Did Currie blow it?

Currie got it right IMO. I firmly believe this is the BEST HIRE he could have made.
Time will tell but I predict UT Baseball to make some Noise in the NEAR FUTURE.

I am certainly Behind TONY V 110 percent...Rumor is , he's the hardest worker there is...That alone EXCITES me for the Program. Kids NEED SOMEONE they can Relate to and I think He's the RIGHT GUY for UT BASEBALL....
IT's GREAT to BE a TN VOL.....

Damn that hurts my heart. I love that guy

I can assure anyone here that Calvi meant no ill will or disrespect with his comments. Hie is a very open and honest guy and answered a reporters question with more detail than we are used to hearing. He is at a school where his sport is the priority. His AD is a former baseball coach. He returns perhaps his best team next season. At his age he knows if he takes a big job it will be the last one he gets. He can be picky. If it never happens that's ok. He has a national championship ring and has coached in the SEC already.... that said I think he would take the Georgia job in a heartbeat.

I can assure anyone here that Calvi meant no ill will or disrespect with his comments. Hie is a very open and honest guy and answered a reporters question with more detail than we are used to hearing. He is at a school where his sport is the priority. His AD is a former baseball coach. He returns perhaps his best team next season. At his age he knows if he takes a big job it will be the last one he gets. He can be picky. If it never happens that's ok. He has a national championship ring and has coached in the SEC already.... that said I think he would take the Georgia job in a heartbeat.

I think his comments were made positioning for the South Carolina job.

You don't think so?

You don't think so?

That would be my first guess.

May concurrently, at least this way, if there is a chance that insiders around college baseball hear he turned down UT, he can let everyone know that he is still open to other jobs.

You don't think so?

Tanner knows he wants the job but the timing and circumstances are off right now. Who knows maybe he ends up there but I don't think so. I would love it for him if he did. In my opinion he would have made the same decision regarding UT regardless of the South Carolina situation.

Tanner knows he wants the job but the timing and circumstances are off right now. Who knows maybe he ends up there but I don't think so. I would love it for him if he did. In my opinion he would have made the same decision regarding UT regardless of the South Carolina situation.

And if that is true then Tennessee job is even worse than I think.

Agreed but that brings up timing.
Wrap him up sooner

He made it clear that he was going to take a few days before deciding anything, regardless of the offer. Currie took that as meaning he was going to see if he was a factor for the USC job. He moved on. I don't believe that Currie was going to get into a bidding war over a coach from a smaller school, regardless of where people in baseball think his career is heading.

awful lot of money for an assistant coach

His salary will be 11th or 12th in the SEC. It's really not much money for a baseball coach in 2017.

I wonder if Bohannon would have been the coach today if Bama hadn't opened. I am betting he would have been .

Potentially, but I'm not convinced UT was as in love with him as has been suggested.

Reactions: 2 people
He made it clear that he was going to take a few days before deciding anything, regardless of the offer. Currie took that as meaning he was going to see if he was a factor for the USC job. He moved on. I don't believe that Currie was going to get into a bidding war over a coach from a smaller school, regardless of where people in baseball think his career is heading.

His salary will be 11th or 12th in the SEC. It's really not much money for a baseball coach in 2017.

Potentially, but I'm not convinced UT was as in love with him as has been suggested.

493k isn't 11th or 12th in the SEC. it's higher than that

ON a fun note: We got us a Coach with 2 - power T's in his name. Currie came with the Double Power!!! LOVE IT!!!

493k isn't 11th or 12th in the SEC. it's higher than that

You may be right, I don't have a chart in front of me, but that's what I was told by multiple people. Serrano was the 9th-highest paid coach in the league and we're now paying less.

You may be right, I don't have a chart in front of me, but that's what I was told by multiple people. Serrano was the 9th-highest paid coach in the league and we're now paying less.

Serrano made $450k base, Vitello will be making $493 average base. I think the difference comes from the benefits and bonuses. Somehow Serrano was making around $675k with those included, which put him near the top of the SEC.

According to the numbers, it had us at 6th overall with $679,179, including all benefits and bonuses paid to Serrano. LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Florida, and Texas A&M were ahead of us, with Arkansas and Georgia about $10-20k below us. LSU ($1.1 million), Mississippi State ($1 million), and Ole Miss ($949,087) were well ahead of the SEC. Another important value is our staff pay, which ranks 8th in the SEC at $630,106.

Last edited:
Could not find a master list, so I researched them individually. The most updated master list was from AL.com in 2013. Vitello ranks ninth, though I would expect Nick Mingione and Butch Thompson to get raises that will surpass him after their seasons. Each is pretty close already. South Carolina was only paying Holbrook $400k officially, they'll be spending $500k or more to make a hire.

Brad Bohannon's contract at Alabama hasn't been released. For the sake of argument, if he makes the same or less than Goff and the coaches/schools I listed get raises, Vitello will be 12th, ahead of only Alabama and Missouri.

I'm listing total compensation, excluding performance bonuses. Base salary only where noted.

Florida - Kevin O’Sullivan - $1.25 million
LSU - Paul Mainieri - $1.1 million
Vandy - Tim Corbin (private school, no public contract but believed to be $1 million+)
Arkansas - Dave Van Horn - $775,000
Ole Miss - Mike Bianco - $640,000 (base only)
A&M - Rob Childress - $600,000
Georgia - Scott Stricklin - $582,800
MSU - Andy Cannizaro - $533,333
Tennessee - Tony Vitello - $493,000
Auburn - Butch Thompson - $475,000
Alabama - Greg Goff (just fired) - $450,000 (base only)
South Carolina - Chad Holbrook (fired) $400,000 (base only)
Kentucky - Nick Mingione - $425,000 (and sure to rise after Super Regional run)
Mizzou - Steve Bieser - $300,000 (base only)

If Cockrell(head coach) and Helton(full time asst) were available and willing and a pitching coach with big league staff and minor league development experience were all committed to coming to TN, why not give them an interview? Recruiting kids that want to play at the next level and gain experience and training from people who have been there for 30 years would have been a no brainer. I am not for every TN alumni coaching their sport, but experienced and more than qualified people should be given a shot at the job!

Mistake in my opinion

I wonder if Bohannon would have been the coach today if Bama hadn't opened. I am betting he would have been .

From what I heard, Bama called Bohannon a few hours before he was scheduled to meet with Currie. Tide offered the job and pushed him for a decision before the UT interview. He took the bird in the hand.

No way of knowing if UT would have offered him the job.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back