don't want to be that guy but could they have a problem with him being black?

I don`t know why this always has to come up.

Seems to me the people with the most problem with the color of his skin is the ones that keep bringing it up.

This argument is getting really old......find a new one.

Reactions: 1 person
It's rich to see anonymous posters here debating whether a university they don't own should give CCM a raise of 250,000, 500,000 or .67 cents. As if there's some index that UT must follow and as if it money coming out of their pockets. Get over yourselves!

What we have now, which we haven't had in any sport for years (LadyVols excluded), is momentum. To make the most of that, you keep the HC and lock him in with a nice raise and performance bonuses, and give the guy a platform to build on the momentum.

VN Store

Back