Describe Derek Dooley in one sentence

CDD: He's a better coach than you think you know.

NegaVols (and other naysayers): They're practitioners of Jerry Springerism.

For those that keep comparing him to Shula, here is a comparison so far.

First Year
Dooley 6-7
9th recruiting class

First Year
Shula 4-9
49th recruiting class

Second Year
Dooley - TBD
13th recruiting class

Second Year
Shula - 6-6
15th recruiting class

Shula then went 10-2 and 6-6 with the 18th and 11th classes.

I really like what you bring to this site and tos, 33. But this thread has me scratchin my head.

Agree 100%!! I think that many on here would risk cheating just to get a ring!! That's NOT the Tennessee way!!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Unfortunately and based on a number of posts on this board, you're right. Instant gratification people tend to be the type to cut corners when it serves their wants, and they're always in a state of WANT. What they don't realize (or perhaps even care about) is the long term costs to both an institution and the individuals who pass through that institution. Outcomes range from the institution's lost of prestige, integrity, reputation, and eventually future success to former players living under bridges because they were discarded when their playing days were over. Some only needed 2-3 courses to achieve their degree but lost the chance due to practice and playing demands. People who don't care about such things have it clear with the types of posts on this board. CDD is the man to bring real meaning back to the UT Football program. But not if instant gratification people have their way.

He's our Mike Shula...let's hope we find a Saban down the road.

Saban won an NC, but last year he lost 3 games. His first year was not exactly stellar. He could have a repeat this year.

When people say DD will or will not be successful, what is that based on? Just an opinion.

After U.T. strikes out on the A.D. hire,Coach Dooley will be our A.D. Would be a top 5 national A.D.

A man with a plan that may not get to execute it because of inbred hillbillies with no patience and a false sense that our program is better than it is.

After U.T. strikes out on the A.D. hire,Coach Dooley will be our A.D. Would be a top 5 national A.D.

Should work out perfectly.....move Dooley to A.D. and bring in Peyton as HC to take us back to the glory days. This lockout could be a blessin'....woo wee the future is lookin mighty bright.

hard to figure out if people are downing him to put themselves in a win-win situation. "If he sucks, I was right. If he wins a title, who cares VOLS win."

He's our Mike Shula...let's hope we find a Saban down the road.

Dooley has the rare potential to be both. First he has to rebuild us (Shula). Then take us to the mountain top (Saban). He has a chance to do both. We are clearly rebuilding, right now. Years 5 thru 8 will be the beginning of the big-time around here (IMO). We need three to four solid classes (top 15) just to get up to LSU and Bama's overall talent level. Then when he begins to land a couple 5 stars, they will be the icing on the cake. Right now the cake is still being mixed. Then it has to bake. Then cool. Then be iced. Patience will be required. Way more than one sentence!

Dooley has the rare potential to be both. First he has to rebuild us (Shula). Then take us to the mountain top (Saban). He has a chance to do both. We are clearly rebuilding, right now. Years 5 thru 8 will be the beginning of the big-time around here (IMO). We need three to four solid classes (top 15) just to get up to LSU and Bama's overall talent level. Then when he begins to land a couple 5 stars, they will be the icing on the cake. Right now the cake is still being mixed. Then it has to bake. Then cool. Then be iced. Patience will be required. Way more than one sentence!

In order for Dooley to get to year 5, he's going to have to win quite a bit in years 3 and 4.

I don't understand the Negavols on Dooley. Two top 15 classes. Came in and stablized a program in chaos. Took a undermanned and inexperienced team and got us to a bowl game, and was a heartbeat away from getting us 8 wins. Anyone here think for a minute that Fulmer or Kiffin could have done that last year?

Please tell me what else he could have done to this point that would make you guys happy? I admit that when he was first hired I was a little worried. I didn't know a whole lot about him, and thought he could have been a panic hire, but since then he has done nothing but impress me. I really think he is the right man for us. I believe that he will be the man that gets us back to the top of the mountain.

I got a very good feeling that a lot of people on here is going to be eating crow in a couple years. Go Vols

This! He's done about as good as you can do given the situation he came into. The problem is a lot of fans, especially on this site, lack intelligence and only look at winning %. You can only make an educated opinion when you factor in all the variables. With all the changes,players leaving,lack of talent etc... We could have easily been a 4 win team last year under a lot of coaches.
I'm not saying he is a great coach because he hasn't proved it yet. I do think he has done a great job thus far and I'm excited about our future.

VN Store

Back