discussion of how the OL progresses through camp

We were very weak at LT and C based on last years games.. Only Potential change is at Center of the 2

Biopsyman, 50% of all your posts that you have posted on VN have pretty much been this same post. Which one of these guys hurt you or your family? You still in Knoxville driving those trucks?

Reactions: 3 people
I think the O line will be better if only because Dobbs will move around in the pocket more. Reasoning alone also says that the experience from last year will help.

^ This. I think with Dobbs and Hurd/Kamara in the backfield opposing offenses are not going to be able to just blitz every down like if Worley was in.

I was the one panicking last year even before spring practice started, but this year the offensive line is going to be just fine, imo, especially with the skill players we have. There's much more experience, depth, and young talent. They are also healthier.

Granted, what we don't have yet (maybe by next year we will) is a line that can take it and shove it down your throat when the throw game is not on, or when you need to take charge and control the ball deep in the red zone, or late in the game. However, those areas will no doubt be much improved over last year.

We ought to just get a handful of Juco OL and tell them they can play immediately. No offense to the returning OL, but they're just not worthy to play in the Division I football, let alone the SEC. They got eaten alive vs Chattanooga for God's sake.

As others have said, now that coaches know Dobbs can run, they will make him beat us with the pass. He no longer has the element of surprise. It could be more of the same from last year if we don't improve in the trenches.

Reactions: 2 people
We ought to just get a handful of Juco OL and tell them they can play immediately. No offense to the returning OL, but they're just not worthy to play in the Division I football, let alone the SEC. They got eaten alive vs Chattanooga for God's sake.

As others have said, now that coaches know Dobbs can run, they will make him beat us with the pass. He no longer has the element of surprise. It could be more of the same from last year if we don't improve in the trenches.

What an energy drop...been licking the A/C unit again Whiskers?

Let's just scrap the football program tbh

OL, especially LT and C are the spots on the team that worry me most. We may have improved a bit but not much.

Crowder going up against a true NT will be pushed into the backfield on every play, combo blocks will be necessary on the left side.

I expect a lot of runs and roll outs, to the right this year.

I don't guess anyone remembers Mack pushing around Montori hughes in the Orange and White game a few years ago as a true freshman. Hughes, at 6'4" and 350lbs is kind of like a true NT with the Colts. If Crowder is allowed to focus on doing his job then he'll be fine. For the small posse of would be OL coaches... the same kinda guys who always root for the back-up QB "until" he's played his 2nd game... Crowder is the best center on the team. If he got hurt we'd go backwards like last season. The #2 center would not be Thomas. It'd probably be Wiesman or Robertson which either way would hurt the team. Things are always less complicated when you're looking at stats and pieces of paper and then start typing. The human mind, on the field is the curveball you guys can't seem to figure in the equation.

It's only the 2 day of fall practice, the Oline personel may change several times before the end of camp, there's time to get the absolute best players in the rotation, so don't panic just yet

Last year, I wondered how much better the O-line could be this year. With the "absolute best players in rotation," my guess was...a little better. I think that a few freshmen will play before mid season.

I don't guess anyone remembers Mack pushing around Montori hughes in the Orange and White game a few years ago as a true freshman. Hughes, at 6'4" and 350lbs is kind of like a true NT with the Colts. If Crowder is allowed to focus on doing his job then he'll be fine. For the small posse of would be OL coaches... the same kinda guys who always root for the back-up QB "until" he's played his 2nd game... Crowder is the best center on the team. If he got hurt we'd go backwards like last season. The #2 center would not be Thomas. It'd probably be Wiesman or Robertson which either way would hurt the team. Things are always less complicated when you're looking at stats and pieces of paper and then start typing. The human mind, on the field is the curveball you guys can't seem to figure in the equation.
if you think crowder is even an above average sec ol then you havent watched much Tn football over the years. Thats not to say he cant improve, but he needs to. That and left tackle will determine whether we will be decent or good imo... We could find you 40 plays where he got destroyed last year

I'm a little surprised at some of the freshmen, especially Jones at RG and Boulware at T. I kinda thought Jones would be the future at RT and Bolware would play guard.

Jones is so athletic that he can play any OL position. He has great feet. The staff has been discussing him at G from the get-go. I'd love to see him pulling and leading Hurd downfield on a sweep. :rock:

definitely not the answer.

the one Juco OL we have on the roster is behind a freshman OL that did not even play his last year of high school ball due to injury and had only 3 games on the OL his junior year.

took him 3 days to pass him.

Reactions: 1 person
if you think crowder is even an above average sec ol then you havent watched much Tn football over the years. Thats not to say he cant improve, but he needs to. That and left tackle will determine whether we will be decent or good imo... We could find you 40 plays where he got destroyed last year

Lol you've gathered too much of your analysis from the six on VN that have posted 3,000 posts on the subject. 40 plays lol? Without Crowder we lose the SC game last year. If you understood the game and position you would agree.

definitely not the answer.

the one Juco OL we have on the roster is behind a freshman OL that did not even play his last year of high school ball due to injury and had only 3 games on the OL his junior year.

took him 3 days to pass him.

You go get 2 or 3 of them and hope to hit on a Tackle, and come up with a reason to let the 2 others go that dont get it, its dirty but if you wont to get to the top you play a little dirty from time to time, thats how you become elite.:eek:hmy::

You go get 2 or 3 of them and hope to hit on a Tackle, and come up with a reason to let the 2 others go that dont get it, its dirty but if you wont to get to the top you play a little dirty from time to time, thats how you become elite.:eek:hmy::

we have the talent with the young OL we have. they just need to go through the development phase. You don't want to stunt them by bringing in Juco who are likely less talented. Plus your taking up roster spots when you other needs.

Someone asked me yesterday and I could not think of a single junior college offensive tackle that was an SEC level player. there may be some, but none have come to mind yet.

Will the Vol's Oline get thrown around by 2 young frosh, Tuttle & Mckenzie? If so, what does that say about our Oline?

We brought in the top JUCO LT in the country to take Tiny's spot. He's been sitting on the bench for two years. That's not the answer.

we have the talent with the young OL we have. they just need to go through the development phase. You don't want to stunt them by bringing in Juco who are likely less talented. Plus your taking up roster spots when you other needs.

Someone asked me yesterday and I could not think of a single junior college offensive tackle that was an SEC level player. there may be some, but none have come to mind yet.
Exactly. We have plenty of talent, especially with the class we brought in this year. After these guys develop our OL will be a strength.

We brought in the top JUCO LT in the country to take Tiny's spot. He's been sitting on the bench for two years. That's not the answer.

I believe that's for ONE year.
He was sitting right there by Dobbs the first half of last season before JD lost his redshirt, but Blair was able to stay in our stockpile reserve.

Will the Vol's Oline get thrown around by 2 young frosh, Tuttle & Mckenzie? If so, what does that say about our Oline?

It says that some of our vets were underestimating what true freshmen could do. We'll see how that unfolds.

Catbone is the definition of a Negative Nancy who thinks he knows more than our coaches to boot just because he lives on this board.
Pretty sad because he seems to have a pretty good sense of humor, some of the time.

Its no big secret that we need much improved OL play this year. We have an influx of recognized talent. Lets see how it plays out on the field before going all chicken-little.....

Last edited:
There's a difference between disappointing and not even scholarship worthy. We're getting spoiled with every class Butch brings in but having Blair on your ROSTER isn't a waste IMO. Enough injuries and it would be good having this guy as an option as opposed to some of those names Dooley pulled out.

Are all the Dooley.esk players gone?

VN Store

Back