Donnie's X's and 0"s

so do you think armani comes off the bench? maybe even have him start at 4?

Love his energy off the bench. But with his athleticism and experience, he may be hard to keep off the floor. I just hope him and others buy into DT's style on the offensive end. Cause I think they will love his defensive game plan. JMO

There are 24 teams that averaged more than 79.5 points. 37 more than 77.5. So plenty score about 80 a game or more.

You switched the scoring around. UT averaged 72.2 USM 72.1. His teams in 8 years have averaged more than 70 3 times. For his career its 68.5 ppg.

My point is his pace will be closer to Martin's or maybe slower. I think some think he has an exciting , fast paced O. That is not the case. Personally I don't care if they average 70 or 80 as long as they win. But people are fooling themselves if they think we are getting some offensive guru and its gonna be way more fun to watch.
It is the defense than Donnie brings to the table, not the offense. You have a full court press the entire game falling back into a match up zone designed to confuse the opposition into not knowing if you are playing man-to-man or zone and creating turnovers there also. It requires 9 or 10 players to apply it. I think when I looked he had 9 players averaging over 18 minutes a game. He also said his teams at Southern Miss were in the top 30 the last two years in turnovers. The scoring takes care of itself! :)

Actually checked NCAA stats. This year Southern Miss was ranked 8th in total steals, 4th in 2012-13.

Wanted to get this on the same page as the total steals stat. It is the defense than Donnie brings to the table, not the offense. You have a full court press the entire game falling back into a match up zone designed to confuse the opposition into not knowing if you are playing man-to-man or zone and creating turnovers there also. It requires 9 or 10 players to apply it. I think when I looked he had 9 players averaging over 18 minutes a game. He also said his teams at Southern Miss were in the top 30 the last two years in turnovers. The scoring takes care of itself!

Wanted to get this on the same page as the total steals stat. It is the defense than Donnie brings to the table, not the offense. You have a full court press the entire game falling back into a match up zone designed to confuse the opposition into not knowing if you are playing man-to-man or zone and creating turnovers there also. It requires 9 or 10 players to apply it. I think when I looked he had 9 players averaging over 18 minutes a game. He also said his teams at Southern Miss were in the top 30 the last two years in turnovers. The scoring takes care of itself!

You just wanted to mention your zone again. :)

Martin avg's close to 80 pts in his wins this year. Near 60 in his losses. Many of those below 60 pt games were because we puckered up and played passive, standing around offense and had ****ty gameplans with no in game adjustments--aggies x2, at vandy against 6 players.... During the streak when he stopped coaching and holding his players back and let players play offense, we were scoring 80 by letting jrich attack (rather than earlier games where he had 2-3 shots and was benched) and getting the ball to Stokes with 20 seconds on the shot clock, vs 5 seconds like early in the year.

I'm so glad you're on my side Sparty. :)

so do you think armani comes off the bench? maybe even have him start at 4?

DT, Moore, Jrich, Hubbs, Davis is a starting 5 built for this style, imo. Grinding it out and walking around, we would be screwed. Using our athleticism and aggressiveness in full court with 6'5-6'9 guys causing havoc seems like a good plan.

DT, Moore, Jrich, Hubbs, Davis is a starting 5 built for this style, imo. Grinding it out and walking around, we would be screwed. Using our athleticism and aggressiveness in full court with 6'5-6'9 guys causing havoc seems like a good plan.

Tyndall's teams weren't uptempo, they played a lot of half court. Defensively they're aggressive and sometimes pickup full court, but offensively it's a similar pace to Martin.

Reactions: 1 person
Tyndall's teams weren't uptempo, they played a lot of half court. Defensively they're aggressive and sometimes pickup full court, but offensively it's a similar pace to Martin.

when you press and are a top 30 team in the country in steals, you get shots and momentum. Whether that's called uptempo to some doesn't matter really. If we have 6'6 DT, 6'6 jrich, 6'6 Moore, 6'5 Hubbs and 6'9 Davis picking up full court, it should cause problems for teams and we should get some layups or kickout 3's.

Sounds like we will try to run when we can and off missed baskets if we can get an outlet pass, and will start the offense by sending picks to the pg in the halfcourt.

Then again, CM had me convinced last summer we were going to get up and down the floor more and we didn't for awhile so who knows.

I'll also add that opponents may use more of the shot clock as we drop back into zone and may not get into their offense until late in the clock unless they attack the zone and press with aggression.

Not just top 30, top 10 in total steals the last two years. In 2013-14, they ranked 8th and the year before they ranked 4th. Guess Donnie didn't want to brag too much.

Not just top 30, top 10 in total steals the last two years. In 2013-14, they ranked 8th and the year before they ranked 4th. Guess Donnie didn't want to brag too much.

cool with me. Will give up some baskets but I like the aggression. Hopefully get some steals or make teams launch late in the clock when they make it over.

Whether the offense is called uptempo or not, if we steal it, we are attacking the rim.

cool with me. Will give up some baskets but I like the aggression. Hopefully get some steals or make teams launch late in the clock when they make it over.

Whether the offense is called uptempo or not, if we steal it, we are attacking the rim.

Thompson and Richardson allowed to be aggresive defensively is exciting.

For anyone interested, here are the X's and 0's in action as #3 seeded Southern Miss beats #2 seeded Missouri at home in the NIT in the second round. This was the first loss Missouri had to a non-conference team at home since 2005.
Streaming Online - WatchESPN

For anyone interested, here are the X's and 0's in action as #3 seeded Southern Miss beats #2 seeded Missouri at home in the NIT in the second round. This was the first loss Missouri had to a non-conference team at home since 2005.
Streaming Online - WatchESPN

I watched the first few minutes. They pushed it up the floor off of every defensive rebound, which is uptempo to me.
Announcers also said they won 13 games on the road, which was one of the best road records in the country. We won 4 games on the road in the regular season. LSU, Bama, ms st and auburn.

You know, if you stop to think about it, if a visiting team comes in and starts making you look bad in front of your home crowd because of the relentless pressure, I can understand where teams would begin to become a little unglued. :D

I haven't studied Tyndall, but I have studied Pitino relentlessly, and my college coach was a GA on his staff at UK so I've played in a similar system. Tennessee will press you, and they'll press more at home than on the road (something Pitino does as well). They'll show you different looks in the press depending on how they score. Ex. Score in the paint = Run and jump (Matchup); Free throw = 1-2-1-1; Three = Half-court trap; Tyndall's cues may be completely different, and he may not vary his looks as much, (Pitino doesn't use the 1-2-1-1 nearly as much now as he did with UK) but that's kind of what to expect full court wise. Pitino does play a ton of his matchup in the half-court as the season goes by. Early in the year he won't use it as much especially if his team is inexperienced, but by March they are able to execute it how he wants. Initially, it looks like a pretty standard 2-3, but there's different cues throughout a possession that will trigger them to go man. The most obvious is a post-entry. Also, they'll double out of it a few different ways. They'll trap the first guard-to-wing pass past half-court, or they'll allow the ball into the short corner and trap it there while the opposite guard anticipates the pass out of the double. They'll occasionally jump into 1-3-1/diamond look out of the 2-3 once the ball passes half-court. Out of this, they'll trap the dribbler on the side of the floor (Take the volleyball lines of a gym floor and extend them all the way down the sideline; they'll trap in that area) 1 and 4 will trap the high-post area, and they'll trap the dribble into the corner as well. That's kind of a brief summary of what to possibly expect, however, the closer his system is to Pitino's, the more similarities you'll notice from my post.

Reactions: 1 person
I haven't studied Tyndall, but I have studied Pitino relentlessly, and my college coach was a GA on his staff at UK so I've played in a similar system. Tennessee will press you, and they'll press more at home than on the road (something Pitino does as well). They'll show you different looks in the press depending on how they score. Ex. Score in the paint = Run and jump (Matchup); Free throw = 1-2-1-1; Three = Half-court trap; Tyndall's cues may be completely different, and he may not vary his looks as much, (Pitino doesn't use the 1-2-1-1 nearly as much now as he did with UK) but that's kind of what to expect full court wise. Pitino does play a ton of his matchup in the half-court as the season goes by. Early in the year he won't use it as much especially if his team is inexperienced, but by March they are able to execute it how he wants. Initially, it looks like a pretty standard 2-3, but there's different cues throughout a possession that will trigger them to go man. The most obvious is a post-entry. Also, they'll double out of it a few different ways. They'll trap the first guard-to-wing pass past half-court, or they'll allow the ball into the short corner and trap it there while the opposite guard anticipates the pass out of the double. They'll occasionally jump into 1-3-1/diamond look out of the 2-3 once the ball passes half-court. Out of this, they'll trap the dribbler on the side of the floor (Take the volleyball lines of a gym floor and extend them all the way down the sideline; they'll trap in that area) 1 and 4 will trap the high-post area, and they'll trap the dribble into the corner as well. That's kind of a brief summary of what to possibly expect, however, the closer his system is to Pitino's, the more similarities you'll notice from my post.

Wow, thanks for that contribution. You have really shed a light on why he said think of his defense being similar to Louisville's. Not many of us have that intricate knowledge. Thanks, again!

VN Store

Back