Did Currie blow it?

the fact that Calvi openly talked about this strikes me as odd - or bad

Why would he do that?

Maybe we dodged a prima dona bullet

Reactions: 5 people
Not sure how much better he could have done.

Certainly could have done a lot worse.

Bottom line - Currie hired a recruiter, which is exactly what the program needs right now. Talent evaluation is the primary reason why the last coach wasn't successful. That is what needs to be fixed first and foremost.

Reactions: 2 people
I think he did it to put pressure on South Carolina and gain public support. That makes sense to me

Well I will forever despise the man now. I get remaining loyal to South Alabama and not leaving, but the way he put down Tennessee and seemed so arrogant rubbed me the wrong way too. That is an insult, especially if it is just to put himself in a better position to take the USC job. He could have done that in other ways than publicly rubbing us through the mud. I know we're not the best baseball program, but we are a hungry fan base that wants to win, just need someone to take us there.

Regardless, I'm all in on Vitello. Great recruiter, hard worker, and most importantly wants to be at Tennessee. Welcome Coach Vitello!

Reactions: 5 people
Well I will forever despise the man now. I get remaining loyal to South Alabama and not leaving, but the way he put down Tennessee and seemed so arrogant rubbed me the wrong way too. That is an insult, especially if it is just to put himself in a better position to take the USC job. He could have done that in other ways than publicly rubbing us through the mud. I know we're not the best baseball program, but we are a hungry fan base that wants to win, just need someone to take us there.

Regardless, I'm all in on Vitello. Great recruiter, hard worker, and most importantly wants to be at Tennessee. Welcome Coach Vitello!

Agree with all of this.

Not sure how much better he could have done.

Certainly could have done a lot worse.

Bottom line - Currie hired a recruiter, which is exactly what the program needs right now. Talent evaluation is the primary reason why the last coach wasn't successful. That is what needs to be fixed first and foremost.

I do not think Serrano's problem was talent evaluation, he was very successful everywhere else he has been except Tennessee. Plus we signed top 20 recruiting classes the last 4 years. I believe some of our top recruits ended up signing with MLB before ever getting on campus, but we have had good talent. I think the issue was developing that talent and allowing players to reach their full potential, which a large part was his inability to connect well with players and recruits, especially in the South. I do not think people dislike him, but people play harder for a coach they can relate to and connect with. Also, relationships, connections, and personality only help out when competiting to sign the best players in the state and country.

I'm excited for Vitello's SEC experience, dedication, and reputation of being a hard worker. Our program needs it to turn the corner and be successful. This is his first HC gig, he may have something to prove and pour all of his energy and passion into Tennessee, and he may very well be a gem that we will be lucky to call ours for many years.

Last edited:
IMO Currie did NOT blow it. Also as for Calvi better luck down the road dude and hope to beat you with Vitello as OUR HC. Calvi is a HC @ USA and Bohannon was a assistant @ Auburn so I could see the difference on a time frame to offer either one of them. If USA had NOT been in the regionals I could have seen a similar time frame. At the end of the day new HC Tony Vitello has my full support and should from every true Vol Nation fan. PS my candidate was Mike Bell (BruinVol knows). Lets hire him away from FSU as a pitching coach.

I do not think Serrano's problem was talent evaluation, he was very successful everywhere else he has been except Tennessee. Plus we signed top 20 recruiting classes the last 4 years. I believe some of our top recruits ended up signing with MLB before ever getting on campus, but we have had good talent. I think the issue was developing that talent and allowing players to reach their full potential, which a large part was his inability to connect well with players and recruits, especially in the South. I do not think people dislike him, but people play harder for a coach they can relate to and connect with. Also, relationships, connections, and personality only help out when competiting to sign the best players in the state and country.

I'm excited for Vitello's SEC experience, dedication, and reputation of being a hard worker. Our program needs it to turn the corner and be successful. This is his first HC gig, he may have something to prove and pour all of his energy and passion into Tennessee, and he may very well be a gem that we will be lucky to call ours for many years.

Disagree 110%.

The SEC has become a power league, and he continued to recruit small ball players.

East Tennessee has turned out a good number of D1 players who have ended up elsewhere because they were told they weren't good enough to play at UT, much less offered scholly money.

Been through this many times on this and other forums. It's about the talent, and the previous coach just couldn't get enough of it to campus.

Reactions: 1 person
IMO Currie did NOT blow it. Also as for Calvi better luck down the road dude and hope to beat you with Vitello as OUR HC. Calvi is a HC @ USA and Bohannon was a assistant @ Auburn so I could see the difference on a time frame to offer either one of them. If USA had NOT been in the regionals I could have seen a similar time frame. At the end of the day new HC Tony Vitello has my full support and should from every true Vol Nation fan. PS my candidate was Mike Bell (BruinVol knows). Lets hire him away from FSU as a pitching coach.

I wonder if Bohannon would have been the coach today if Bama hadn't opened. I am betting he would have been .

No, I know you were asking a question. But to phrase it as did he blow it not did we make a great hire is more of that negative attitude.

I think I am with 66 here and give Currie a B. I think we ended up with curries 3rd choice with all three being dang good options.

I think I am with 66 here and give Currie a B. I think we ended up with curries 3rd choice with all three being dang good options.

I'm with Bruin and 66. Seems like a solid hire but there are two things I wonder about:
1. He's a Missouri grad and has coached there. Why didn't they hire him last year?
2. He has been a good recruiter but all of his recruiting has been in the midwest. How long does it take him to develop relationships with coaches, scouts, etc in the southeast?

I'm with Bruin and 66. Seems like a solid hire but there are two things I wonder about:
1. He's a Missouri grad and has coached there. Why didn't they hire him last year?
2. He has been a good recruiter but all of his recruiting has been in the midwest. How long does it take him to develop relationships with coaches, scouts, etc in the southeast?

He was recruiting to a southeastern school. Granted Fayetteville is closer to Iowa than UT but he's proven he can pull kids from one region to another. Perhaps he does the same here. McDonnell has made a living off of pulling the best of the Midwest to UofL and selling them on coming and playing in "warmer" weather. Getting to play in Columbia, SC in March beats the hell out of Lincoln, NE in March.

He was recruiting to a southeastern school. Granted Fayetteville is closer to Iowa than UT but he's proven he can pull kids from one region to another. Perhaps he does the same here. McDonnell has made a living off of pulling the best of the Midwest to UofL and selling them on coming and playing in "warmer" weather. Getting to play in Columbia, SC in March beats the hell out of Lincoln, NE in March.

BG, despite being in the SEC. The University of Arkansas is a midwestern school. However, I do agree that he should be able to use those contacts to recruit midwestern players to the SEC. Then, as he creates contacts in the southeast, the recruiting area would be larger than it has been for UT.

As I said, I'm OK with the hire but no experience in this area is a matter of concern. As is, the fact, Mizzou didn't hire him last year. There may be an answer to that one and I would like to hear it.

VN Store

Back