Donnie's X's and 0"s

I haven't studied Tyndall, but I have studied Pitino relentlessly, and my college coach was a GA on his staff at UK so I've played in a similar system. Tennessee will press you, and they'll press more at home than on the road (something Pitino does as well). They'll show you different looks in the press depending on how they score. Ex. Score in the paint = Run and jump (Matchup); Free throw = 1-2-1-1; Three = Half-court trap; Tyndall's cues may be completely different, and he may not vary his looks as much, (Pitino doesn't use the 1-2-1-1 nearly as much now as he did with UK) but that's kind of what to expect full court wise. Pitino does play a ton of his matchup in the half-court as the season goes by. Early in the year he won't use it as much especially if his team is inexperienced, but by March they are able to execute it how he wants. Initially, it looks like a pretty standard 2-3, but there's different cues throughout a possession that will trigger them to go man. The most obvious is a post-entry. Also, they'll double out of it a few different ways. They'll trap the first guard-to-wing pass past half-court, or they'll allow the ball into the short corner and trap it there while the opposite guard anticipates the pass out of the double. They'll occasionally jump into 1-3-1/diamond look out of the 2-3 once the ball passes half-court. Out of this, they'll trap the dribbler on the side of the floor (Take the volleyball lines of a gym floor and extend them all the way down the sideline; they'll trap in that area) 1 and 4 will trap the high-post area, and they'll trap the dribble into the corner as well. That's kind of a brief summary of what to possibly expect, however, the closer his system is to Pitino's, the more similarities you'll notice from my post.

Great stuff.

My question is how often do you think Tyndall goes straight man to man and what kind of man do you think he'll play? I know Pitino likes to soft hedge and go under screens to guard paint drives. I wonder if Tyndall will do the same thing.

My understanding is the match up zone is a combo defense. So he does not play straight man-to-man at all. Is that assumption correct?

My understanding is the match up zone is a combo defense. So he does not play straight man-to-man at all. Is that assumption correct?

My understanding is he plays very little man defense.

He mentioned in an interview he was all man D but when they had Faried, teams would pull him away from the basket to set picks for the other team's guards and didn't want his best player chasing people 20 feet away. Then he said a guy that came from Pitino's staff introduced him to the D and he rolled with it.
I love the thought of changing what you have always done and taking a shot at something different, as well as the reasoning behind it.

I haven't studied Tyndall, but I have studied Pitino relentlessly, and my college coach was a GA on his staff at UK so I've played in a similar system. Tennessee will press you, and they'll press more at home than on the road (something Pitino does as well). They'll show you different looks in the press depending on how they score. Ex. Score in the paint = Run and jump (Matchup); Free throw = 1-2-1-1; Three = Half-court trap; Tyndall's cues may be completely different, and he may not vary his looks as much, (Pitino doesn't use the 1-2-1-1 nearly as much now as he did with UK) but that's kind of what to expect full court wise. Pitino does play a ton of his matchup in the half-court as the season goes by. Early in the year he won't use it as much especially if his team is inexperienced, but by March they are able to execute it how he wants. Initially, it looks like a pretty standard 2-3, but there's different cues throughout a possession that will trigger them to go man. The most obvious is a post-entry. Also, they'll double out of it a few different ways. They'll trap the first guard-to-wing pass past half-court, or they'll allow the ball into the short corner and trap it there while the opposite guard anticipates the pass out of the double. They'll occasionally jump into 1-3-1/diamond look out of the 2-3 once the ball passes half-court. Out of this, they'll trap the dribbler on the side of the floor (Take the volleyball lines of a gym floor and extend them all the way down the sideline; they'll trap in that area) 1 and 4 will trap the high-post area, and they'll trap the dribble into the corner as well. That's kind of a brief summary of what to possibly expect, however, the closer his system is to Pitino's, the more similarities you'll notice from my post.

Solid post. Thanks.

There's obviously numerous variations when it comes to "matchup" zones, and it's a term that can be loosely thrown around in the basketball world. To make an analogy for those who might follow football more closely, it's kind of like basketball's version of the zone blitz. There's a lot of different ways to do it, none being completely right or wrong. There are different triggers throughout a possession that will dictate when the defense matches up. The differences are usually found in how teams defend cutters, the high-post area, and whether or not they trap out of it. As far as how often Tyndall will guard in a man or the style, I truly can't say. During the season I don't get an opportunity to watch many games due to my own preparation, and when I do, I just try to enjoy the game as a fan. I haven't studied his schematics either so it would be nothing more than a guess. However, I will say it's a rarity for coaches not to spend at least a few possessions in a man throughout a game (Boeheim would be an exception). Based upon what he's said regarding his defensive philosophy as a whole, if he were to play man I assume it's a style designed to turn teams over. If that's the case, they'll be in full denial one pass away, limit ball reversals, and try to keep the ball out of the middle of the floor. One poster above asked about ball screen defense (soft hedge and going under the screener specifically), there's a number different coverages you can use in defending ball screens, and most coaches have a variety of ways to defend them based on where the screen takes place on the floor and personnel.

VN Store

Back