discussion of how the OL progresses through camp

Catbone is the definition of a Negative Nancy who thinks he knows more than our coaches to boot just because he lives on this board.
Pretty sad because he seems to have a pretty good sense of humor, some of the time.

He knows enough about football to be dangerous, yes?

I wish we had picked up the LT from UAB, Salako. By all reports he will be the starter for OK state. Huge kid.

Reactions: 1 person
That is a very insightful comment. :question:

I still have hope for the offensive line, but I would have felt better if the headlines had differed slightly. K-Mac and Tuttle hold their own as true freshman, sounds better than them throwing our offensive linemen around like rag dolls. That can change during fall practice, but it's still is not inspiring.

Offensive line observations: It was the first day in pads, but there wasn’t a ton of truly live action in the open period. I did get a better sense for who is working where, however, and possibly a feel for how the depth chart could be shaking out early in camp. Mack Crowder, Dylan Wiesman and Ray Raulerson were the only ones working at center on Saturday with Coleman Thomas getting his reps at tackle.

And at least in the drill that I watched, which was a half-life drill with a center on both side (that was Crowder and Wiesman with the first group) and then a guard and tackle working with them, Thomas was getting the first look at right tackle. Jack Jones joined him as the right guard in that first look. Jashon Robertson was over at left guard (Marcus Jackson wasn’t on the practice field in the open portion) with Kyler Kerbyson in his now-familiar left tackle spot.

The second group to go was (RT) Drew Richmond and (RG) Venzell Boulware and Brett Kendrick (LG) and Chance Hall (LT). So as you can see, those are some changeups from what has been seen in the past. But it’s also common to see guys cross-training and some mixing and matching this early in camp especially, so I wouldn’t take any of that too seriously – just an interesting look and something to watch out for going forward.

Daniel Lewis 8/8

we have the talent with the young OL we have. they just need to go through the development phase. You don't want to stunt them by bringing in Juco who are likely less talented. Plus your taking up roster spots when you other needs.

Someone asked me yesterday and I could not think of a single junior college offensive tackle that was an SEC level player. there may be some, but none have come to mind yet.

Carpenter at Bama was a first round pick

Will the Oline continue to be the Vol's achilles heel?
With the SEC being such a line of schrimage league, will it be 2016 before the Vol's can make needed improvements to the Oline to challenge for the east?
These are questions Vol fans must ask, No?
Winning 8 games, may suddenly seems more difficult, than previously suggested.
Go Vol's

Where would the Vol's Oline be rated in the SEC?
8th......10th...... last, next to last?
Good question, maybe we get a better feel as camp progresses.......

Could injuries to the Oline, lead to another disapointing season? Possibly, but, I really hate to think about another subpar Vol season, you?

Offensive line observations: It was the first day in pads, but there wasn’t a ton of truly live action in the open period. I did get a better sense for who is working where, however, and possibly a feel for how the depth chart could be shaking out early in camp. Mack Crowder, Dylan Wiesman and Ray Raulerson were the only ones working at center on Saturday with Coleman Thomas getting his reps at tackle.

And at least in the drill that I watched, which was a half-life drill with a center on both side (that was Crowder and Wiesman with the first group) and then a guard and tackle working with them, Thomas was getting the first look at right tackle. Jack Jones joined him as the right guard in that first look. Jashon Robertson was over at left guard (Marcus Jackson wasn’t on the practice field in the open portion) with Kyler Kerbyson in his now-familiar left tackle spot.

The second group to go was (RT) Drew Richmond and (RG) Venzell Boulware and Brett Kendrick (LG) and Chance Hall (LT). So as you can see, those are some changeups from what has been seen in the past. But it’s also common to see guys cross-training and some mixing and matching this early in camp especially, so I wouldn’t take any of that too seriously – just an interesting look and something to watch out for going forward.

Daniel Lewis 8/8

LT Kerbyson
LG Robertson
C Crowder
RG Jones
RT Thomas

I do not have a lot of confidence in that group

While many Vol fans consider last years Oline the worst in history, is it reasonable to ask these very same players to suddenly become the SEC east champions? Yes/No?

Offensive line update: Marcus Jackson missed his second consecutive practice. We’ve been asked by several people if that’s serious, and all we can say is that nothing’s been confirmed to us yet, but there’s certainly some concern about that. Butch Jones won’t speak to the media against until after Tuesday’s practice, so there may not be an official word until then.

I didn’t see Jashon Robertson or Dylan Wiesman at practice either on Monday. Robertson had been battling an illness recently, so perhaps that’s related. I did, however, get a better feel for who is working at what position right now on the offensive line. Of the guys at practice on Monday, Mack Crowder and Ray Raulerson were the two working primarily at center, though Brett Kendrick and Jack Jones got some snaps there too. The tackles were Chance Hall, Dontavius Blair, Drew Richmond, Coleman Thomas and Kyler Kerbyson. The guards were Jack Jones, Austin Sanders, Venzell Boulware, Charles Mosley and Kendrick as well.

If Jackson were to miss significant time, Jack Jones was who I saw getting some first-team rep work on Saturday, so that’s a name to keep in mind going forward.

• Defensive end Quay Picou, in his first day in pads, went against Charles Mosley and seemed to hang in well with him. Picou was giving up a lot of weight in that battle, so not bad there.

• Brett Kendrick appeared to win a rep against Coleman Thomas in a battle of two guys looking to crack the offensive line starting give

• It might be curtains on the Dontavius Blair era. He got run over by Chance Hall, and based on watching offensive line drills over the past week, Blair looks to be fairly buried on the depth chart at this point.

http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2015/08/10/practice-notes-810/

Reactions: 3 people
These guys were young and looked lost last year.. So a year of technique and coaching hasn't improved these guys? I just don't want to believe these guys aren't going to be much improved. I just want to believe in em..

VN Store

Back