Do we know what play Beamer was going to run...

volmanjr

Just Living the Good Life!
When he left the punt team in after they gashed us on the fake? WTH was he thinking?

It was a ploy to get us to burn a timeout. They would have burned one if we didn’t.
I think that's pretty smart. 90% of the time the opposing team will burn it if they think the right personnel isn't on the field.

If I were the coach I'd think about doing that on some plays especially if you are up and have timeouts that you don't need in the 2nd or 4th quarter.

Reactions: ftsandersvol
Not sure about that, but I’m still trying to figure out the “Not in an obvious kick formation” penalty we got on the punt that went down to the 5 or 6 yard line, wth is that??? Isn’t that the exact same as a quick kick?? It’s “not an obvious punt formation”, but last I checked still perfectly legal!

Yeah, he won the battle at making Tennessee use a timeout while losing the war to see who could score the most points.

I think that stunt sums up his coaching style, more worried about trying to be clever than just focusing on winning.
Almost a perfect description of his coaching style

I think it was going to be some power runs or wildcat. If he still had beef in the game and we had our special games, it's kind of brilliant... or crazy

Reactions: redge
I think that's pretty smart. 90% of the time the opposing team will burn it if they think the right personnel isn't on the field.

If I were the coach I'd think about doing that on some plays especially if you are up and have timeouts that you don't need in the 2nd or 4th quarter.

Seems high risk to me, and it's a pretty rare scenario. You have to be 1 play off of a fake play on special teams, and the offense is being run by the punter or maybe a receiver. You probably aren't in a great position in the 4th quarter if you're running fakes, and if your special teams makes an error trying to draw a timeout, you lose 5 yards.

Yeah, he won the battle at making Tennessee use a timeout while losing the war to see who could score the most points.

I think that stunt sums up his coaching style, more worried about trying to be clever than just focusing on winning.

He is in over his head and knows it. Just trying to compensate.

Not sure about that, but I’m still trying to figure out the “Not in an obvious kick formation” penalty we got on the punt that went down to the 5 or 6 yard line, wth is that??? Isn’t that the exact same as a quick kick?? It’s “not an obvious punt formation”, but last I checked still perfectly legal!

I'm so confused about that too. We used to have Tyler Bray kick punts from a standard offensive formation under Dooley. There was never a problem then.

I'm so confused about that too. We used to have Tyler Bray kick punts from a standard offensive formation under Dooley. There was never a problem then.
If you are not in a "true punt formation" then you have to have 5 members of the line with number between 50 and 79. You can have more, but they are not eligible to be a receiver or go downfield on a pass. In the old days if your snapper had a number such as 20 because he was also a receiver, you would have to have a pullover jersey for him to snap the ball. If you quick-kick you usually use the starting center to snap the ball.

Reactions: alavolfan
I think he was trying to get UT to burn a timeout. Little does he know CJH doesn't care about timeouts.

He thinks he's a preppy cool boy, the way he talks, his antics, and he thinks everyone else thinks he's cool, but really he's just a plow boy from SW Virginia. That's all.

Reactions: JohnWardForever
What burned me was that nobody was ready for the fake punt. That's the easiest fake conversion I've ever seen. Somebody didn't "Do their job".
I thought I saw two guys bite on the inside gunner and one left Legett (sp?) run down the field. They partially smelled it out but one missed his assignment

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
When he left the punt team in after they gashed us on the fake? WTH was he thinking?
The sad part if you are a SC fan was that their punter had the best pass of the game for them. Perhaps, Beamer was going to give him another chance to throw.

He was trying to be the smartest guy in the room. Inferiority complex-driven, “Beamer-ball” nonsense.
Is there anything more tired than announcers shrieking “Beamer-ball” anytime something slightly positive happens on special teams lol? They act as if the family invented faking punts.

VN Store

Back