Dee Williams' Instagram Post

Makes a lot of sense. With Thornton injured and possibly moving outside when he returns, we don’t really have another true slot option (Nimrod has played some there). And who else would you want to see catch a quick screen on this team?

Just a reminder to the enthusiastic and imaginative that Dee comes in initially to fill the bottom spot on the WR depth chart. Every true freshman is months ahead of him in knowledge and preparation.

He will have to learn the plays, the routes, the blocking assignments, the reads, the offensive calls, the signals from the sidelines--everything--and it may all be totally new to him.

Yes, I guess it's possible they could put Dee out on the field to receive a WR screen and see what he could do with that. But what if the defense switches, making that play, that route, the wrong call? What then? Will he know his assignment in the play Milton switches to? Do you waste a time-out to get him out of there? And even if he successfully runs one play, there will still have to be a substitution for him, which allows the defense to also substitute. Maybe it's worth it. Maybe not.

These are all considerations that have to be made before putting Dee (and his incredible talent) on the field at WR. He has a lot to learn, and I feel sure the hope is that he could be ready to play if absolutely necessary in 3-4 weeks. But we need to understand that he has been moved there initially as insurance against losing 3 more WRs to injury before this season ends.

As another way to inform and manage our expectations, consider that Iamaleava joined the team in time to participate in Orange Bowl practices. Would you have expected him to play QB in the Orange Bowl?

Just a reminder to the enthusiastic and imaginative that Dee comes in initially to fill the bottom spot on the WR depth chart. Every true freshman is months ahead of him in knowledge and preparation.

He will have to learn the plays, the routes, the blocking assignments, the reads, the offensive calls, the signals from the sidelines--everything--and it may all be totally new to him.

Yes, I guess it's possible they could put Dee out on the field to receive a WR screen and see what he could do with that. But what if the defense switches, making that play, that route, the wrong call? What then? Will he know his assignment in the play Milton switches to? Do you waste a time-out to get him out of there? And even if he successfully runs one play, there will still have to be a substitution for him, which allows the defense to also substitute. Maybe it's worth it. Maybe not.

These are all considerations that have to be made before putting Dee (and his incredible talent) on the field at WR. He has a lot to learn, and I feel sure the hope is that he could be ready to play if absolutely necessary in 3-4 weeks. But we need to understand that he has been moved there initially as insurance against losing 3 more WRs to injury before this season ends.

As another way to inform and manage our expectations, consider that Iamaleava joined the team in time to participate in Orange Bowl practices. Would you have expected him to play QB in the Orange Bowl?
I get all that, but I don't think there's a more electric player on our team with the ball in his hands. Screens, slants, reverses, counters, out of backfield into flat...all pretty easy ways to get him the ball without full playbook and limited experience.

They are FINALLY going to RACE EACH OTHER in the 40!

40YardAustinGoodwin_original.gif

IF Dee plays offense, I would think they'll just design a few packages for him, not ask him to learn the position completely.

Way to be positive

Dude is a burner. Can't be bad to get the ball in his hands a few more times a game.
True, but I think folks might be getting out over their skis on this one. As a return man, he's already "in space". To get him there in the context of an offense where DBs are playing him one on one, is a bit different. Not saying this staff won't scheme ways to do it, but as a defense, one would be looking for #3 to appear on the field and unless he's a regular on offense, you'd have to imagine they'll have a clue that something is up. Having said that, we didn't seem to bat an eye when Legette appeared on the punt team so maybe these coaches just aren't that smart/observant? Hope Dee can provide a spark, but it's hard to imagine that he'll be proficient as a WR and know the offense well enough in 2 weeks to be much more than a decoy or perhaps a jet sweep or WR screen player come the aTm game. We really need Thornton healthy and dialed in sooner rather than later. Or we need Webb and Nimrod to grow up very, very quickly. I see one or both of those guys having a greater impact than Dee. Personally, I'm wondering if this isn't just a red herring designed to get the attention of our opponents? As guarded as this staff is with everything, With the Bru injury and talk about who helps make up for his loss, I find it a little too convenient that something like this hits the social media platforms. If nothing else, it will give opponents something to prepare for I guess.

Just pitiful that someone had to make a stupid play (block in the back) and rob Dee of a Return TD. Damn, will these ST guys ever learn? I you can see his number, don't hit him.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Our offense doesn’t do “packages”. We aren’t going to run him in for a play then sub him out. We don’t sub. It’s just not how our offense works. I’d love to see it cause Dee is incredible with the ball in this hands but I just don’t think we’re gonna see him contribute on offense. It’s just not how our offense works imo

Reactions: CSVol and DaddyChad
I would love to see him get a jet sweep or toss and let him run out on the perimeter. I'm not expecting much from him in the Slot downfield as this Offense takes a while to learn because of all the option routes.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

VN Store

Back