democrats more intelligent people as a whole than republicans?

I would not say that Republicans have reached a new level stupid; I would say that right now the GOP panders to individuals that want a tyranny of the masses and the DNC panders to individuals that want a tyranny of the minority. Neither party, as a whole, stands for liberty.

I would not say that Republicans have reached a new level stupid; I would say that right now the GOP panders to individuals that want a tyranny of the masses and the DNC panders to individuals that want a tyranny of the minority. Neither party, as a whole, stands for liberty.

Look at you!! Well said.

How often do we agree?

true. both parties are dishonest for the sake of political expediency.

as far as intelligence. there are smart people on both sides, as well as idiots. it's just a dumb argument - which should say something about the person asking the question.

I had an international business professor who would often say " if you're in college and you're not liberal you don't have a heart. If you're 40 in the real world and you're not conservative you don't have a brain."
I found this to be true in my life. I would go on to say if you're over 40 and identify yourself with either party you lack intelligence.

All my life I had heard that quote attributed to Winston Churchill. Apparently, that's false. It was originally uttered by a French politician named Francois Guizot (1787-1874) who said "Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head."

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine who is in the movie business about how so many famous actors are liberal and he said the reason why 85% of Hollywood is liberal is because many actors are educated and the left is a much more valid political position than anything the right has to offer, with its denial of science and pandering to the rich at the expense of the poor. Hollywood is liberal because most intelligent people are leftist and most intelligent people are leftist because it is the RIGHT way to think.

Would you say that this is true? Are most of the smarter people democrats? I guess it does kind of make sense. It doesn't change my position as a centrist but it does kind of make me glad I'm not a republican.

It's one thing to argue that Democrats are more intelligent than Republicans, but citing Hollywood as the source of intelligence you're referring to is a very strange way to go about it.

It's one thing to argue that Democrats are more intelligent than Republicans, but citing Hollywood as the source of intelligence you're referring to is a very strange way to go about it.

But, Martin Sheen was the president...right?

I do believe that, at this current point in time (and that is an important distinction), a lot of the arguments from the left are more intellectually honest and internally consistent.

A significant reason for this is that the traditional right, the conservative point of view, is having a bit of a crisis of conscience when it comes to the patent inconsistency in its view of "liberty" and the role of government in curtailing behavior that conservatives find morally distasteful.

This is represented most starkly at the moment by Ron Paul and Rick Santorum. Paul adheres to a libertarian point of view and wants government out of our lives, including the bedroom. Santorum wants government to promote certain values by restricting freedom. The two points of view are irreconcilable.

The left gets to straddle the fence and say it wants to use government to promote liberty, which it contends is tied to inequitable wealth distribution and so fixes it by using government as a means to curb that end.

The ideological struggle on the right lends itself to liberals advancing a better defined and consistent position.

Not sure about all of that. Liberals tend to talk about what should be, whereas Conservatives talk about what is. A Liberal will say no one should go hungry and a Conservative will point out that everyone has equal opportunity. It makes the Conservative sound heartless, but in fact he speaks the truth. My kids can sit and dream about having cell phones, laptops etc, but think I'm heartless when I give them a list of ways they can earn these things.

My mother in law gives her 42 year old son everything he asks for and then laments that he won't get up and take care of his own needs. Our government continuously extends unemployment benefits and then complains that they can't get the unemployment rates down below 8%. I see a correlation.

Reactions: 1 person
I was having a discussion with a friend of mine who is in the movie business about how so many famous actors are liberal and he said the reason why 85% of Hollywood is liberal is because many actors are educated and the left is a much more valid political position than anything the right has to offer, with its denial of science and pandering to the rich at the expense of the poor. Hollywood is liberal because most intelligent people are leftist and most intelligent people are leftist because it is the RIGHT way to think.

Would you say that this is true? Are most of the smarter people democrats? I guess it does kind of make sense. It doesn't change my position as a centrist but it does kind of make me glad I'm not a republican.

Hollywood is full of idiots. They are not educated. Whenever you see a group so widely tied to a political organization, it's probably not because they are smarter than the general public. More likely it's because they benefit from their political stance or maybe there is resistance to questioning the norm. Hollywood has been accused of blackballing people that are against abortion, gay marriage, etc. So it seems as if dissenting opinions are not very welcome.

Hollywood is full of idiots. They are not educated. Whenever you see a group so widely tied to a political organization, it's probably not because they are smarter than the general public. More likely it's because they benefit from their political stance or maybe there is resistance to questioning the norm. Hollywood has been accused of blackballing people that are against abortion, gay marriage, etc. So it seems as if dissenting opinions are not very welcome.

People tend to equate a role someone played with their actual intelligence. You do a decent acting job reciting lines someone else wrote and suddenly you are a genius.

So rich people aren't educated?

I am not making a comment one way or another as to whom is smarter between Republicans and Democrats, but having an education doesn't necessarily equate to high intelligence. There are literally tons and tons of overachievers academically.

I am not making a comment one way or another as to whom is smarter between Republicans and Democrats, but having an education doesn't necessarily equate to high intelligence. There are literally tons and tons of overachievers academically.

That is true. The smartest guy I know sucks crap out of septic tanks. He could hang with most PhDs I've met in my life on almost any issue.

All my life I had heard that quote attributed to Winston Churchill. Apparently, that's false. It was originally uttered by a French politician named Francois Guizot (1787-1874) who said "Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head."

Interesting. As I recall the Dr. did attribute that quote to Churchill.

I do believe that, at this current point in time (and that is an important distinction), a lot of the arguments from the left are more intellectually honest and internally consistent.

BS - just look at their attitude on entitlement spending, social justice and paying a "fair share". It's populist crap that simply will not work.

A significant reason for this is that the traditional right, the conservative point of view, is having a bit of a crisis of conscience when it comes to the patent inconsistency in its view of "liberty" and the role of government in curtailing behavior that conservatives find morally distasteful.

Dem's do the same - look at all the social and environmental justice crap. That is straight up legislation of morality.

This is represented most starkly at the moment by Ron Paul and Rick Santorum. Paul adheres to a libertarian point of view and wants government out of our lives, including the bedroom. Santorum wants government to promote certain values by restricting freedom. The two points of view are irreconcilable.

This is no more irreconcilable than Obama's view of the role of government (green investments, environmental regulation, etc. etc.) and claim to be pro-free market, pro-business, pro-economic growth.

The left gets to straddle the fence and say it wants to use government to promote liberty, which it contends is tied to inequitable wealth distribution and so fixes it by using government as a means to curb that end.

Huh? How is that any more intellectually honest?

The ideological struggle on the right lends itself to liberals advancing a better defined and consistent position.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Both sides have rampant inconsistencies in their platforms.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back