Dobbs. Peterman in Gruden's QB Camp

I totally agree with you that Dak is the better passer. My reference was to the fact that even in this day and age people see a successful black QB and the comparisons automatically start. I.e. the references some have to Russel Wilson (who is light years better than Dobbs as a passer, and Dak as well) Notice there is no reference to athletic white QB's (S Young, A Rodgers, T Romo).

Although Dobbs is an athlete, he probably won't have immediate success like Dak. Prescott's planets and stars all aligned for him at the right time. If Romo wasn't injured, Dak wouldn't have seen the field this year. But he stepped up and all the pieces around him contributed and see where they got to record wise. Romo is not that great of a QB, He thows a lot of interceptions at inopportune times. Rodgers throws darts, and is mobile when he has to be. Steve Young was a stud, but look at what he had for teammates.. it was a who's who. Dobbs will be drafted by a bottom feeder and he will be initiated by fire and be running for his life. Dak plays behind the best OL in football and has all kinds of time to go thru his progressions. I think the comparisons of Dobbs and Dak is because they are same conference, both rugged QBs and are close era wise. Dobbs and Dak both seem to handle pressure well. I don't there was any intention to slight the white guys.

With Dak Prescot's success in Dallas, it will make it interesting to see where Dobbs ends up. I wonder if some team trying to catch lightning in a bottle will jump up and draft him earlier than expected?

Timing means a lot! Watson and Dobbs both will get more serious consideration given what Prescott accomplished at Dallas IMO.

What does Watson have to do to alleviate your "concerns" about his durability? Do answer, it's a rhetorical question, we already know your answer.

He injured the knee in November of 2014, his freshman year, played on it vs SCar after the injury and led them to their first win on the Gamecocks in 6 years while playing lights out......and proceeded to not miss a game in the next 2 years, 30 straight games. The kid has more than proven both his toughness and durability since that injury.

You may prefer Josh and Kaaya to Watson in this year's draft, but I seriously doubt any of the 32 professional NFL GMs do.

And? None of them thought Dak was any good last year and look how that turned out.

I could be the only person on earth who thinks Dobbs is the best QB in this draft and I could be right. Just because NFL GMs don't agree with me doesn't make me ultimately wrong.

NFL GMs have been wrong about many QBs.

Vince Young wasn't really a bad NFL QB; he won rookie of the year and ultimately had a 31-19 record as a starter for some pretty mediocre Titans teams. He could've been a great QB, but unfortunately he got screwed over by Jeff Fisher and a conservative playbook completely unsuited to utilize his talents. VY's problem was entering the NFL just a few years before it was really ready for a player like him.

That and he had a sack of rocks for a brain.

Reactions: 2 people
The "it" factor huh?..............Like Tebow?

If by "it factor" you mean he won a ton of games, including a national title, and was a great college football player. Surely those are good things you'd like to have in the qb you're about to draft if you're an NFL GM.

Otherwise, no, not like Tebow.....have you seen Watson throw a football? Doesn't exactly remind one of Tim Tebow.

Reactions: 1 person
And? None of them thought Dak was any good last year and look how that turned out.

I could be the only person on earth who thinks Dobbs is the best QB in this draft and I could be right. Just because NFL GMs don't agree with me doesn't make me ultimately wrong.

NFL GMs have been wrong about many QBs.

You didn't think Dak was any good either.....and how did that turn out?

And don't say "well I'm not an NFL GM" again, because that's pretty exactly what you're constantly trying to be on here.

As far as you being ultimately wrong, it won't be about whether or not GMs agree with you....it'll be whether or not you were ultimately wrong about Dobbs.....like you were wrong about Dak, and North, and Bosa and Kelvin Taylor, and .......

Vince Young wasn't really a bad NFL QB; he won rookie of the year and ultimately had a 31-19 record as a starter for some pretty mediocre Titans teams. He could've been a great QB, but unfortunately he got screwed over by Jeff Fisher and a conservative playbook completely unsuited to utilize his talents. VY's problem was entering the NFL just a few years before it was really ready for a player like him.

Young was an awful qb after his rookie year. He had very evident tendencies and teams quickly figured him out. That 31-19 record as a starter was complete fool's gold. As Bill Polian once said, after Vince's rookie season when he was outstanding, the Titans mostly won games in spite of Vince, not because of him.

Its very rare for a QB with tremendous success in college like Deshaun to also succeed in the NFL. The best pro QBs are typically in the Dak Prescott or Derek Carr mold. Very good college success. But not really the heisman/national title winning QB.

Cam Newton is the only outlier to this general trend.

First, do you have any concept of the relative probability of what you're discussing? By definition the pool of players meeting the national title/Heisman criteria is tiny compared to the rest of the field. (for simple illustration if you get 5 busts out of Heisman winners over the decade that's literally half of ALL of them. 5 busts out of all available decent-good players is nothing) Then there's the sort of thing somebody as hip to the game as you pretend to be should take into account...like Heismans are highly predicated on TEAM success and NC's are entirely so. Not to mention those are often the kind of guys picked early and thrown to the wolves on crappy teams at the next level. In short your attempt at actually associating great collegiate success as having an actual negative impact on NFL success just doesn't make sense under any scrutiny. How about individual success at the college level and correlation with NFL success?

Your examples are Dak Prescott and Derek Carr. Prescott is the #3 total yardage leader in SEC history. Carr threw for just under 13K yards at a 66.7 completion rate and career rating of 152.8.

Dobbs is an above average athlete with an instinctive running ability and a knack for extending plays even when theres contact and a nose for the endzone. He has an average arm with below average mechanics and accuracy. It is what it is. I could see him lasting 3-5 years as a backup at the next level with the right tutelage combined with his intelligence and work ethic. I think hed make an awesome back-up or scout team qb for a franchise that has to play mobile qbs within their division regularly but i dont think he has the pure arm talent to make it as a starter. Thats not a knock on him at all btw, very thankful we had him and hes one of my favorite players to ever wear the orange and white but lets be realistic about his abiliites.

Because they were both mobile SEC qbs they are automatically similar? No. Ive watched every throw of Dobbs career and I watched every throw Dak threw this year and its night and day. Dak makes throws Dobbs can only dream of. Hell he threw for almost 3k more yards than Dobbs in his college career.

They played on different teams! So it's only an opinion one way or the other.

Dobbs will be drafted by a bottom feeder and he will be initiated by fire and be running for his life.

Why do you have this opinion? Only high first round QB's typically go to a "bottom feeder", and that's only guaranteed if the bottom feeder doesn't trade away the pick. It's highly unlikely Dobbs goes in rounds 1-3 so every team will get multiple opportunities to draft him. He's just as likely to go to a power house franchise as going to a bottom feeder franchise. Dallas ought to draft him in the 3rd to back up Dak since so many view them as similar players. Romo obviously won't be there next year.

You didn't think Dak was any good either.....and how did that turn out?

And don't say "well I'm not an NFL GM" again, because that's pretty exactly what you're constantly trying to be on here.

As far as you being ultimately wrong, it won't be about whether or not GMs agree with you....it'll be whether or not you were ultimately wrong about Dobbs.....like you were wrong about Dak, and North, and Bosa and Kelvin Taylor, and .......

Marquez was just added to the Rams active roster so I wouldn't give up on him just yet. If he can get healthy, he'll be a quality NFL WR.

And since you love reminding everyone of my misses, how about the hits?

(1) I said Ezekiel Elliott would not only be the best player in the 2016 draft but he would immediately become one of the top RBs in the NFL and lead the league in rushing. That happened.

(2) I also said Sterling Shepard was the #1 WR in the 2016 draft and was a better prospect than Treadwell, Coleman, or any other overhyped first round WR. I was right about that as well.

(3) I called Jared Goff being an epic bust. That happened.

(4) I said Derrick Henry would be a bust in the NFL. That happened.

Its true that so far it looks like I missed on some guys. But so far it looks like I've been right on other guys as well.

Marquez was just added to the Rams active roster so I wouldn't give up on him just yet. If he can get healthy, he'll be a quality NFL WR.

(1) I said Ezekiel Elliott would not only be the best player in the 2016 draft but he would immediately become one of the top RBs in the NFL and lead the league in rushing. That happened.

(2) I also said Sterling Shepard was the #1 WR in the 2016 draft and was a better prospect than Treadwell, Coleman, or any other overhyped first round WR. I was right about that as well.

Its true that so far it looks like I missed on some guys. But so far it looks like I've been right on other guys as well.

So you're not giving up on Marquez yet after he wasn't drafted, couldn't get on their roster and has yet to play a single NFL snap....but Goff, who certainly struggled but started 7 games and threw for 1,100 yards or so, is an epic bust already?

Congrats on Ezekiel and Shepard....you got those right.

Edit- on second thought, can't give you much credit for Elliott....4th overall pick running behind easily the best OL in the league....not much of leap there.

Last edited:

DERRICK HENRY BUST 😮😂😂😂 Did u not watch the Titians

So you're not giving up on Marquez yet after he wasn't drafted, couldn't get on their roster and has yet to play a single NFL snap....but Goff, who certainly struggled but started 7 games and threw for 1,100 yards or so, is an epic bust already?

Congrats on Ezekiel and Shepard....you got those right.

North was injured all year. Goff wasn't. If North can ever manage to stay healthy (I'm not sure this will happen but I can hope), he'll be a decent NFL receiver.

DERRICK HENRY BUST 😮😂😂😂 Did u not watch the Titians

I did. He didn't do much of anything. And don't give me he's just a rookie. Typically high profile RBs come in and dominate immediately.

Henry will be another Brandon Jacobs.

I did. He didn't do much of anything. And don't give me he's just a rookie. Typically high profile RBs come in and dominate immediately.

He was playing behind the top 2 or 3 RBs yardage wise in the NFL in Murray. Henry averged 4.5 yards and had 5 tds on very limited carries.

Reactions: 3 people

Being behind one of the best RBs in the NFL was the only issue Henry had. I'm still not sold that he is a future All Pro but I really like what I've seen out of the kid so far.

He was playing behind the top 2 or 3 RBs yardage wise in the NFL in Murray. Henry averged 4.5 yards and had 5 tds on very limited carries.

Demarco Murray is not a top RB. Stop it. As a young RB you should be able to beat out a RB on his last legs at 28 years old.

VN Store

Back